Lithium camera batteries AA. Ouch!!

I've been running mine on 8mp usually. Do you think it's better to set them at 4?

Hard to know, could be different for different cams. Some might actually benefit from interpolation. I'd worry about it less with traditional cams too. With cell cams I'd wonder if the cam is taking a picture, interpolating (adding pixels) and then saving the larger file to SD, then removing pixels for the thumbnails to be sent, sending picture (if set to instant transmit) and not being able to trigger again until the thumbnail image is transmitted. It's just more things a cam has to do that I ASSUME takes additional energy and slows the camera's function in many cases. It definitely results in a lot more data to store pictures.

The current reconyx cams take 3MP pictures and they can have fantastic resolution which to me suggests there is likely more down side to upside to set these cameras on crazy high MP resolution and that the MP ratings manufacturers stick on them is to sell cameras more than take better pictures.

I've been running mine on 8mp usually. Do you think it's better to set them at 4?
Never tried that experiment. My old 5 mp cuddebacks are pretty good on batteries. I had a browing dark ops that was 20 mp and it was really good on batteries, especially since it only took 6 to begin with. I have some cheapo's that are 30 mp. They are by far the hardest on batteries. I keep them mid-range usually. Which I think is 12 mp. I have them all set to take pictures and video which I know kills batteries much quicker too.

I think the biggest thing for me is I don't want to have to carry around boxes and boxes of batteries when I go up. If lithiums could last a whole hunting season that would be really convenient.

Most years lately I start running the majority of my cams in late summer and keep them going thru shed season. Seems I can make that on 2 sets of Energizer Liths per cam. Many of mine go on scrapes or rubbing posts in food plots, so occasionally I get 300+ pics per day, especially in fall/winter. My kids started fooling around with video setting, which is neat, but I'm mainly interested in racks and age, and picture mode accomplishes that for me. Maybe we'll run 1 cam this fall on video just for fun. The Gardepros we're getting into are so much cheaper than the Brownings that it helps soften the blow from buying Liths.

Most years lately I start running the majority of my cams in late summer and keep them going thru shed season. Seems I can make that on 2 sets of Energizer Liths per cam. Many of mine go on scrapes or rubbing posts in food plots, so occasionally I get 300+ pics per day, especially in fall/winter. My kids started fooling around with video setting, which is neat, but I'm mainly interested in racks and age, and picture mode accomplishes that for me. Maybe we'll run 1 cam this fall on video just for fun. The Gardepros we're getting into are so much cheaper than the Brownings that it helps soften the blow from buying Liths.

When the camera is $34 and takes $24 of lithiums it's hard to keep track of which part is the disposable one! The Garde pros will likely get rayovac alkaline batteries this year.

When the camera is $34 and takes $24 of lithiums it's hard to keep track of which part is the disposable one! The Garde pros will likely get rayovac alkaline batteries this year.
It is what I use in all of mine. I have 10 of these and only run rayovac with the cameras in video mode. Typically I get 6-8 weeks out of them for running 20 sec day and night videos with around 800 videos recorded. Nearly all of my cameras are on UTV trails that get visited a few times a week, so I don't mind changing the batteries out more frequently. With these cameras, I would consider running shorter videos for the nighttime videos. The cameras use a lot more battery power for the IR flash. I couldn't even guess what you would get for battery life if you ran in photo only mode.

I have been having good luck finding sales at Fleet Farm and Menards for the Rayovacs.

Moultrie has mentioned that they are releasing a rechargeable lithium battery for their Mobile Edge line, and I am hoping it goes over well enough that the idea expands to other camera brands.

Theirs is designed as a full swap for the AA battery tray. They aren’t cheep (at $80 a pop) but they could definitely save you in the long run… especially if they keep them standard across multiple generations of cameras. That is only 2.5 times a full camera of AA’s at regular store prices, as that camera will take up to 16 batteries. 2.5 battery replacements isn’t a bad ROI time frame. One for each camera, and 2 or 3 spares to swap in the field would be a pretty good setup.

