Am I the only land mgr without a SxS

Interesting. I haven’t seen a low range on any I’ve looked at. We’re talking about a separate lever position for the transmission right? PRNLH? What year is it?

The 700-4 pioneer my parents have has the AT/MT mode. They have an automotive style transmission with gears, in mt mode you use paddle shifters to select the gear. Thus it’s easy to keep it in a low gear. I think that is only on the deluxe or forest trim now though?

Interesting. I haven’t seen a low range on any I’ve looked at. We’re talking about a separate lever position for the transmission right? PRNLH? What year is it?
Mine is a 2014. I think the lever is marked with: 2 Hi, 2 Low, 4 Low on one shifter on the dash. Another shifter is for Park / Forward / Nuteral and Reverse. The tranny is much like the old Chevy two speed and is driven with engine oil (IIRC)

I bought a 2024 Kawasaki Mule PRO FXT 1000. It has the option for a 6 seater, or fold up the rear seats, and extend the box. It works great. I have only had it about a month, but I use it around the land a lot, it will go deep into the woods for fire wood, and we trail ride and take the dog, grand kids, and friends and family for a trail ride. So far a great investment. I also use it around my shop, pulling in vehicles, hauling stuff, and it will probably have a snow plow on it soon. But I have a tractor and loader, a tractor with a snow blower on the back, an ATV with a plow, and a decent snow blower, but the sxs may also be a helper. I bought a heater, and an enclosure for it as well, so it will be used in the winter for sure.

Here is mine.
IMG_7656.png

I bought a 2024 Kawasaki Mule PRO FXT 1000. It has the option for a 6 seater, or fold up the rear seats, and extend the box. It works great. I have only had it about a month, but I use it around the land a lot, it will go deep into the woods for fire wood, and we trail ride and take the dog, grand kids, and friends and family for a trail ride. So far a great investment. I also use it around my shop, pulling in vehicles, hauling stuff, and it will probably have a snow plow on it soon. But I have a tractor and loader, a tractor with a snow blower on the back, an ATV with a plow, and a decent snow blower, but the sxs may also be a helper. I bought a heater, and an enclosure for it as well, so it will be used in the winter for sure.

Here is mine.
View attachment 68104
That’s the one I’d get if budget weren’t an issue, without a doubt.

I picked up a used low hours cub cadet volunteer a couple of years ago. The thing is a tank, not pretty or fast but it is perfect for farm/wood work. It came with a power operated snow plow and power dump bed.
I think I’ve only ever had to put it in low 2 or 3 times and I don’t think I’ve ever had to use the rear axle locking differential. I still use my 4 wheeler depending on the situation and planning on picking up a smaller tractor in the near future.
IMG_20200609_205003408.jpegIMG_1590.jpeg

Here is mine.
View attachment 68104

I didn’t see the new 1000 cc mules until you posted this. Sounds like kawi knocked it out of the park!

Where do you find these stats ? I looked it up and it said 400-500 deaths per year nationwide?

Getting hit by lightning is around 600?
No stats. And the way you put it really got me thinking. I don’t know a single person who got hit by lightning or even the friend of a friend etc. I can’t remember our local news reporting a lightning strike. But I do know an awful lot of folks that got seriously hurt in UTV incidents.

The worst was a young man who had just been married. Farm kid in the ag industry, we were friends with his parents and he had been a coach on one of my daughters softball teams. Absolutely wonderful young guy. He was on a couples weekend in Wisconsin, was driving a UTV and “wasn’t driving crazy” according to any accounts. Hit a curb somehow and flopped it over on its side. He hit his head on the pavement and was killed instantly. This happened before noon. Don’t think they were doing anything wrong.

Couple years ago the neighbor kid and his pregnant wife rolled one in the ditch. She was fine- for awhile they didn’t know if he would walk again. He has made a full recovery but has a lot of pain. They were zinging up the ditch headed to a family members house. Not doing a thing wrong.

Good friend from work’s mother was killed in a UTV late at night. Hit by a car in town. If she was driving a pickup truck, even a small one, or a car it would have been a minor crash.

I see stories all summer long on our local tv news station about people getting hurt and killed on UTV’sand ATV’s. I see a few stories about guys getting killed in tractor accidents, usually rollovers when mowing. Don’t ever remember a lightning story. I just think that means no one is tracking this stuff. It’s not like a car where every state does a crash report for every crash that happens on the road.

I don’t want anyone to give up their UTV’s. I just hope folks are careful and do what they can to be safe.

Someone else asked why a small truck or a tractor might be safer- I don’t know what to say about tractors. They don’t move as fast but you sure can get hurt on one. As far as trucks- they got safety equipment and we have been crashing them and learning from the crashes since the Model-T, lol.

