All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the stand thread

Dead here. Saw a doe and a fawn. Real quiet.

Dead here. Saw a doe and a fawn. Real quiet.
Northern Illinois sure sounds different than central New Hampshire. Or I suck at hunting. Or both. Probably both.
When I see a doe and a fawn I'm amped.

It was all small bucks. All I have on camera is small bucks. I am certain this doe is the one I passed last time I hunted this stand. This time she offered a much better shot. 2 blade rage did its job but left a meager blood trail. My brother thinks I am an idiot for killing a doe during the rut, but frankly Id burn my either deer tag on another doe if the opportunity presented itself.

We've always had a (bad?) habit of killing does during rut or whenever offered. Can't deny a man his deer chops.

Frosty start to a beautiful day in Clay Co. Chuck has already text me he had does under his stand so I'm hoping they're moving today.
428e7d349f7ee2a3aa8fc8a161b71a38.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We've always had a (bad?) habit of killing does during rut or whenever offered. Can't deny a man his deer chops.
Can't feed antlers to your family.

One of the 4 bucks that came through this morning. It's been a fun weekend of hunting so far. Lots of deer running around acting stupid!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

After getting back from Alberta and taking that big buck this week, thought i would not go out on my home farm today. Well I should never have glassed the west field this morning at 6 am. There were 9 does feeding and one really nice 10 pt working them for about 20 minutes ... this afternoon I may not get as much work done as I thought .. :emoji_grimacing:

So I did a little recon today. A big scrape/rub line has popped up on the SSE corner that goes straight north through the turnips. Just ne of my stand is a scrape that is the size of a pickup bed. Predicted NE wind tomorrow afternoon. Think they will be back in there so quick after I walked through a little bit ago?

Rut is in full swing.

So I did a little recon today. A big scrape/rub line has popped up on the SSE corner that goes straight north through the turnips. Just ne of my stand is a scrape that is the size of a pickup bed. Predicted NE wind tomorrow afternoon. Think they will be back in there so quick after I walked through a little bit ago?

Rut is in full swing.
This time of year I wouldn't hesitate to hunt fresh sign no matter how much I had stomped around in the area. I checked my wind app though and it doesn't have north winds scheduled until will after dark tomorrow. I hope it's wrong (wish north winds were moving in tonight!)...

This time of year I wouldn't hesitate to hunt fresh sign no matter how much I had stomped around in the area. I checked my wind app though and it doesn't have north winds scheduled until will after dark tomorrow. I hope it's wrong (wish north winds were moving in tonight!)...
Supposed to start here around 8 am. If it were a few hours earlier I would be sitting on a main lake point trying to fool ducks

I just heard a grunt.

No wait..........that’s my stomach, should have packed a snack.

I just heard a grunt.

No wait..........that’s my stomach, should have packed a snack.
We bailed for lunch and to listen to the hog game. Should have packed a lunch.

Chuck just had two otters walk past him on top of the ridge.
215ff5bcead10975d00a193914399aa0.jpg

I had an otter by my stand this summer! The thing was huge! I spooked it and it ran off into the woods. So weird. I thought they were water animals.

Chuck just had two otters walk past him on top of the ridge.
215ff5bcead10975d00a193914399aa0.jpg

I had an otter by my stand this summer! The thing was huge! I spooked it and it ran off into the woods. So weird. I thought they were water animals.
Chuck said they spotted him in the stand pretty quick too.
We have a 4 acre pond not very far from his stand so I'm sure they're well fed on my fish.

Chuck said they spotted him in the stand pretty quick too.
We have a 4 acre pond not very far from his stand so I'm sure they're well fed on my fish.

You probably don’t have any fish left. :emoji_astonished:

I’d get after them...