All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logging Roads

Ck1084

A good 3 year old buck
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm getting ready to place a seed order and I want to experiment on my logging roads.

It's leased land so I can't cut any trees to open the canopy. I have tried red, white, and durana in the past. They seem to start good, but peter out by summer.

I was thinking of trying to spring plant some crimson clover, then around labor day overseeding it heavy with Winter Rye. Winter Rye seems to be the only thing that I can consistently get to grow in the woods. I was just curious if other have had success with Winter wheat, buckwheat, crimson, radish, or something I'm not evening thinking of before I waste anymore time or money.

I have used horse oats (horse feed) successfully in the woods. It will give out a bit when the canopy fills in. But it grows in almost any conditions. At like $12 for a 50lb bag, it seems viable. If/when it gives out, it just lays down and becomes a bit of OM so if you have this year to year, you're helping the ground. Plus this needs absolutely zero amendments like fertilizer, etc.

I think this link will jump you to some photos from the Throw and Mow thread where there is also other commentary.
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/the-throw-n’-mow-method.5510/page-70#post-207836

Sucraseed high sugar rye. Is my pick for those areas

Thanks 35 Acre. I do have access to cheap oat $3 for 25lbs, but I haven't had much luck. It grows great for a couple weeks, everything gets green, then it lays over and dies. I suspect there isn't enough light getting down to them. Have you ever tried Winter wheat in the woods? I have access to that pretty cheap as well. If not I'm thinking Winter Rye may be the way to go.

I've never heard of that Northbound. I'll have to do some research on that.

I started on my logging roads four years ago. I opened them up to sunlight by cutting down or hinge cutting the smaller trees. I did A soil test and began the process of adding lime. I don’t recall the actual reading but I’m still adding lime every year. My PH was in the 4s. labor Day weekend the first year I disced the ground and spread rye and oats. I think it was at a rate of 50 pounds per acre the first year but I don’t recall exactly. I also added 6lbs per acre of Ladino white clover. The following spring I frost seeded a mix of Kopu 2 and Ladino. i continue to overseed rye and oats each year and put down a little new clover seed. They’re still patchy in places but other areas look like the pictures below. They get lots of use year round. Here’s one thing though - I expected deer would walk down the logging roads right past my stand locations. That’s not what happens. Even with hinge cuts and blockades the deer still cross or enter the logging roads in a perpendicular fashion. Ive adjusted my hunting strategy to adapt to their movements. I’ve since opened up three bigger 1/4 acre to 1/3 acre plots in the woods but the logging roads are still an important feature in my habitat plan. The clover in the spring really comes to life and the overseeded rye and oats are an added attraction for sure. My property is small, just under 36 acres, so the logging roads are an important feature. You can see that even in the real shady areas the rye and clover do just fine. Sunlight is better, but shaded trails still provide some food and stay greener in the heat of the summer and early fall.
43D4917E-795D-4D1F-BEF9-45DCC9A330DD.jpeg9AE21F4D-72CE-4551-B805-7C87F3366FBE.jpegE66F8DD5-24AE-4BE4-9F9B-94DB51479A6A.jpegAC7E09B5-0F9A-4744-A257-B504F6240C1C.jpeg

Wow that's really encouraging Someday isle, you have some really good clover growth in the middle of the woods!

I have a similar property, as mine is only about 60 acres but its divided by a road. So the part we hunt is closer to 40-45 acres. I have 2 small 0.35-0.5 acre food plots that I plant with turnips/radish and oats. If I could add my logging roads to the mix I would effectively double my food on the property.

That's interesting about the deer movement. I was planning on placing 2-3 stands along the trail (runs SW to NE) as I assumed they would walk along it. It sounds like they may do the opposite and I may have to adjust that strategy.

You’ll definitely have deer using it. You just have to find where their travel patterns and entry points are on the trails. It’s not that they won’t walk up and down them. Depending on your goals you'll have success. The second year the clover really took off. We’re not after big deer or managing a herd on a small property. If you’re happy filling a few antlerless tags and an occasional buck then our small properties are great places to hunt. You’ll be just fine with a few small plots and your logging roads. At least it works for use

There was a post on this last year.

