Lithium camera batteries AA. Ouch!!

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Last summer I paid a little over $1 per battery on Amazon. Now, they are almost $4 per battery. Looks like I will be just using cameras that are in the good spots, and only prior to season. No more year around.

I've never felt like I got enough bang for the buck with lithium. I buy AC Delco AA 100 packs off Amazon, they do well for me.

Batteries are killing me. 3 of my 4 cell cams eat a set every two weeks it seems. That is $17/ camera every two weeks. $100/month in batteries
I have to get solar
What kind of cameras are they that are eating batteries like that? Can you reduce picture frequency and still get what you need?

What kind of cameras are they that are eating batteries like that? Can you reduce picture frequency and still get what you need?
Spartan cells. I think it’s a combination of marginal cell service, highest quality pics (not that that matters for battery) and pretty steady usage. 2 are on feeders. One is one 6 minute delay and the other is on 3.

I’m going to start buying more solar cams. Spypoint Solar & Tactacam Solar have been good cameras so far.

I’m going to start buying more solar cams. Spypoint Solar & Tactacam Solar have been good cameras so far.
Man I just can’t deal with the pic quality of spypoint. I have buddies that will forward me pics and I have no idea what the hell im looking at besides a body. Maybe there are other options but the ones I’ve seen my 2 yard old could draw a better picture!

Man I just can’t deal with the pic quality of spypoint. I have buddies that will forward me pics and I have no idea what the hell im looking at besides a body. Maybe there are other options but the ones I’ve seen my 2 yard old could draw a better picture!
Ha ha .. I know . The Spypoint Solar day pics are good. But night pics are blurry . I use them in Iowa (5 hours away) so that I don’t run out of battery .

They are kind of expensive for a non cell cam .

I've never felt like I got enough bang for the buck with lithium. I buy AC Delco AA 100 packs off Amazon, they do well for me.
Just bought a trial pack of 40 for $12. I think the 100 count was $27. Was about to do that til I saw the review saying they only last a week in his trail cams.

Over on the Iowa forum they're discussing how cell cams are spooking bucks. More specifically, cheap cell cams. Anyone here every notice that?

Just bought a trial pack of 40 for $12. I think the 100 count was $27. Was about to do that til I saw the review saying they only last a week in his trail cams.

Over on the Iowa forum they're discussing how cell cams are spooking bucks. More specifically, cheap cell cams. Anyone here every notice that?
I honestly haven’t. Unless I have a whole heard of bucks that have eluded my cameras and sightings since June, my bucks are very regular on my cams. Though it would be super cool if I had a whole herd of super sneaky bucks running around. I think if you leave cameras in an area for long enough they will become accustomed to it, especially with corn out. Deer become dumber than hell with a pile of corn…and no camera is going to run them off.

I’m old fashion. I still run plain cams. No cell, and not even high quality. I’ve still got the very first moultrie I bought ten years ago. That’s the one Marv crushed with a basswood tree giving a felling demo. He fixed it and it’s been the most durable cam I’ve had.

I’ve also got the cheap moultries that they sell right now, and those are really efficient in batteries it seems. I just keep them out around the yard to scratch my cam itch, and keep an eye on things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m certain Spartans spook them. I posted about how bucks abandoned our scrape trees in the Reconyx cellular thread 2 years ago. Our Spartans are now yard cams that we hope spook thieves like they did bucks, lol!!!

I’m not seeing the spooking issue at all . In Iowa, for example I bet I have 50-100 pics of 3 bucks that are 160-170+ inches over the years and old and wise—tough to kill!!

They came by the same camera multiple times and even looked at it on occasion Maybe it’s location specific?

I have seen cameras spook bucks. I get 2 pictures, 1 of them looking at the cam, and the second of them running away. Never to see it again on camera

Man, the price of those lithium AA batteries is crazy.
I used them for years because I liked how long they lasted, especially through the cold winter.
Back to alkalines for me !

I get almost a whole year out of lithium batteries in my Spartan cell cams.
Me too on my Btrownings. Still....they are getting expensive and a lot of cameras don't function properly with cheaper batteries. If you have ever called Brownig or Moutrie about a camera issue, the first thing they ask you is what kind of batteries are you using. If you aren't using lithiums they will tell you to switch to them.

I’m certain Spartans spook them. I posted about how bucks abandoned our scrape trees in the Reconyx cellular thread 2 years ago. Our Spartans are now yard cams that we hope spook thieves like they did bucks, lol!!!

The "White Flash" from some cameras or noisy cameras will spook some deer. I have had really good luck the the "Dark Ops" Browning cameras that have virtually zero flash.

Man, the price of those lithium AA batteries is crazy.
I used them for years because I liked how long they lasted, especially through the cold winter.
Back to alkalines for me !

I bought some of the cheaper AA batteries last year because I couldn't find the Energizer Lithiums that I usually use. I store them in my man cave in the barn in a good battery storage caddy. Yesterday I got 6 of them out for a new camera and tested them. They were already down to 1.46 volts, which in most cases won't help the camera function property and I guarantee that I will be replacing them within a week. Battery strength showed 85% when I inserted them in the camera.

The "White Flash" from some cameras or noisy cameras will spook some deer. I have had really good luck the the "Dark Ops" Browning cameras that have virtually zero flash.
I’m sure that cams do spook some deer, but I don’t think they change their core area because of it . If you have 20 acres and rely on occasional use by deer, I could see it being an issue.

I have never experienced a big buck leaving … but I guess it’s not an easy to document.

Browning cams are great !