Again, I don’t want anyone to give up their UTV’s. Just be careful and teach any young folks to be careful. They look handy as hell but I’ll just stick with my tractor for habitat work. If I did have one, I’d wear the seat belt and I’d be the dork that always wears a helmet.

Last edited:
No stats. And the way you put it really got me thinking. I don’t know a single person who got hit by lightning or even the friend of a friend etc. I can’t remember our local news reporting a lightning strike. But I do know an awful lot of folks that got seriously hurt in UTV incidents.

The worst was a young man who had just been married. Farm kid in the ag industry, we were friends with his parents and he had been a coach on one of my daughters softball teams. Absolutely wonderful young guy. He was on a couples weekend in Wisconsin, was driving a UTV and “wasn’t driving crazy” according to any accounts. Hit a curb somehow and flopped it over on its side. He hit his head on the pavement and was killed instantly. This happened before noon. Don’t think they were doing anything wrong.

Couple years ago the neighbor kid and his pregnant wife rolled one in the ditch. She was fine- for awhile they didn’t know if he would walk again. He has made a full recovery but has a lot of pain. They were zinging up the ditch headed to a family members house. Not doing a thing wrong.

Good friend from work’s mother was killed in a UTV late at night. Hit by a car in town. If she was driving a pickup truck, even a small one, or a car it would have been a minor crash.

I see stories all summer long on our local tv news station about people getting hurt and killed on UTV’sand ATV’s. I see a few stories about guys getting killed in tractor accidents, usually rollovers when mowing. Don’t ever remember a lightning story. I just think that means no one is tracking this stuff. It’s not like a car where every state does a crash report for every crash that happens on the road.

I don’t want anyone to give up their UTV’s. I just hope folks are careful and do what they can to be safe.

Someone else asked why a small truck or a tractor might be safer- I don’t know what to say about tractors. They don’t move as fast but you sure can get hurt on one. As far as trucks- they got safety equipment and we have been crashing them and learning from the crashes since the Model-T, lol.

Again, I don’t want anyone to give up their UTV’s. Just be careful and teach any young folks to be careful. They look handy as hell but I’ll just stick with my tractor for habitat work. If I did have one, I’d wear the seat belt and I’d be the dork that always wears a helmet.
Yeah definitely anything can happen. I also know of two people killed when they were spraying with their 4 wheeler and it rolled over on them. All this stuff can be dangerous for sure. I just think in the context of 4 wheeler v sxs, my 4 wheeler is way more likely to get squirrelly than my sxs

There was a bad accident in Minnesota, two kids were killed. I’m not saying it can’t happen. They were hit by a vehicle as they crossed a highway while in an side by side.

Yep it comes down to being cautious, careful, etc…

I see some of the top speeds say 50, 60, 70? That sounds like crazy talk. 20 is more than enough for me. We use the UTV for UTV things. Sounds like many of the accidents happen when they are used for car things. Everyone be safe and make wise choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people don't have any common sense. Many people aren't qualified to operate machinery or even cars much less. When my nephew from the burbs was 16, my dad let him drive our ranger 1000 in the open field. He had never driven one before. It was instant peddle to the metal. There was no easing into it and getting comfortable. He's 20 now and never been invited to drive it since. They proudly drive 85-90 on interstates, saying everyone does it.

There was a bad accident in Minnesota, two kids were killed. I’m not saying it can’t happen. They were hit by a vehicle as they crossed a highway while in an side by side.

Yep it comes down to being cautious, careful, etc…

That is a bad thing, around here in the country I see ATV's/UTV's flying down country roads all the time. In town the SxS and golf carts are legal if they are plated and have horn/turn singnals.

Same around here at least once a year something about kids rolling ATV/UTV

Using a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 4-passenger. The Mule is a really invaluable tool around the land. It's great to have the bed. I get so much more done using the Mule. Just yesterday I used it to... drive around checking cameras, hauling a ladder stand to a new spot, hauling material for elevated blind build, hauled leg tank filling water holes and watering young trees, stood on the bed to cut tree limbs and hauled bags of seed and fertilizer. With me sitting next to her my daughter was able to drive it. I also use it for trail rides for family and friends, hauling all kinds of cargo and pulling sprayer and drag harrow.

We have one... better for us than an ATV... but for utility purposes, the little 4WD RHD Japanese minitruck (ours was a Mitsubishi) we used to have was a whole lot better.

I dont think a utv is any different than anything else as far as safety. I let my 7 yr old grand daughter drive mine while I am in it. I dont let her drive the tractors or truck. It is what we as parents let a lot of these young kids do. I drive my sxs about 1500 miles a year. In the 20 years I have owned a sxs, I have never been in a compromising position. Half the time I am bush hogging on my smaller tractor, I get in a little bit of a sketchy position. I dont think a sxs is really inherently unsafe. But when you put a 14 yr old kid in one, or really anyone who drives one recklessly, it is really no different than any other motorized vehicle.

