Lets brain storm ways to make money off our acerage...

Making cider is a goal of mine, but I have no misconceptions about volume high enough to sustain any income. In time, I might expand my orchard though. Need to see how the trees I've got work out.

The Mrs. is also interested in honey bees. They'd be complementary to the apples and any other fruit (like plum or apricot) we could grow, so I'm trying to be supportive of that venture. The hive boxes are usually made of aspen as well, so I could start milling aspen to turn into apiary supplies as another market for our products.

Would you rent a commercial kitchen for this? In my area there are places where multiple business will share time in the same kitchen that is rented out.

Like grapes mentioned, hops is another high-demand crop. It just takes some work to get your system built.

I'd probably set up in an outbuilding on my property if it got too big to do in our home. The steam juicer concept looks really good to me, and of course if you let it get a little funky you get hard cider. ;)

Jim's Funky Cider sounds like a winner to me. I'd try some.

Jim's Funky Cider sounds like a winner to me. I'd try some.

Only if it's FUNKY!!!!

I've got 13 jars of that on my kitchen counter right now - made with Everclear 191 (imported from WI due to MN's IDIOTIC liquor laws) and store bought cider. This stuff is caramel apple flavor and should be about 30 proof. :)

MN grapes apparently aren't great for wine (no idea, just what I read) but there a number of folks growing them here for high end/top shelf/trendy vinegars

I've also heard that hops are bringing some good money and that there's a shortage of certain varieties. You need the "right" soil from the reading I've done, but it doesn't appear that difficult to grow them.

I've thought about a doing a binery...hops grow on bines and require a trellis system in a hop yard. With the whole local-vore movement going on craft brewers are looking for locally sourced raw materials from which to ply their craft. I have been to several breweries in the past few years with "home grown" or locally grown hops and barley for malt. I think Chickenlittle's avatar is a hop cone and he has been growing his own hops as well.

I've made some elderberry tincture after harvesting berries from plants I got from MDC. The market is there for antioxidants but I'm not sure of the legalities because the finished product contains alcohol.

Like Shawn said above in post # 85 - what can you save $$$ on from your land. I've been cutting my own firewood to heat my home with since '86. Using the power company's calculations for winter heating costs in this area, I've saved right around $ 42,000 since we've lived here. Cut, dried & stored at my camp until each fall when I go up to bow & rifle hunt, I bring a load home w/ each trip. I'm already there to hunt so no " special trip " to retrieve wood. It adds up. $$$ saved paid for some college for sons.

AND - I enjoy cutting wood !!! I'm outdoors in the woods in fresh air.

Right from the start, I was thinking moonshine, but no one has mentioned it.

do we need to send some central Mn. experts down there to help you southerners out?

Right from the start, I was thinking moonshine, but no one has mentioned it.

do we need to send some central Mn. experts down there to help you southerners out?

I have made a little shine in my day with a still constructed from an old beer keg. It is fun. Not a huge drinker but I enjoy the art!

"The thread is on making money on your property, not necessarily making a living" - You could look at this as what you can do to save money opposed to selling stuff and you have room to supply much of what you eat. If you able to can your own fruits and veggies that is something wonderful, raising chickens for eggs and meant is another, having a small hive for honey is nice and you should have room or some cattle, goats, pigs...Plant some trees for your own Christmas trees. Not all of it will save you big $$$ but you at least know where the goods come from.
Yessir I am fortunate to have a great career and side business that pays the bills. This is more of a pursuit for a hobby that if thought out well can hopefully supplement our income or simply save us money. I defiantly intend to have an outdoor wood burner in my next house. I would be crazy not to with as much easily accessible firewood I have. I beleive a man was built to break a swet an get a little dirt under his finger nails. I look forward to being outside every chance I get!

Getting into shrooms is something I'd like to pursue someday. I even have ideas of how to modify their environment to artificially induce blooms. The delay in trying it has more to do with fear of having my crops wiped out by critters than anything else. I think a smaller greenhouse would be needed to ensure the efforts were rewarded with something to show in the end.

One thing I'm going to do once I move onto my property is set up a small business for my boy to run later on through his youth. I will be raising pheasants to sell strictly for dog training and release for hunting. There's not a ton of profit in it but there always seems to be demand with the low pheasant numbers and it would teach my boy some responsibility.

Getting into shrooms is something I'd like to pursue someday. I even have ideas of how to modify their environment to artificially induce blooms. The delay in trying it has more to do with fear of having my crops wiped out by critters than anything else. I think a smaller greenhouse would be needed to ensure the efforts were rewarded with something to show in the end.

Green house is the way to go with those for sure from the past research I've done.

One thing I'm going to do once I move onto my property is set up a small business for my boy to run later on through his youth. I will be raising pheasants to sell strictly for dog training and release for hunting. There's not a ton of profit in it but there always seems to be demand with the low pheasant numbers and it would teach my boy some responsibility.

I raised about 500 with my dad for a few years in my youth and it was something I really enjoyed and I'm sure he will too. With lower pheasant #'s there has been a rise in hunting clubs that charge a fee that seem to be at a price point where profit would exist.

2 things we did for the kids when they were little was plant sweetcorn and let them pick and sell at the road intersection. People will stop for little kids and pay what ever, and tip them almost every time. The kids learn how to deal with people, what sales are all about and make change.

The other thing was let the kids raise a few calves and keep the money. Teaches them a work ethic and responsibility. Key when growing up in my book!

THis year I'm taking some of my hay field and planting it to Christmas trees, nothing on a large scale but some to have for family and friends in the future.

Got another idea for you Jordan - You could start one of those wilderness survival schools. People pay you to come out and eat bugs and freeze their rear ends off for a week in the woods. I see several listed on the internet, and it's a big business these days. You could have someone to sneak you some burgers and fries in each night under the cover of darkness, and it wouldn't be too bad - especially when you cashed the checks...:D

I have seen zipline courses, paint-ball courses (looks like a rainbow crapped on your place, but most washes away with a good rain), 3D archery course, sporting clays course, horse camps and all sorts of things.