All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Kerr?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I was just scanning Cummins' site and they have Kerr on MM-111 listed as available for Spring 2021. They have it listed under DR apples, and also in their crab apple section. I believe they have Kerr on some other rootstocks as well.

Just a FYI.

I ordered one Bows. I am coming around to the wisdom of adding more crabs to the mix.

Now, I have to find a better way to label my trees, but that is another thread.

I ordered one Bows. I am coming around to the wisdom of adding more crabs to the mix.

Nothing like all of the crabs from Dolgo and bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandbur, Stu Smith (from a while back) and Greyphase are the ones who convinced me to go with a bunch of crabs. It helped that we had a few un-named smaller "bird crabs" at camp from about 20 years ago that just seem to always produce with no real care. That's why I've got 4 MORE crabs coming from Blue Hill this spring!! 2 are from Sandbur's place. :emoji_wink:

f059714b85be2da17b4945c16072646f.jpg

Even flowering crabs are getting use as I had a poor apple crop this year. I harvested most of my crabs for cider and sauce.

^^^^^^ Sandbur mentioned flowering crabs attracting deer. About 40 years ago, a cousin who I hunted deer with called me to go help rake up some small crab apples along a road near home. They were flowering, ornamental crabs in front of a business. We raked up about 2 bushels worth and took them to his house where we dumped them on the ground behind his place. Those crab apples were 1/2" dia. and smelled like cider. The deer had every one cleaned up in 2 days!!

Bur's pic above proves the same point. Even small crab apples will feed deer.

^^^^^^ Sandbur mentioned flowering crabs attracting deer. About 40 years ago, a cousin who I hunted deer with called me to go help rake up some small crab apples along a road near home. They were flowering, ornamental crabs in front of a business. We raked up about 2 bushels worth and took them to his house where we dumped them on the ground behind his place. Those crab apples were 1/2" dia. and smelled like cider. The deer had every one cleaned up in 2 days!!

And they will feed partridge (grouse) and evening an occasional pheasant.
Turkeys?

^^^^^^ Yep - turkeys too. We've seen turkeys foraging around our smaller crab apple trees. The deer make circular ruts around the cages picking up every dropper.

Those small native crabs are all we had for apple trees until last year. They hang well into winter and the deer are under them all winter long.

I already have Dolgo and Chestnut crabs....along with some other apples. Always interested in a different variety...

Are Kerr on the bigger side (fruit wise) for a crab apple or more on the smaller side?

When does the fruit typically fall?

I already have Dolgo and Chestnut crabs....along with some other apples. Always interested in a different variety...

Are Kerr on the bigger side (fruit wise) for a crab apple or more on the smaller side?

When does the fruit typically fall?

Yes larger, up to 2". Starts to drop in late October and can hold into December.

Yes larger, up to 2". Starts to drop in late October and can hold into December.

Some years, Kerr has held later. I don’t know what makes the difference.

Check posts 13 and 22, Crabapple Timeline.

It seems like there might be another picture of Kerr buried in there.

In post 22, I had picked most of the apples, but left a few to see what would happen.

Kerr can be loaded with fruit . I have stripped blossoms off of the central leader.

I have posted this before but if I could only have one tree it would be Kerr. Leaves are spotless, FB resistant, zone 3, apples hang for all of deer season. What else could you want.

Check posts 13 and 22, Crabapple Timeline.

It seems like there might be another picture of Kerr buried in there.

In post 22, I had picked most of the apples, but left a few to see what would happen.

Kerr can be loaded with fruit . I have stripped blossoms off of the central leader.

That is an extensive thread there....to be honest I had not looked at it before... but I will be back as there is a ton of wonderful information there....thank you! I have been interested in crabs as they simply seem to be more disease resistant....the dolgo and chestnuts I have are not yet big enough to produce fruit, but I am always on the search for a soft mast source that drops fruit in November and those that produce bigger fruit (since that is my primary hunting month here). I will certainly add Kerr to the mix at some point... If I get half as good of results as you do I will be thrilled!!

I have posted this before but if I could only have one tree it would be Kerr. Leaves are spotless, FB resistant, zone 3, apples hang for all of deer season. What else could you want.
To actually be able to find some to buy is what I want.