They are also releasing a solar panel with an integrated 10,000mah battery and 12 volt supply to power a camera. That one is $99 and would be dynamite in areas with decent sun exposure, and would be compatible with any brand that uses 12v hookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those ebl batteries were on this review

I wonder if it differs when just leaving the cams out in the woods taking the same # of pictures per cam for months compared to just putting them all on time-lapse like he did. Or doing videos, where I've noticed the biggest difference.

8 pack for $13.65, 1% off for 5+, 2% off for 10+, and 5% more off with code MICROFIVE.
Package shown is a 4 pack but says 8 pack and also in description(s) and invoice. Their 12 packs are out of stock as are their 4 packs.
https://www.microbattery.com/catalo...m-energizer-aa-photo-lithium-total-8pcs-1-bp/

Shipping was $3.95

8 pack for $13.65, 1% off for 5+, 2% off for 10+, and 5% more off with code MICROFIVE.
Package shown is a 4 pack but says 8 pack and also in description(s) and invoice. Their 12 packs are out of stock as are their 4 packs.
https://www.microbattery.com/catalo...m-energizer-aa-photo-lithium-total-8pcs-1-bp/

Shipping was $3.95

Seems too good to be true?

Seems too good to be true?

That's what I thought...but with the 12 pack being sold out and then the 4 as well- maybe people were seeing "4 pack" for the 8 count and moving on. Or they just have a boatload of them. Why else not just say they have the 12 and 4 as well? But it is strange they wouldn't charge more regardless with the crazy prices out there.
If you want to gamble and wait to see if they still have them after I receive mine you can wait until I post an update here. I'm not too concerned though as my cc company can deal with them if there are problems. I've screenshot all the pages involved.

And I received an email that it's been shipped. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
And I received an email that it's been shipped. Fingers crossed.

Update: Tracking for the shipment never showed any movement. They've responded quickly to inquiries- the latest saying that if there's nothing tomorrow they will start investigating it. I have had this happen(diff companies) before and the package ends up arriving- not even a final scan/update showing it's arrived, so there's still hope. I'd probably avoid ordering from this place though until this is resolved. If anyone else has ordered please leave feedback.

Update: Tracking for the shipment never showed any movement. They've responded quickly to inquiries- the latest saying that if there's nothing tomorrow they will start investigating it. I have had this happen(diff companies) before and the package ends up arriving- not even a final scan/update showing it's arrived, so there's still hope. I'd probably avoid ordering from this place though until this is resolved. If anyone else has ordered please leave feedback.
I ordered
I ordered mine last week after your post and received them in the mail today....so far so good🤷‍♂️

I ordered

I ordered mine last week after your post and received them in the mail today....so far so good🤷‍♂️
Did it have my name on it 🤨
That's good to know, thanks. I'm sure I'll get mine eventually or get a refund.

I’m experimenting with these cheap ones from Amazon. I put them in a Reconyx HC600 today and the battery meter went to 99% - just like it does with Energizer. I will try to watch closely and give some feedback. 16 batteries for $25.

IMG_3281.jpeg

Last edited:
Did it have my name on it 🤨
That's good to know, thanks. I'm sure I'll get mine eventually or get a refund.
Got a tracking notice that it's just now leaving the P.O. there. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: BOC
Moultrie has mentioned that they are releasing a rechargeable lithium battery for their Mobile Edge line, and I am hoping it goes over well enough that the idea expands to other camera brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SpyPoint solars have rechargeable lithiums built in…I am really liking these cameras so far. I have one that is two years old, two that are one year old and two of the newest models (Flex-S). The cost ($100-180 per camera) includes the solar panel, rechargeable lithium battery and 100 (or 250 if you are a member) free pictures per mo, meaning no monthly fee required.

I just ordered 6 packs of the 8 batteries, hopefully they fill my order. If they do I will order more. My cameras take 12 batteries each, I wasn’t going to put them out anymore because of the cost of Lithium batteries, but if I can get them for this amount, I will put some out.