One of my food plots was wrecked by logging this fall (not my land). I went back and found my Dr. Deer Pear tree survived, the drivers must have went around it? The skidder tracks are crazy and it is like the plowed the land for me. Unfortunately they compacted it too. I decided to dump 10 bags of powder lime and clover seed it. I will keep you posted. No clue how it will turn out?

I started on my logging roads four years ago. I opened them up to sunlight by cutting down or hinge cutting the smaller trees. I did A soil test and began the process of adding lime. I don’t recall the actual reading but I’m still adding lime every year. My PH was in the 4s. labor Day weekend the first year I disced the ground and spread rye and oats. I think it was at a rate of 50 pounds per acre the first year but I don’t recall exactly. I also added 6lbs per acre of Ladino white clover. The following spring I frost seeded a mix of Kopu 2 and Ladino. i continue to overseed rye and oats each year and put down a little new clover seed. They’re still patchy in places but other areas look like the pictures below. They get lots of use year round. Here’s one thing though - I expected deer would walk down the logging roads right past my stand locations. That’s not what happens. Even with hinge cuts and blockades the deer still cross or enter the logging roads in a perpendicular fashion. Ive adjusted my hunting strategy to adapt to their movements. I’ve since opened up three bigger 1/4 acre to 1/3 acre plots in the woods but the logging roads are still an important feature in my habitat plan. The clover in the spring really comes to life and the overseeded rye and oats are an added attraction for sure. My property is small, just under 36 acres, so the logging roads are an important feature. You can see that even in the real shady areas the rye and clover do just fine. Sunlight is better, but shaded trails still provide some food and stay greener in the heat of the summer and early fall.
View attachment 29157View attachment 29158View attachment 29159View attachment 29160

Did you have to add soil or re-level the dirt on the logging trail? Had mine done last fall and I have a lot of standing water from where the equipment went through..

Did you have to add soil or re-level the dirt on the logging trail? Had mine done last fall and I have a lot of standing water from where the equipment went through..

No - but they were old and overgrown when I bought the property - I think about seven years old from what I learned from a neighbor. I had to clear mine and had perfect weather the first time I disced them with my ATV. There had been enough moisture without them being too muddy. I don’t have any standing water to deal with at all.

Sucraseed high sugar rye. Is my pick for those areas

I planted some in my early years, I will admit, the deer eat it, and it has been very resilient and thick, and chokes off anything else that tries to grow next to it. It does tend to spread a little over time, and it drinks gly and only gets stronger. I have dissed it up, and a few weeks later comes back like nothing happened. I guess if I wanted a zero maintenance food plot, the deer will eat, and I never wanted to plant anything but, this would be my choice. Or even on slopes, it would work great.

My camp will be logged this summer, so this is timely information guys. My primary objective is erosion control, and if the deer enjoy eating it, all the better.

It appears there is no silver bullet, but if I understand this correctly, one approach is to seed a mix of oats and rye (avoiding the sugar rye) this fall. Then seed again in the spring using oats, rye, and adding a mix of Kopu 2 and ladino white clover. Am I missing anything here?

That’s a good starting plan. Just be ready to adapt. I frost seed the clover in the spring but I only plant the rye and oats in the fall. The fall planted clover puts down its roots in the fall and over winter and then takes off in the spring. Frost seeding clover helps fill in the bare spots. Late spring is a good time to re-evaluate and you can throw in some oats or buckwheat if you have bare spots. Buckwheat is easy as long as there’s some sun. I’ve had great luck with buckwheat in sunny plots but it struggles on a shaded trail. Hopefully your clover does well enough that you can establish it long term. I’ve not spring planted rye but there’s nothing wrong with just letting the winter rye mature and leaving it lay to reseed itself the next year. And that would definitely help with erosion.

Prior video limed and seeded,.. this video from a week or so ago. They seem to be coming up well!!!

First time I ever limed and seeded all in one,.. just a hit and run.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>