Made it to the farm today

Im no buckwheat expert either... but Id take short buckwheat over weeds any day! Big or small, It should still be providing a benefit to the soil.

I planted buckwheat with sunflowers around July 1 and its flowered and about 18-20" high now.

I'm going to have to try some buckwheat next year, I've heard it's really good for the bees too.

Some of my first crop of buckwheat grew almost three feet tall this summer. It had plenty of light and timely rain. My second crop was about 4 inches tall at two weeks without any rain. We’ve had a few showers the last week out there so I’m hoping at four weeks old this weekend it’s at least grown a little. If it’s floweiring like yours and keeping weeds down that’s good enough.

Our BW usually flowers at about 18" to 20". It usually tops out at about 30" tall. When it turns yellowish and has hard seed set, deer don't bother with it here - but the turkeys, grouse and other birds hammer it. Deer eat it from about 6" tall until it starts to turn yellow here. At that point, WR can be seeded into it. We just let our BW decay down for more OM in the soil, and it provides a kind of mulch for the rye.

We aren't experts by any means, but that's what works for us at camp.

Cmon Bill even I can grow better buckwheat than that :emoji_sunglasses:

Cmon Bill even I can grow better buckwheat than that :emoji_sunglasses:

Yea but it actually rains at your place. :emoji_relaxed:

I planted 50 American plums as bare root seedlings about 6 years ago. There trowing good fruit this year and root suckering like crazy.

image.png

Put the ozone shed up today.
image.png

Spent a bit of time tying down some scraping branches today. Parachute cord works great for putting a licking branch where one isn't.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

The bare dirt is where I disked up lots of gly resistant pig weed before it could set seed. I put in brassicas. Did three other spray, throw and mow brassica plots too. Haven't mowed yet.

Here is my favorite picture. I put in the brassica's during a drought just hoping it would work out. I'll need more but a bad lightening storm just rolled through. Pic taken 2 minutes ago....

image.png

I love it when it rains at a perfect time!
Hope my plums look that good in a few years, I'm on year 3...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hopefully this cold front moving through missouri tonight and tomorrow will dump some rain down on our plots.

Keep us posted on how your throw and mow brassicas do. I'd like to be able to do it down there but with rain being such a crap shoot I haven't attemtped it yet. Curious as to why you don't run them through your drill?

I use 550 cord for all sorts of things and licking branches is jut one of them! That o-zone shed is going to get you visited by the law. They gonna think your growing weed or cooking meth in there! Plums look great. Do you know what kind they are. I am considering adding some to a shrub project of mine.

Keep us posted on how your throw and mow brassicas do. I'd like to be able to do it down there but with rain being such a crap shoot I haven't attemtped it yet. Curious as to why you don't run them through your drill?

Plain old laziness. It's just easier to put the broadcaster on the side by side then it is to hook up the drill. Throw and grow worked for me last summer but the plot had a lot of pig weed in it.

image.png

I use 550 cord for all sorts of things and licking branches is jut one of them! That o-zone shed is going to get you visited by the law. They gonna think your growing weed or cooking meth in there! Plums look great. Do you know what kind they are. I am considering adding some to a shrub project of mine.

Honestly I don't remember where I ordered them from. Probably cold stream. But I do remember they were advertised as American Plums.

plums look good, gotta fight the birds for mine, usually get only a few for me, enough to eat straight off the tree, and enough to make one pie

I planted 50 American plums as bare root seedlings about 6 years ago. There trowing good fruit this year and root suckering like crazy.

View attachment 19810

Put the ozone shed up today.
View attachment 19816

Spent a bit of time tying down some scraping branches today. Parachute cord works great for putting a licking branch where one isn't.

View attachment 19812

View attachment 19813

View attachment 19814

The bare dirt is where I disked up lots of gly resistant pig weed before it could set seed. I put in brassicas. Did three other spray, throw and mow brassica plots too. Haven't mowed yet.

Here is my favorite picture. I put in the brassica's during a drought just hoping it would work out. I'll need more but a bad lightening storm just rolled through. Pic taken 2 minutes ago....

View attachment 19815

What’s your plan for the ozone shack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll wager 2 scions that is gonna be his hunting clothes de stink shack.

Mik is right. All our clothes get washed then hung in the shed. Out the back door from the shower and into the shed to dress.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/ozone-clothing-shed.6445/#post-154575
Iv read some guys that where using commercial ozone units ran them to long in to small area. They said the ozone generator will destroy rubber and elastics. They had destroyed thousands of dollars of hunting clothing. Be careful.

Plain old laziness. It's just easier to put the broadcaster on the side by side then it is to hook up the drill. Throw and grow worked for me last summer but the plot had a lot of pig weed in it.

View attachment 19819

Plot looks good and we didn't have any rain last year either. I'll try the throw and mow next year and see how it goes.

I made it out again today, got a lot done,
seeded plot 7 with evolve mean bean crush + purple top turnip
plot 9 got plot spike clover
plot 11 got medium red clover + purple top
plot 12 got medium red, crimson, and purple top
plot 13 got crimson and purple top
plot 15 7 card stud + purple top

plots 4 , 8 and 14 are in maintain mode for medium red while plots 5 and 6 need to dry the heck out, both have weeps in them that are tractor traps. Not sure what will go into plots 5 and 6, kind of depends on when they dry out and how much growing season is left.

I might go back to a few of the plots at the end of september to see what ground is showing through, and decide if there is room for WR.

all this rain lately should make it easy to attack grasses in clover with cleth, I might even see if I can wrestle up some 24DB and attack some non desired pests in a second year medium red plot.

also seems the farmers 26 acre dent corn field looks pretty far along, bet he cuts a week before thanksgiving this year, leaving me room for a few acres of WR.