I have about 475 miles on my Mule. I use it about everyday. I ride it to town for basic stuff for a pleasure ride. My area has trails all over. Driving around the land is 5-10mph in low, trails I ride about 20-35, but on roads, it is safer to ride the road speed limit. I have had my Mule up to 67, and it will go faster, but road riding I will drive 55, which is the speed limit. It feels very safe, and not out of control, or squirrly like an ATV would. I know it isn’t as safe as a car or truck, but either is a motorcycle, and they drive all over riding the speed limit to way over. Riding it, I feel safer than driving a motorcycle.

Riding around my land, I feel much less safe driving the tractor than the sxs.

They have came a long way from the 2010’s to now. There are SXS that are designed for faster trail driving, and ones made for work, I bought the mule which to me was ideal for both.

I have a Kawi Brute V-Twin atv, a Kawi MULE PRO-FX EPS, a Kubota MX5800 tractor, and an ARGO Huntmaster 950 tracked 8x8. Every one of these can perform tasks that the others cannot. Our property is very diverse, woods, ag fields, and has a large tag alder marsh which I can only access with the ARGO. The wife also uses the the ATV & Mule for her stuff. The Mule is an invaluable work machine for hauling, towing, etc. And the tractor with the attachments I own expands my ability to get a lot of projects that require power done in a much more time efficient manner.

When I first started out, I only had a Kawi Prairie 300, disc, cultipacker, sprayer, & tow behind mower. But I was young and could do physical things I cannot do today. As you get older you appreciate the importance of mechanical leverage.

If your property is relatively flat and dry, with a good road system, then maybe an old jeep or truck might do. Every time I have had my truck on the property it just doesn't have the right feel size & suspension wise. Tires designed for traction are real important also. A truck definitely would have no place in food plot work.

You can do a lot with a liquid cooled V-Twin 1000 cc ATV and is a good starting point.

1725816286556.png

I used my SxS all last weekend after trailering it to WI. What a difference it makes vs a 4 wheeler. Made a quick trip down there this weekend and had all kinds of stuff falling off the 4 wheeler racks, just a total PITA to haul around a trailer with the 4 wheeler, way more convenient using the SxS.

Funny how this "habitat sickness" can creep up on a guy. When we bought our property, we had two Kawa Prairie ATV's......a 500 cc water cooled and a 300 cc oil cooled. The water cooled 500 was the go-to machine for pulling a small disk and the HD pulling....but the 300 held it's own. Both were quite useful over time......but it became evident after one season that we needed a tractor.

When my wife saw how I could clear land with a tractor and grapple and a rotary cutter......her days of lopping and grubbing and dragging logs were about over. Smile. I figured out how to buy the used JD 790 tractor and loader, a grapple, a 5 foot tiler, a 6 foot box frame disk, a box blade, a drag, a fertilizer spreader, and a car trailer.......all for about $15,000. Also built a lime spreader out of an old EZ Flow drop spreader. We found an old EZ Go golf cart which was a work vehicle as well as a transport to stands vehicle.

Of course we now needed a pole shed to store things....along with a well, electrical service for my welder, and a host of tools to fix this stuff. Log chains, binders, limb saws, chain saws, seeders, sprayers, big hammers, and lots more.

All went well.....and I added more implements including a stump grinder. The stump grinder was hard to position with a gear shift tractor.....so I upgraded to a sweet JD 3320 with CX Loader. Ground thousands of stumps from my food plots. Next came a Cab tractor with HVAC and a bit more power and lots of hydraulics and a tougher machine. (Kubota L 3360 HSTC). Hell I'm getting old and you can't take it with you....right? The Kawa's went down the road.....and I added a Honda Pioneer 700-4 to the fleet.

So now I added a flail mower, and I'm on my second grain drill after upgrading from a Tar River Says to a Great Plains 3P500. Likely forgot some other stuff like a post hole digger and field cultivator.......but I quit budgeting for this stuff. I can no longer do this work without the right equipment to get 'er done.

I've always gotten as much as I paid for the equipment I replaced. Used machines are good property......and new implements were 30% of what they are today....when I started accumulating.

It's a sickness......but it's fun.....and keeps a guy off the streets. Oh....did I mention cameras?.....and a log cabin to hang out during the season?.....and then there is the Polaris Ranger.

Last edited:
I really like those and seem to find a few of those that look like decent deals. I am a little scared off by their lack of a low range, though. In my hills, I need a granny gear some times.
I was at my land today.....and thought of this thread. Here is the layout and choices for the transmission on my 2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4.
tempImageqFdO2l.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageiut4Tv.jpg
    tempImageiut4Tv.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 7