Made it to the farm today

Your plum trees have my very curious to see if they would work here, they look AWESOME! Everything does.
I've got a decent spring order in at Coldstream already for nut and berry shrubs, I'm going to have to ad some plums!
What size did you plant? Protection? bug or browse issues?

Plot looks good and we didn't have any rain last year either. I'll try the throw and mow next year and see how it goes.

Don't forget the spray part. I spray, seed then mow a few days later. Last years plot was planted August 15. I planted in July but the pig weed just took over. So I killed everything and started over. Pig weed came back but the turnips already had the jump on it.

Iv read some guys that where using commercial ozone units ran them to long in to small area. They said the ozone generator will destroy rubber and elastics. They had destroyed thousands of dollars of hunting clothing. Be careful.

So far the only questionable thing was the elastic waistband in some base layers. But they are like 6 years old so ? Was it ozone or Chinese junk? Not problem with the boots or rubber coating on my binoculars so far. If it eats my boots every couple of years I can live it for the trade off.

Your plum trees have my very curious to see if they would work here, they look AWESOME! Everything does.
I've got a decent spring order in at Coldstream already for nut and berry shrubs, I'm going to have to ad some plums!
What size did you plant? Protection? bug or browse issues?

I posted that they were bare root. But now I remember that’s not right. They were large plugs. Probably about 12 to 18 iches tall. Planted in lumite and inside my electric fence nursery.

Fence is opened up now.

Well 5 weeks ago was my first attempt at buckwheat. They got a total of like 1 inch of rain combined in two rain events

At about 6 inches tall they decided they better flower.. I'm no buckwheat expert but I think it should be like 18 inches.
Oh well. They get nuked tomorrow and brasicas go in. My apologies again to anyone in the area. Me planting brassica's always causes more drought!

View attachment 19759
Can't get much more dry. We sprayed in late June then on July 14th mowed, broadcast with turnip, radish and rape followed by lime and fertilizer. Not much had come up as of August 4th. We also planted a 1/2 acre of pumpkins on July 14th that have come up but we hauled water to them twice. Hopefully the rain on August 6th helped some. My wild pear trees in the woods had many small pears in mid July but on August 4th most of them had fallen off the tree.

Can't get much more dry. We sprayed in late June then on July 14th mowed, broadcast with turnip, radish and rape followed by lime and fertilizer. Not much had come up as of August 4th. We also planted a 1/2 acre of pumpkins on July 14th that have come up but we hauled water to them twice. Hopefully the rain on August 6th helped some. My wild pear trees in the woods had many small pears in mid July but on August 4th most of them had fallen off the tree.

Monday night was a good soaker. Tuesday it was cloudy and misty. Not much rain Tuesday but at least the sun didn't come out and scorch everything. When I left this AM it was dry again except for the shady areas. The beans perked up and I found some turnip seeds that germinated. Hopefully the 60% chance on Tuesday amounts to something.

I've been meaning to swing by your place this summer but you know how it goes with a long list of to do's and short time to do it. Seems like there's always something. I'll get over there this fall.

I know a baby brassica isn't as exciting to everyone. But after the summer we've had it is to me. Look under the doe on the left. Those green sprouts should be brassica's!

And the weather man says it's raining right now...

Happy camper.

I planted a bit heavy here so the camera could tell me what was up.

image.jpeg

Sweet. Radar is lit up pretty well tonight. Hope you get a nice soaker. Been a tough year for most of MO. That pic makes me anxious to get some rubbing posts out next week.

I posted that they were bare root. But now I remember that’s not right. They were large plugs. Probably about 12 to 18 iches tall. Planted in lumite and inside my electric fence nursery.

Fence is opened up now.

I added some to my Coldstream spring order, hope they do half as well as yours. I'm going to mix them into my shrub strips.

He's not supposed to like brassica's until later :)

Must be the Rape seed he's found.
image.png

There growing...
image.png

And icing on the cake this afternoon. I've never been this lucky with brassica's

image.png

Nice! Glad to see your finally getting some rain.

Nice! Glad to see your finally getting some rain.

Thanks! It’s finally a good feeling. Some years it rains too much. Never a happy medium.

There growing...
View attachment 20232

And icing on the cake this afternoon. I've never been this lucky with brassica's

View attachment 20233

Is that your throw and mow planting? I've had over 5" in Western Putnam since planting brassicas in late July. Heading down this weekend for fall plots and it looks like we'll be dodging rain all weekend.......hard to believe after the dry summer.

Is that your throw and mow planting? I've had over 5" in Western Putnam since planting brassicas in late July. Heading down this weekend for fall plots and it looks like we'll be dodging rain all weekend.......hard to believe after the dry summer.

No, of the 4 plots I put in this is the only one I disked. It had a lot of pigweed and foxtail in it. The foxtail would be smoked by gly but not the pig weed. Don't know how the throw and grow plots are. I have a cam by one but it's far enough to away that the brassica's will have to be a foot tall before I'll see green.

Glad to see you got some rain....help green some things up for you. I got rain over the weekend and wondered if you had gotten any or not as I knew it was dry in your area.

Glad to see you got some rain....help green some things up for you. I got rain over the weekend and wondered if you had gotten any or not as I knew it was dry in your area.

Farm logs says since I planted my brassica's in early August we've gotten 12 inches of rain. Nice and spaced out too. I'm sure the deep soil still needs moisture but this helped a lot.

Just manual triggered theses.

This clover plot was brown in early August now I'm late in getting the foxtail mowed. I can see moisture in the bare dirt :)
image.jpeg

The only brassica's I can see on camera are here where they transition to beans. Hopefully the throw and grow plots are doing as well.

image.jpeg

I'll know later this week. Time to broadcast rye into those beans....

This square area the cursor is pointed to is next to my clover its about an acre strip of TnM brassica's. Something green is there just can't get a good enough pic to tell if it's weeds of turnips.

image.jpeg

Lets hope for turnips!

Farm logs says since I planted my brassica's in early August we've gotten 12 inches of rain. Nice and spaced out too. I'm sure the deep soil still needs moisture but this helped a lot.

Just manual triggered theses.

This clover plot was brown in early August now I'm late in getting the foxtail mowed. I can see moisture in the bare dirt :)
View attachment 20499

The only brassica's I can see on camera are here where they transition to beans. Hopefully the throw and grow plots are doing as well.

View attachment 20500

I'll know later this week. Time to broadcast rye into those beans....

Spaced out! Do you call 5, 5, and 2 spaced out? LOL. At least that's what I got up your way...

Spaced out! Do you call 5, 5, and 2 spaced out? LOL. At least that's what I got up your way...

:emoji_laughing:I didn’t get that much at once.

We did get a couple 3”. But I lucked into about 4 thunderstorms that dropped 1/2” or less in between.