Lets brain storm ways to make money off our acerage...

2 things we did for the kids when they were little was plant sweetcorn and let them pick and sell at the road intersection. People will stop for little kids and pay what ever, and tip them almost every time. The kids learn how to deal with people, what sales are all about and make change.

The other thing was let the kids raise a few calves and keep the money. Teaches them a work ethic and responsibility. Key when growing up in my book!
That's great stuff Mo an exactly the kind of thing I want to do with my boys.

Got another idea for you Jordan - You could start one of those wilderness survival schools. People pay you to come out and eat bugs and freeze their rear ends off for a week in the woods. I see several listed on the internet, and it's a big business these days. You could have someone to sneak you some burgers and fries in each night under the cover of darkness, and it wouldn't be too bad - especially when you cashed the checks...:D
Haha I got a goofy buddy that went to one of these schools. Amazing the crap people will pay for these days ain't it! I find survival tactics interesting however I embrass technology;)

That's great stuff Mo an exactly the kind of thing I want to do with my boys.

It will pay off big time for those kids later in life. I hope you do get them a sweet corn patch!

2 things we did for the kids when they were little was plant sweetcorn and let them pick and sell at the road intersection. People will stop for little kids and pay what ever, and tip them almost every time. The kids learn how to deal with people, what sales are all about and make change.

The other thing was let the kids raise a few calves and keep the money. Teaches them a work ethic and responsibility. Key when growing up in my book!

Very true! I know a dairy farmer that lets his kids sell sweet corn and straw. Random people stop by and try to get him to lower the price and he says talk to the kids. It has been his 10 year old daughter selling stuff lately and the only people paying regular price are buying a lot.

Just a word on having other people come onto your property for survival camps, 3-D shoots ( my camp did that ), trap shoots ( did that too ), etc. You better have some real good insurance, and a written set of instructions and disclaimers done by an attorney. You can end up losing your land, camp, and get sued on a personal level. My camp stopped doing shoots and such because the reward wasn't worth the risk. Ins. for shooting events is prohibitive.

Don't want to rain on parades - but I'd be way less than honest if I didn't tell you guys. It IS do-able, but lots to plan for legal-wise.

Ins. for shooting events is prohibitive.

Don't want to rain on parades - but I'd be way less than honest if I didn't tell you guys. It IS do-able, but lots to plan for legal-wise.

This is why I won't ever try to run a for-profit facility with my 800yd rifle range. I'll have a tip jar to help cover the upkeep, but I'm not charging admission for anything. You're at your own risk. ;)

When I was a kid I had a good buddy that didn't have the best upbringing. His alcoholic chain smoking dad died when we were very young therefore his mom had to work 2 an 3 jobs to keep the bills paid. Eric always had a good heart an was smart as hell but put most of his energy into getting into shit. Well it came crashing down hard when we were about 14 an he stole a bunch of high end merchandise at a fall festival in our home town. The juvenile system shipped Eric off to something called a "boys home". He described this to me as a working farm more or less with a boot camp style regiment. They worked out they had farm chores and projects. They were taught how to be men is the only way I can sum it up. Eric came back leaner and with a changed attitude. Eric an I still got into some trouble in our tail chasing years but all in all I think Eric would have gone down a much worse path if not for this "boys home". He is the only guy I have bailed out of jail twice in the same month haha! I always thought it would be neat to do something like this and try and help troubled teens learn how to be men. Also think it would be cool to teach inner city teens about the outdoors. Most kids that grow up in these big cities dont have a chance IMHO! I think an organic fruit an nut farm would be a very good base to something like this. Not even sure if you can do this type of thing anymore. Prolly be called child abuse. Either way this has always been in the back of my mind. Maybe some day I will make my mind up to do it.

If I had an 800 yard firing range I'd be making quadruple sure I'm covered for anything my agent could even imagine...even if the range was for my personal use only.

