land ownership

I am not as attached to land as some are. But we are Buying 120 acres of farm and hunting land right now with my son, and it happens to be right next door. We close in 3 weeks and I could not be happier, and he is ecstatic! Sounds like you are just as happy as him! Congrats!

"Dirt" "They don't make any more"

Congrats! Great story. You're in a great situation where you have some family land that is being passed down.

Most folks seem to have to sell it off like my wife's family. Hope my kids are able to keep my land.

Great story. Congrats! I'm thrilled for you.

I had a good laugh at your misspelling. Not because of your misspelling but because it makes a PEFECT pun for us land stewards who use chainsaws and TSI to meet our management objectives. It would make a great title for a book.
lol....that may have been my first time to use that word in a sentence.

Congrats huntall! Good luck with the new purchase! I hope to be in your position sooner than later. I suppose I could have made a play on my parents old property, but the way it was laid out with the river cutting it in half, the crappy neighbors, and the fact that the original seller lied to my dad and grandfather about the easement to the north half of the property and the fact that they trusted him and didn't bother to check with the ROD office to see if it was a legit easement, all were things that kept me from pulling the trigger. After the county put up berms to keep the high school kids from driving back there and tearing up the county land, it made it a half mile walk just to get to the land and made plotting that area next to impossible. So I guess keeping the "family property" just wasn't in the cards in my case. Which is ok because I didn't really like plotting in that d#mn sand anyway.

Congrats huntall! Good luck with the new purchase! I hope to be in your position sooner than later. I suppose I could have made a play on my parents old property, but the way it was laid out with the river cutting it in half, the crappy neighbors, and the fact that the original seller lied to my dad and grandfather about the easement to the north half of the property and the fact that they trusted him and didn't bother to check with the ROD office to see if it was a legit easement, all were things that kept me from pulling the trigger. After the county put up berms to keep the high school kids from driving back there and tearing up the county land, it made it a half mile walk just to get to the land and made plotting that area next to impossible. So I guess keeping the "family property" just wasn't in the cards in my case. Which is ok because I didn't really like plotting in that d#mn sand anyway.

That is why you NEVER EVER trust someone on a land deal! A good land attorney doing a Title Search is of the highest importance! That $250 an hour can seem expensive if there is nothing wrong, but dam cheap money when shit hits the fan! Sorry your family had those problems!

That is why you NEVER EVER trust someone on a land deal! A good land attorney doing a Title Search is of the highest importance! That $250 an hour can seem expensive if there is nothing wrong, but dam cheap money when shit hits the fan! Sorry your family had those problems!
I totally hear you MoBuck, rest assured I will not make that mistake. I have already eliminated parcels from my search just due to the fact that they have easements across other peoples properties. Even though they are legit easements, I want nothing to do with any of it. I was only 9 when they bought the place, and dad's big thing when he was going to court over the lack of access was, "Those were different times and we thought you could trust people." I assured him that sketchy land deals have been taking place since land first started to be looked at as a commodity that could be bought and sold.

Yep, I did the same thing while searching here. Any kind of easement, legit or not = not gonna happen
Don't even look in Missouri for land. There are easements everywhere, some recorded some not. And there are Verbal land leases, that can be upheld in court. Even though you may not hear of them till after your land purchase. I know!

Congrats on the purchase. I have to get moving on a plan to buy the 170 acres that surrounds us. It is an out of state owner that is in his 70's and only stops by once every 15 years. They don't do land loans in NY, not sure if that is the norm everywhere. How would one buy land in a hurry, without having 200k in the bank? My problem is going to be it is surrounded by a huge lumber company that will buy it without hesitation. It has not been logged in 20 years and has pristine cherry and maple, and lots of it.

Home equity loan maybe? ........Contract For Deed?........Rich uncle?........Marry a rich woman in her 90's?

Home equity loan maybe? ........Contract For Deed?........Rich uncle?........Marry a rich woman in her 90's?
Already married but my MIL has some money, maybe I will have to help her down some stairs this winter.

One of the best days of my life (no wife, no kids) was the day I walked onto my own acreage. I'm guessing the second best day will be when I make the last payment next year. Congratulations huntall!

When my brother and I bought ours, we were able to scrape together the cash to pay cash and avoid a lien.

I borrowed from my 401k and my life insurance to pay my half. Last year I paid off my 401k loan. On July 15th, I'll make the last payment on my remaining life insurance loan.

I'm not sure what I'll do after I put that check in the mail. Any suggestions?

One of the best days of my life (no wife, no kids) was the day I walked onto my own acreage. I'm guessing the second best day will be when I make the last payment next year. Congratulations huntall!
1st and last payments are the best two!!!!

Congrats on the purchase. I have to get moving on a plan to buy the 170 acres that surrounds us. It is an out of state owner that is in his 70's and only stops by once every 15 years. They don't do land loans in NY, not sure if that is the norm everywhere. How would one buy land in a hurry, without having 200k in the bank? My problem is going to be it is surrounded by a huge lumber company that will buy it without hesitation. It has not been logged in 20 years and has pristine cherry and maple, and lots of it.

If that's the case, you're going to need a lot more than 200k!!

When my brother and I bought ours, we were able to scrape together the cash to pay cash and avoid a lien.

I borrowed from my 401k and my life insurance to pay my half. Last year I paid off my 401k loan. On July 15th, I'll make the last payment on my remaining life insurance loan.

I'm not sure what I'll do after I put that check in the mail. Any suggestions?

Start buying Utility Stocks with Dividends and start making some money! Or maybe buy more land and do it all over again!

Interesting. I won't be looking for land anywhere for quite awhile I think....though I may quit deer hunting all together if the MN DNR doesn't get their heads out of the sand

i pretty much did exactly that 2 years ago. i bought land in wisconsin and now do 80% of my hunting there. soon, maybe this year, i'll be listing my mn land. unless something changes at the dnr it's not worth the high taxes i have to pay. very sad.

land ownership can be very rewarding and very frustrating. We own a farm my wife's grandfather used to farm and our goals are now different but we still shre a connectionto that ground. All the deer I have ever harvested have come from that ground and that is why Iam proud of all of them. I don't think a monster buck off another property would mean as much to me. That's the rewarding part - being able to make a difference! The frustrating part is when you haveothers that simply don't respect property lines, or the law - essentially they don't respect you. WhenI was a kid my grandparents had 20 acres to me it was huge! I now have 160acres of my own and that isn't enough at times. Nothing connects you to a piece of ground like getting a little bit of it under your fingernails!

Start buying Utility Stocks with Dividends and start making some money! Or maybe buy more land and do it all over again!

Been in and out of utilities already. Getting pretty hot. May not be much upside left.

Look at SFM, RSX, POT, TSCO.

Been in and out of utilities already. Getting pretty hot. May not be much upside left.

Look at SFM, RSX, POT, TSCO.

Haha! That's what I was told when the Dow was at 1,000 in 1980! That was the first year I started putting in Money! It is now at 17,000!

Yes, we are due for a correction. Hope it goes down 2-3,000. There will be some great buys at that time!