Lets brain storm ways to make money off our acerage...

Very popular this year at Christmas.....was an "arrangement" of a few sticks of birch and a few small pine and fir boughs in a pot. Women pay big bucks for these at the local gift stores and put them by the front door at the Holidays. My wife and her friends got about 6 "pots worth" from my land......and didnt make a dent. Marketing and your connections are key to some of these specialty things.

Earlier this year I also posted a pic of a wreath making machine that was for sale on CL.

I think I recall in my area x-mass trees requiring roughly 7 years from planting to harvest. My folks where close with a guy who started a x-mass tree farm decades ago on ground that was useless expect for pasture. They do the wagon rides out so you can cut your own and all that stuff. It isn't plant and walk away either. They reduce competition and apply chemicals and all hat stuff as well. They use a dozer to clear stumps before replanting as well. I would hate to see what they pay in liability insurance. With the steep grades, citiots using hand saws, tractors and wagons moving around and the like. Last I recall trees where rougly $30 each if you went and got it yourself. I realize the initial cost of the trees is pretty cheap, but your waiting 7 years before you see any return on your investment amd tying up quite a bit of ground in the process. Trees are spaced for optimal growth and access, so it isn't really even decent deer cover. Just what I have seen from the x-mass tree business in my area.

When I get my mass order of trees I was thinking about keeping some spruce (~20) and planting them in containers and seeing how they grow for a year (maybe 2) and then put them on craigslist in the town where I live to see if I can sell them. I will do some more research to verify that I don't need a nursery license, but quick check looked like it should be exempt because it would be a small amount. It would only be a few $100 a year but it would be something that I enjoy doing already.

I have though about putting in Christmas trees up north. I have to talk to my younger brother to see if he would interested to put in some labor, and it would be a bit more long term.

I bought a bunch of 5 foot spruce in 1 gallon pots 2 falls ago and survival is 100%. Couple are on the bubble as the bucks love to rub them in the right spots. No worries of competition with weeds when they get that tall.

Very popular this year at Christmas.....was an "arrangement" of a few sticks of birch and a few small pine and fir boughs in a pot. Women pay big bucks for these at the local gift stores and put them by the front door at the Holidays. My wife and her friends got about 6 "pots worth" from my land......and didnt make a dent. Marketing and your connections are key to some of these specialty things.

Earlier this year I also posted a pic of a wreath making machine that was for sale on CL.

I forgot, we are going to try that in 2015! My wife sells handmade soy candles at occasional stores, 2014 was her first year and it went well so we know a few people that sell that sort of stuff. They also like the ROD sticks mixed in. There are quite a few occasional stores (open one weekend or month or something similar) in the west metro and up towards St. Cloud. The soccer moms from the suburbs will drive quite a way for that stuff.

I need to start writing these things down so I make sure I get it all done this year :eek:.

I bought a bunch of 5 foot spruce in 1 gallon pots 2 falls ago and survival is 100%. Couple are on the bubble as the bucks love to rub them in the right spots. No worries of competition with weeds when they get that tall.

Yeah, I was thinking if I can't sell them I would plant them on my place in some spots that are hard to start small trees. It looks like I wouldn't need a license for <$2,000 a year in sales. If I got that high it may be too much work!

Another scheme I have is turnng my lower south field (that floods nearly every spring) into a trailerpark! Water-front property prices and new clients annually! I tell my wife I will turn the whole place into a trailerpark and then take the money and RUN! FYI I have alot more open space (100 acres) of my 150 acre total.

Here are two ideas that I am working on Jordan. My wife and I were just gifted about 21 acres from my MIL. Now that the land is ours I'd like to explore the possibility of operating some kind of a small farm for tax purposes. Nothing crazy. I'm a teacher and have every summer off. Just want to do something on the side. I already tap about 20 maple trees and produce syrup in the spring...just for the family. But with my new acreage I could increase production substantially. Not sure if MO is sap country? You need many weeks with temps. in the 20's at night and over 40 during the day to have sap flow nicely.

My 2 new ideas....

1) Cut your own Christmas tree farm. I'd be selling the "experience" more than the trees themselves. Geared towards families with kids who want the experience of heading out into the woods to cut their own tree. Weekend hours only. Saws, trail maps, and snowshoes provided. Hot cider, maple syrup, and wreathes available in the barn for customers. Christmas tree farms give a lot of bang for the buck...low overhead, minimal labor, minimal equipment.

2) Selling small timber frame packages to customers who want to "to do it themselves." I'm thinking about the home owner who, again, wants the experience of putting up a timber frame but who may not possess the time and/or skills to do it themselves. I would fell the trees on my land...spruce mostly, and then cut the trees into timbers with my portable mill. I would then sell a package of timbers to a customer with various options. Maybe they want just the raw timbers so that they can cut their own joinery. Perhaps they want the timbers with pre-cut joinery. Or perhaps they want a 50/50 option...do it themselves on the easy joints, and the more diffiucult joints would be done by me.

Just a few ideas.

