Land and Legacy

WeedyJ

5 year old buck +
Got Matt Dye from Land and Legacy coming to my place next Tuesday. Just decided to bite the bullet and get a comprehensive plan. Picked up some new acreage last year and haven't done much of anything to it, just spent time learning it. Looking forward to learning some stuff.

Got Matt Dye from Land and Legacy coming to my place next Tuesday. Just decided to bite the bullet and get a comprehensive plan. Picked up some new acreage last year and haven't done much of anything to it, just spent time learning it. Looking forward to learning some stuff.
Awesome. Let us know what you think. I’ve always been curious if you learn a bunch from them. They seem like they would work hard for you.

Sounds like you will soon have a good plan to work from. Matt and Keith are some great guys based on what they write and the reviews. Just remember, every great idea digresses to hard work!

Had my site visit yesterday. So far, it's been great. Learned a lot about plants on my place that I was unfamiliar with. Toured the property from one inch to the next. He would request we stop and get boots on the ground often. Got a much better understanding of what bedding areas truly look like, how to develop and maintain these areas, having him explain how these areas had responded to my fires and why they were doing what they were doing etc. Discussion of options for my mature hardwood area as well. Never really even got around to food plots except for the few questions I asked. He made a lot of notes as we toured, mapping it out. Ended by taking a drone over the whole property. Looking forward to the official plan in 3-4 weeks. Said he will have a whole fire rotation plan for certain areas, which I have been wanting. Sounds like I'm gonna have some work to do!

Sounds like you got some value out of it. Any chance you'd be able to share the finished plan or parts of it? Interested to see what is provided.

It’s not near as comprehensive, but the Alabama Wildlife Foundation has 2 wildlife biologists that do plans for free. One came to my property and spent the day with me. Then he drew up a management plan for me. Was very helpful.

They offer 3 levels of consultation : aerial survey and phone consult, site visit with approx 8 page report which is good for note takers, and the full bore site visit with 25 page report, very detailed breakdown of suggestions and management plans, with audio as well. Follow up conversations and tweaking as you move forward. 5000 for the comprehensive and can't remember the others, but obviously less. I just got a nice additional piece of land last year and I'm too old to be learning by my mistakes. I need to do it right the first time now. I would EASILY waste more money than that, not to mention time, trying to stumble through all of the stuff I have to figure out.

Last edited:
They offer 3 levels of consultation : aerial survey and phone consult, site visit with approx 8 page report which is good for note takers, and the full bore site visit with 25 page report, very detailed breakdown of suggestions and management plans, with audio as well. Follow up conversations and tweaking as you move forward. 5000 for the comprehensive and can't remember the others, but obviously less. I just got a nice additional piece of land last year and I'm too old to be learning by my mistakes. I need to do it right the first time now. I would EASILY waste more money than that, not to mention time, trying to stumble through all of the stuff I have to figure out.
Im assuming that takes care of their travel expenses and lodging?

yep

I've had 2 buddies that have used them on their property and have nothing but great things to say about them. Anxious to hear your feedback after all is done.

Nice tract of land just came on the market that either joins you or just down from you. The forester I use, Jesse Johnson, is the listing agent on it.

I have known Adam through social media and phone calls for a few years. He is an honest, hard-working, passionate land manager. I have not used him for consulting but I can tell you, I consider him a friend. He is a really nice guy and smart as heck! Happy you had a good consult from him.

I've had 2 buddies that have used them on their property and have nothing but great things to say about them. Anxious to hear your feedback after all is done.

Nice tract of land just came on the market that either joins you or just down from you. The forester I use, Jesse Johnson, is the listing agent on it.
I saw a sign up when I was leaving the other day, but I looked on their website and couldn't find it. Is it Teryshinski's place? Matt had a lot of good things to share with me, but I think this was more of an information gathering visit. Am looking forward to the report. I'll let you know when I get the report.

I have known Adam through social media and phone calls for a few years. He is an honest, hard-working, passionate land manager. I have not used him for consulting but I can tell you, I consider him a friend. He is a really nice guy and smart as heck! Happy you had a good consult from him.
I had Matt come out, but he seemed great!

I saw a sign up when I was leaving the other day, but I looked on their website and couldn't find it. Is it Teryshinski's place? Matt had a lot of good things to share with me, but I think this was more of an information gathering visit. Am looking forward to the report. I'll let you know when I get the report.
Here's the link to the listing: https://www.landflip.com/land/323246

Anxious to hear how your plan works out.

OK! Had a great visit and now have report in hand. My habitat background training started with Level 1 QDMA Deer Steward, followed by a Habitat weekend with them in South Carolina. Couldn't make the Level 2 weekends. Read several books regarding food plots, early succession, etc. Obviously what I've picked up here and numerous YouTube videos and podcasts. I've burned before, but never had the knowledge of how burning on different rotations and seasons would affect the landscape. I'm pretty well versed in the lingo and have tried to employ my knowledge as best I could, but I still had so many questions and things to learn, specifically as it applied to MY property.

Matt started by questioning me about goals, timber, what we've done, what we've seen, etc. We loaded up in the side by side and toured the place, pretty much acre by acre. We would stop when he wanted, often to take photos or demonstrate to me why the things we had done had given certain results. He pointed out several of the plant species, especially the trees , helping me understand which were best to kill, hinge cut or mineral sprout. He would brainstorm out loud about what might be good in certain areas. He was respectful the entire time and listened to my questions and comments.

Got the report on time, as he told me it would be about 3 weeks. Report consist of 3 things: (1) 36 page document discussing the various areas of the farm, what's currently there, and what we want to do with it going forward. Makes herbicide, mechanical, and fire suggestions along the way in each area to help with the goals. Some of the info simply defines things, such as TSI, but it would be a great read for a newbie as well as some experienced folks. (2) Four maps, one with the areas outlined separately, one with burn units and their rotations , one with tree stand and blind placements and how to access, and one with those things color coded as to which ones to hunt in which winds. (3) A nine page breakdown of the areas defined on the map as to exactly what we are trying to achieve (pine savanna vs old field vs bedding, etc.), how to do it, and a suggested year by year schedule to follow. At the end of this report is a list of invasives he saw and links on what to do with them and 4 audio clips discussing the 4 maps, totaling about 30 minutes. Sort of like a personalized podcast if you will :-)

For some reason, I'm not being allowed to post pics, but when I get this figured out, I'll post some map pics