Steep hill native grass

This is a mix similar to what we have been talking about here. This mix has a high percentage of Forbs and not just grasses. It is burned on a two-year interval.

BBCA5365-F3D3-4B4A-8E19-9286824F73E9.jpeg

the pretty prairie short grass doesn't appear to have any forbs.

My man. The mix is full of forbs. Partridge pea is probably the dominant forb in our region.

View attachment 48956
once established you can add more forbs if you want, tic trefoil, beggars lice are two of my favorite. I also love rattlesnake master.

Forb is the nice word for weed. Any non grass is a forb.

E392680D-740D-4F6B-B461-C992383F396C.png

Most forbs will come naturally. When you mow, disc, and burn will either favor more forbs or grass over time.

got any summer pics?
The pic above has some lespedeza in it also. It is a great forb, but can become invasive and take over. If going to use disturbance and herbicides it’s great. If not I would avoid.

If you'd like another seed source to compare - look into Ernst Seed Company. They have seed for many areas of the U.S. They have seed combinations for just about any soil & climate, slopes, upland, wet areas, dry mesic sites, etc. Our camp bought a great mix of upland pollinator native flowers, forbs, etc. They'll even custom mix what you want. (NOTE: all such seed is harvested by hand. No equipment can harvest such tiny, delicate seeds as exist in some species.)

Just another seed source for comparison.

I am building a new home in south Alabama. We had to do a lot of dozer work to level a spot for the house. That left me with some very steep slopes behind my house that I do not wish to mow or wash out. IS there a native grass that I can plant that will grow on a steep slope to stop the soil erosion that doesn't have to be mowed or really cared for?
Hey cooter.

Here is a video someone posted on switchgrass. Note that switchgrass is BY FAR the easiest native grass to establish. I think the video covers a lot of what I’m saying. Simazine is great for establishing most native grasses except Indian grass. It is not good for establishing forbs. Imazapic is much better for that, but not good for switchgrass. It is good for most other native grasses though.

Hey cooter.

Here is a video someone posted on switchgrass. Note that switchgrass is BY FAR the easiest native grass to establish. I think the video covers a lot of what I’m saying. Simazine is great for establishing most native grasses except Indian grass. It is not good for establishing forbs. Imazapic is much better for that, but not good for switchgrass. It is good for most other native grasses though.

We never have snow down here and rarely is it colder than 32 deg.

I’m confused. I live in alabama too.

I’m letting you know you can’t just throw native grass seed with no herbicide and expect results.

I’m confused. I live in alabama too.

I’m letting you know you can’t just throw native grass seed with no herbicide and expect results.
I didnt think you could frost seed in the deep south.

I didnt think you could frost seed in the deep south.
You can, it is more about the wetness than cold for the stratification though. I often drill it early so it has longer in the ground to “soften up.”

You can, it is more about the wetness than cold for the stratification though. I often drill it early so it has longer in the ground to “soften up.”
Wish i had a drill

What part of alabama do you live in?

What drill do you use?

What drill do you use?
My farm is in the black belt, but is really more foot of the Appalachian mountains. No black dirt for me! Lots of hills, sand, and clayish loam.

Not trying to be a no it all about native grass. Just trying to save you some heartache like I had. I threw a bunch out several years ago with no prep or anything. It was a total bust. I find now if I spray gly and imazapic (or simazine/atrazine if just doing switch) at the time of planting I get much much better results. And on a hill using a nurse crop like browntop Millet or oats at lower rate really helps with erosion.

I took this pic at my farm yesterday thinking of this convo. Another option is plant and put hay on top or a hay grass erosion roll. You can see how much better the germination has been under the roll of hay.

0F60FB13-BF90-4C00-8EB2-3DAC2BA828C2.jpeg

My farm is in the black belt, but is really more foot of the Appalachian mountains. No black dirt for me! Lots of hills, sand, and clayish loam.

Not trying to be a no it all about native grass. Just trying to save you some heartache like I had. I threw a bunch out several years ago with no prep or anything. It was a total bust. I find now if I spray gly and imazapic (or simazine/atrazine if just doing switch) at the time of planting I get much much better results. And on a hill using a nurse crop like browntop Millet or oats at lower rate really helps with erosion.

I took this pic at my farm yesterday thinking of this convo. Another option is plant and put hay on top or a hay grass erosion roll. You can see how much better the germination has been under the roll of hay.

View attachment 49345
Looks nice. Yeah ive heard thats a good drill.