2) Selling small timber frame packages to customers who want to "to do it themselves." I'm thinking about the home owner who, again, wants the experience of putting up a timber frame but who may not possess the time and/or skills to do it themselves. I would fell the trees on my land...spruce mostly, and then cut the trees into timbers with my portable mill. I would then sell a package of timbers to a customer with various options. Maybe they want just the raw timbers so that they can cut their own joinery. Perhaps they want the timbers with pre-cut joinery. Or perhaps they want a 50/50 option...do it themselves on the easy joints, and the more diffiucult joints would be done by me.

Just a few ideas.

Timber frames need to go up wet. As the wood dries, it shrinks and pulls all the joints tight. If they age out of assembly, they can twist and not fit together at all. If you pre-fab these frames wet, they might not work when Johnny do-it-yourselfer gets around to raising it. If you kiln dry the wood, it will never tighten up like it should, but bolted connections are popular pseudo-timber frame options and that could be a plus for your intended end user.

Timber frames need to go up wet. As the wood dries, it shrinks and pulls all the joints tight. If they age out of assembly, they can twist and not fit together at all. If you pre-fab these frames wet, they might not work when Johnny do-it-yourselfer gets around to raising it. If you kiln dry the wood, it will never tighten up like it should, but bolted connections are popular pseudo-timber frame options and that could be a plus for your intended end user.

Thanks Jim. Good points. I teach a timber framing class at my high schhol and we experience just this problem. I buy the wood green. But it's a 5 month class, and by the time we are ready to raise the frame some of the tolerances in the joints aren't quite what they were when they were first cut. I once had the problem of using dry wood, and the customer we sold the frame to let it sit outside all summer exposed the the rain. Well, the beams all swelled up and none of the joints would fit together.

I'm thinking small-scale..8x10 greenhouses or 12x16 sheds. That should be on a scale small enough for even a beginner to finish the joints and get it raised before substantial drying occurs. Also, in a small shed it won't be the end of the world if the joints are not perfect.

Grapes for wine are paying big bucks here in Vt. right now.

I got a buddy that had a vineyard down by Currie Mn and I can assure you that he made some excellent wine:) He won 2nd place in a cold climate competition that covers Canada and several states. A lot of work growing grapes but very good spending money once established.

Grapes for wine are paying big bucks here in Vt. right now.

Cold weather grapes make a nice sweet wine and there are several vineyards now in WI. However, the capital required to get started keeps most folks away from it and you really need at least 40 acres to make a living from those I have talked to who run a successful operation. I think the owners who I talked to a few years ago have a couple million into it.

Solar farm lease your property for a solar farm. My neighbor is leasing his property 25 year lease.

I started my organic business a couple years ago on my farm and will start selling to consumers mid-summer this year. It's very labor intensive and you basically get what you put into in. If you want full-time income, it will be a full time job or if you have little time, you can still make some extra cash. I'm looking for something to do post rat-race so I'm all in an will continue to grow over the next 5-7 years. To get where I am now took a few years worth of research and a couple years growing my seed stock.

Best advice I can give is to talk to someone already in the business, usually they will be happy to help you out. Most people working the land don't have all the answers and its an ongoing learning experience so don't feel like you have to know every little detail to get started.

You guys have some awesome ideas!!! I'm enjoying the heck out of this! Hope the conversation keeps flowing!

Cold weather grapes make a nice sweet wine and there are several vineyards now in WI. However, the capital required to get started keeps most folks away from it and you really need at least 40 acres to make a living from those I have talked to who run a successful operation. I think the owners who I talked to a few years ago have a couple million into it.
The thread is on making money on your property, not necessarily making a living. Big operations are wanting to buy grapes from growers large and small. We had some folks at our fruit growers meeting a couple years ago trying to entice us to grow and sell to bigger vineyards. There is a big boom around here right now and they want grapes wherever they can get them. Other states are seeing a similar need. So there is a market for small operations. Same goes for selling apples for cider makers, they can't get enough apples right now.

You guys have some awesome ideas!!! I'm enjoying the heck out of this! Hope the conversation keeps flowing!
I love your enthusiasm Jordan! I'm sure you'll do well with what ever you dream up!

The thread is on making money on your property, not necessarily making a living. Big operations are wanting to buy grapes from growers large and small. We had some folks at our fruit growers meeting a couple years ago trying to entice us to grow and sell to bigger vineyards. There is a big boom around here right now and they want grapes wherever they can get them. Other states are seeing a similar need. So there is a market for small operations. Same goes for selling apples for cider makers, they can't get enough apples right now.

You're right, the winemaker I talked to said they do buy from some smaller growers. I forgot to mention that as a possibility.

Last edited:
Making cider is a goal of mine, but I have no misconceptions about volume high enough to sustain any income. In time, I might expand my orchard though. Need to see how the trees I've got work out.

The Mrs. is also interested in honey bees. They'd be complementary to the apples and any other fruit (like plum or apricot) we could grow, so I'm trying to be supportive of that venture. The hive boxes are usually made of aspen as well, so I could start milling aspen to turn into apiary supplies as another market for our products.

"The thread is on making money on your property, not necessarily making a living" - You could look at this as what you can do to save money opposed to selling stuff and you have room to supply much of what you eat. If you able to can your own fruits and veggies that is something wonderful, raising chickens for eggs and meant is another, having a small hive for honey is nice and you should have room or some cattle, goats, pigs...Plant some trees for your own Christmas trees. Not all of it will save you big $$$ but you at least know where the goods come from.