My umbrella covers it. ;)

When I was a kid I had a good buddy that didn't have the best upbringing. His alcoholic chain smoking dad died when we were very young therefore his mom had to work 2 an 3 jobs to keep the bills paid. Eric always had a good heart an was smart as hell but put most of his energy into getting into shit. Well it came crashing down hard when we were about 14 an he stole a bunch of high end merchandise at a fall festival in our home town. The juvenile system shipped Eric off to something called a "boys home". He described this to me as a working farm more or less with a boot camp style regiment. They worked out they had farm chores and projects. They were taught how to be men is the only way I can sum it up. Eric came back leaner and with a changed attitude. Eric an I still got into some trouble in our tail chasing years but all in all I think Eric would have gone down a much worse path if not for this "boys home". He is the only guy I have bailed out of jail twice in the same month haha! I always thought it would be neat to do something like this and try and help troubled teens learn how to be men. Also think it would be cool to teach inner city teens about the outdoors. Most kids that grow up in these big cities dont have a chance IMHO! I think an organic fruit an nut farm would be a very good base to something like this. Not even sure if you can do this type of thing anymore. Prolly be called child abuse. Either way this has always been in the back of my mind. Maybe some day I will make my mind up to do it.

Funny, I got the same deal when I was 14 years old. But my old man was still alive and was done putting up with my bullshit and trouble I was causing. He sent me out to work on a friend of his ranch in Ekalaka Montana for a summer. It was 20 miles from town and I had no way to get out of there. This guy was the roughest toughest cowboy you ever saw. He would not let me call home or any of my buddy's, just made me work from dawn til dark for 3 months. It was pure hell for that summer as you would not dare say one word for fear of getting your ass kicked. When my old man came to pick me up, this old cowboy was going to pay me for the 3 months of work, but my old man kept the money to teach me a lesson as not to screw up anymore. That summer taught me how to work and work hard but further pissed me off and drove a huge wedge between me and the old man. But I did learn how to work and keep my mouth shut!

...and keep my mouth shut!
Really? When did you relapse? ;)...just funning MoBuck!:D I had something vaguely similar happen in my youth, but not for the same reasons. I got sent to an aunt and uncles place for the last half of the summer because they were in a very severe car accident and my uncle could barely take care of himself and my aunt was mostly bed ridden, so they needed help with everything. It wasn't as a punishment, but it sure felt like it was when I was in a town with no friends and my buddies back home were hanging out at the lake chasing tail. My aunt and uncle took me down to the sports shop at the end of the summer and said pick anything off the shelf that you want, so at least I got a shiny new 3" Mag Remington Model 1100 out of the deal. Not too bad for a 12 year old kid for a month and a half of work.

Really? When did you relapse? ;)...just funning MoBuck!:D I had something vaguely similar happen in my youth, but not for the same reasons. I got sent to an aunt and uncles place for the last half of the summer because they were in a very severe car accident and my uncle could barely take care of himself and my aunt was mostly bed ridden, so they needed help with everything. It wasn't as a punishment, but it sure felt like it was when I was in a town with no friends and my buddies back home were hanging out at the lake chasing tail. My aunt and uncle took me down to the sports shop at the end of the summer and said pick anything off the shelf that you want, so at least I got a shiny new 3" Mag Remington Model 1100 out of the deal. Not too bad for a 12 year old kid for a month and a half of work.

I am no stu, but I hold my own!

Funny, I got the same deal when I was 14 years old. But my old man was still alive and was done putting up with my bullshit and trouble I was causing. He sent me out to work on a friend of his ranch in Ekalaka Montana for a summer. It was 20 miles from town and I had no way to get out of there. This guy was the roughest toughest cowboy you ever saw. He would not let me call home or any of my buddy's, just made me work from dawn til dark for 3 months. It was pure hell for that summer as you would not dare say one word for fear of getting your ass kicked. When my old man came to pick me up, this old cowboy was going to pay me for the 3 months of work, but my old man kept the money to teach me a lesson as not to screw up anymore. That summer taught me how to work and work hard but further pissed me off and drove a huge wedge between me and the old man. But I did learn how to work and keep my mouth shut!

Damn John. Bet that was a long summer. What you learned was surly worth much more than the pay you would have received.
That story you told me about buying a scooter in your youth an fixing then selling for a profit reminded me of my friend Eric. He never got new stuff so he got real good at fixing others second hand stuff. That has paid off big for him. He can do pretty much do or fix anything.