Land Tour at Foggy's Place

foggy

5 year old buck +
I've got a "Land Tour" date established for Sunday December 7 th at my hunting land near Pequot Lakes / Jenkins MN. About 8 guys from central MN have said they are attending so far. Couple of well known celebrities like Sandune and ZZ Smith will be here......;) There's room for a few more from this habitat site. (all is weather permitting)

My land is about 18 miles north of Brainerd / Baxter MN. We will look at machinery and hang out till folks arrive, then cruise the trails and talk about swamps and trees and food plots and such. Lunch provided.

If your interested.....shoot me a PM and I will give more particulars.

(OH....my land is located just a few miles from where QDMA claims they have a branch.....but they don't. :D)

Foggy - if it wasn't my sons birthday i would be there in a heartbeat. I would love to see where you have all these deer penned up ;)

Foggy - if it wasn't my sons birthday i would be there in a heartbeat. I would love to see where you have all these deer penned up ;)

I opened the pen.....and shushed a few up toward Sandbur. Somebody wake him up when they run by. ;)

Are we going to need snow shoes or is the atv ride still the plan?

I'm hoping temps moderate some before December 7...it is downright cold outside today. That NW wind just bites through ya

Yep....I hear that! The first cold weather of the season often feels the worst.

One thing tho....pretty good wind protection at my land from all the pines. If it's really cold we may shorten the tour and to to the Jenkins American Legion for lunch (2 miles away) and watch some Viqueens game and taste some of the liquids I'm told they offer there. If reasonably nice.....I plan to do a bonfire at lunch time.

Time to dig out the long-johns. Gonna have to play it by ear.

If I come can I bring a paint ball gun in case the horse riders or that pick up truck comes through?

Are we going to need snow shoes or is the atv ride still the plan?

Not sure JIM. I got a two-wheel trailer.....and attached some neat old lounge chairs (I got for the campfire) to it the other day. If the snow isn't too deep, I can ride about 10 guys on my UTV and trailer combo. It's a pretty slick set-up .....if I do say so. :) I think we can save a little time by riding instead of walking so much. Also got a golf cart if the snow is reasonable.

I got heat in the UTV 1/2 cab.....and if your the first to volunteer as assistant tour guide.....you could ride up by the heater.....or we can put another sissy up there with me....lol. ;)

Gonna have to do some final planning in the days before we gather up.

If I come can I bring a paint ball gun in case the horse riders or that pick up truck comes through?
sure....just for you. By the way......I saw a video of you shooting pheasants with a bow. YOWSER!! Good shooting!

Last edited:
Just checking football schedule for the land tour day....knowing there are a few fans here. Vikes play the Jets at noon on Sun Dec 7 (no biggie)......and the Pack plays Atlanta on Mon nite. Nothing else matters much....grin.

Shoot.... We have a plan to smoke a turkey and have peeps over for the Vikes game that day... Yea I know... OK, lets call it what it is.... A reason to have people over for food and beer. Screw the vikes.

My trailer is now in a snow bank, so my atv is staying in the metro for the winter. I think the trailer ride sounds like a good option.

I will be staying in Baxter that weekend so I might be interested. Hopefully she warms up a bit it was brutal in the stand yesterday but the deer were awfully hungry.

I will be staying in Baxter that weekend so I might be interested. Hopefully she warms up a bit it was brutal in the stand yesterday but the deer were awfully hungry.

PM Sent Riggswp

If folks get a chance to attend foggy's (or another) landtour I'd encourage you to do so. I've done a number of them both here and in WI, and they're all a good time. I've learned something at every one I've attended and being able to put "faces with names/handles" is nice. I've yet to meet any aholes (maybe I'm "it"?)

I'd be happy to have anyone from this site attend. We have room for more, and I agree with Stu that it's helpful to put a name with a face with folks on the site. Everyone I have met has been great folks.

What you'll find at my place is a previous Potlatch Pine Plantation that was selectively logged off prior to them selling to me. One of the big attractions was its proximity to where I had a cabin, and now live.....just ten miles down the road.

Its got some pockets of hardwoods and jackpines and some small woodland swamps. Much of the land is just a few feet above the water table so trees really grow here. Sandy soils. Lots of pine regen....along with natural regen from Burr Oak, Popple, Birch, and more. I've got a swamp situation that would be good to get some inputs from others.

Not being super knowledgeable about habitat when I bought this place......I just plowed forward with info read in several books and info off the web....like so many others. I've made lots of trails and developed openings in order to stay ahead of the regen that has followed. Hopefully I can share what I have learned and gain some insight from others on what to do next.

Last edited:
Hey Tom
I just talked to M Raymond this morning. He was up over the opener. Should I pass this along to him?

Hey Tom
I just talked to M Raymond this morning. He was up over the opener. Should I pass this along to him?
Sure. Have not talked to him in some time. Last I heard.....he married and that slowed him up a bit. Sounds familiar. ;)

2 little girls now too.....

Damn the distance. :(

Damn the distance. :(

Road trip? 2 Hours from Mpls. We got hotels here....but you may want to wait for a warmer visit.

I might have a couch you could crash on too. ;)