Lets talk rye grass

Nova

5 year old buck +
I have several trail used mostly by atv that are on a long slope. They wash out every year with hard rains. Would planting rye grass on these help the erosion? It's not very good soil and doesn't get much sun light. That's why I was thinking rye grass. If so, how long will rye grass last without replanting? I don't know a lot about rye grass other than it is tough to kill and get rid of in a plot.

I am interested in replies on this too. I did take a flier this year though and broadcast 50#s of perennial rye grass on one of my trails hoping for the same results you are. I need the weather to warm in the UP for it to "hopefully" sprout. The trail I took this flier on is very sandy. I have more trails but I'm holding off to see these results first.

Keep us posted how that works out. I just may pick some up and give it a try when I go to the farm in June.

Plant cereal rye

half the cost and better for soil ( see LC threads on topic)

bill

I was thinking about reed canary.

Plant cereal rye

half the cost and better for soil ( see LC threads on topic)

bill

Cereal rye won't work. I want a permanent soil covering there and I have no interest in improving the soil. This is a trail/road for atv's. Plus cereal rye gets about 5' tall which is counter productive for a trail. All I need is something that will take the atv traffic and keep the soil from eroding.

Why not just plant a shady lawn mix then?

I don't know which varieties would be best for the trails in sandy soil, but you definitely want a " turf-type " grass that forms sod. I would suggest you contact your local county extension office for guidance on what varieties of grass would work for your particular soil and climate.

Cereal rye won't work. I want a permanent soil covering there and I have no interest in improving the soil. This is a trail/road for atv's. Plus cereal rye gets about 5' tall which is counter productive for a trail. All I need is something that will take the atv traffic and keep the soil from eroding.

That is exactly what I am after too.

Why not just plant a shady lawn mix then?

I went with perennial rye because it is known to handle heavy traffic and seems like it would be better for an ATV trail. As noted, I have already planted it on one trail, so time will tell. I am all ears to more options though as I have more trails to do.

I have tried shade type grass seed, but with the sandy soil and amount of shade it doesn't take very well and the atv traffic kills it. There isn't a ton of traffic, but I guess too much for regular grass seed.

Last edited:
Cow and Hairy Vetch will grow about any where and handle being run over rather well, BUT its an invasive plant, even where the atv's will make a trail, like two tire paths, it will still hold soil in place, as roots systems seems to still strive even if top doesn't hold green growing's, and they strive in DRY and sandy soil.

many HI way and like right of ways use it after construction as it grows fast and its self seeding(will expand on its own)

However, if you have crops or plots near by, it can invade them from seeds being carried by the wind or from bird/critter droppings

but the stuff does grow and hold soil in places other things won't do well, it also makes good nesting habitat for birds and many critters will eat it , had about a 6 acre field of this stuff, and MAN it held insects like grass hoppers like mad, turkeys were always in it, and so were deer , all the more so with young one's

but it was a constant battle keeping it out of food plots, as the stuff spreads FAST

Sounds like the perfect thing, except one part the invasive! I got enough trouble with invasives in my food plots. The last thing I want to do is introduce another. I appreciate the info, but I'll take a pass on the vetch.

I hear you, and to be honest seeds ain't that cheap either to buy, but like I said, a little goes a LONG ways as it re seeds and spreads FAST
but if you have a steep hill side or, wanted cover in a sandy site, its awesome stuff IF LEGAL to plant, and its good for wildlife too boot, its only real flaw is how fast it spreads, grows TOO well actually
there are chemicals that control it, that do help if wanted!

When I first started food plotting, I bought some seed from a seed distributor, and I planted it on an old logging trail about 5 years ago. The main ingredient was high sugar rye grass. It has held up wonderfully on the logging road, and I do use it often with an ATV. I also planted some in one of my food plots, and I am having a hell of a time killing the stuff. In hindsite, I would plant it again on the logging roads, but not near my food plots. I havent witnessed it spreading at all either. I have even seen the deer feeding on it, so it seems like a win win.

The mixture was called Throw and grow Forage Mixture
It had 84% Maximus Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass
The rest was some mixture of clovers, and rape.

When I first started food plotting, I bought some seed from a seed distributor, and I planted it on an old logging trail about 5 years ago. The main ingredient was high sugar rye grass. It has held up wonderfully on the logging road, and I do use it often with an ATV. I also planted some in one of my food plots, and I am having a hell of a time killing the stuff. In hindsite, I would plant it again on the logging roads, but not near my food plots. I havent witnessed it spreading at all either. I have even seen the deer feeding on it, so it seems like a win win.

Thanks for the info!!

I'm not a big fan of ryegrass for the reasons stated here. However, if I was choosing between fescue and ryegrass for atv trails specifically, I'd go with the ryegrass. Fescue has practically zero wildlife value. Ryegrass has some.

Thanks,

Jack

Reed Canary Grass likes areas that are a touch wetter and is highly invasive. I hate the stuff and cant get rid of it in our wild flower and prairie grass mix. (wasn't in the mix just came up from what was growing prior)

Did you mention what your deer numbers are? If you have high DPSM, then I's definately stay away from anything that's considered "food". I wouldn't want the deer traffic and grazing on those roads. I've had some food plot areas that would get eaten down to mud every winter and erosion started. Deer food isn't always a good thing to have when we're trying to protect soil.
As for the high sugar perennial ryegrass... I planted it in some plots a few years ago as an experiment. The 1st 2 years, it didn't get much deer use, but as of last winter, they ate it to the ground over the winter. But it did seem to retain a sod type structure so it remained pretty durable and protected the soil. As a comparison, the cereal rye in an adjacent plot was also eaten to the ground but it does not hold a sod type structure. That field turned to mud while the ryegrass field held a nice covering.

Did you mention what your deer numbers are? If you have high DPSM, then I's definately stay away from anything that's considered "food". I wouldn't want the deer traffic and grazing on those roads. I've had some food plot areas that would get eaten down to mud every winter and erosion started. Deer food isn't always a good thing to have when we're trying to protect soil.
As for the high sugar perennial ryegrass... I planted it in some plots a few years ago as an experiment. The 1st 2 years, it didn't get much deer use, but as of last winter, they ate it to the ground over the winter. But it did seem to retain a sod type structure so it remained pretty durable and protected the soil. As a comparison, the cereal rye in an adjacent plot was also eaten to the ground but it does not hold a sod type structure. That field turned to mud while the ryegrass field held a nice covering.

Good info, thanks Tap!

Reactions: Tap