Am I the only land mgr without a SxS

Aside from the fact a truck isnt going where my sxs does - I have five grand daughters - I have a six seater polaris. Also have a canam two seater and my son leaves his six seater polaris down here. Me and my wife have used them all in the same day

I have a truck, three tractors, and a sxs. Strictly time spent on the land, the SxS wins by a large margin. I rarely use my truck on the land other than going to get supplies in town. It is a rare day I dont use my sxs.

Also, it may depend on your land. My hand is hard on equipment - a truck or tractor will not go a lot of places on my land except when it is dry

View attachment 68088View attachment 68089
My tractor got stuck axle deep just looking at that pic^^^^^^

bill

I have a truck, three tractors, and a sxs. Strictly time spent on the land, the SxS wins by a large margin. I rarely use my truck on the land other than going to get supplies in town. It is a rare day I dont use my sxs.

Also, it may depend on your land. My hand is hard on equipment - a truck or tractor will not go a lot of places on my land except when it is dry

View attachment 68088View attachment 68089

Our experience is nearly the same. We used our SxS so much my father picked up a second one several years ago. One was in the shop for several weeks this summer, and was surprised how much we missed it. It is def the most used equipment on our farm for all the reasons mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would enjoy a side by side, especially for sap collecting in the late winter and spring and grooming my XC ski trail system, but for now there's nothing I do that my ATV and JD 990 can't deal with. A UTV would be an expensive luxury item. Maybe down the road.

I can’t imagine farm life without one. The Kawasaki Mule is not fast, but can navigate trails that I can not take a pickup and is easy to get in and out of. I can easily haul 100 gallons of water or tow a trailer full of firewood.
One feature I love is that I can start the Mule in gear (with the brake on). I have two (one at the farm, the other at the cabin). A total of 16 years on these units and never a hiccup.

IMG_0868.jpeg

We now have two at our camp. I wonder how we ever got anything done without them. As others have said, they're great cargo haulers. Trees, tools, tools, fencing, seed, spreaders, sprayers, etc. My kids love going for rides in them.

Yamaha Viking with 4x4. Not one issue with it. Great for shed hunting, pulling a brush mower, firewood , great for farm work

An inordinate number of people die and get seriously hurt doing super ordinary stuff in side by sides. When I say that it’s immediately dismissed and no one talks about it. Not worth it.

Land owners need tractors and trucks. Just my opinion.
Doing more stuff by myself and being pretty safety conscious, this post really caught my attention. Are you saying there’s something dangerous about UTVs? What things do you see happening that is making them more dangerous than trucks or ATVs?

Doing more stuff by myself and being pretty safety conscious, this post really caught my attention. Are you saying there’s something dangerous about UTVs? What things do you see happening that is making them more dangerous than trucks or ATVs?
I think they are less dangerous than a 4 wheeler. Bigger and more stable. Not sure I’ve ever felt in danger on mine

I've got a Honda Pioneer 700-4.....and it's got a big single cylinder engine....that is big enough for any drag I needed to pull. I use ours with a sprayer and a Herd seeder mostly....as well as for camera checks and general maintenance and such. I think the Honda automatic transmission is the best thing since sliced bread. I like the rear jump seats in a compact vehicle....as I can take some extra people along at times for a little land tour, etc. Only short coming is lack of power steering on mine.....and the engine heat is excessive in the summer. Mine has been super reliable in the ten years we have had it. Mine will go about 50 MPH.....plenty fast for my purposes.

Own only a tractor with a loader. The bucket is a carryall most of the time. Pretty much all high ground so weight not really a concern but something that can push downed timber off trails and lift stuff is. Tractor is parked close to land until snow flies than it gets brought home for plowing duty. I don't own vast acres so lotta time will just park in a location and walk. I'm not so old that I have to drive everywhere and off trail smaller equipment does not have ground clearance to get over all the glacial till rocks a plenty.

If had to trailer to site each time would get something smaller like sxs or gator, mule so get that for some folks.

A sxs is just too pricey to have when my needs are met with a tractor that has the power of hydraulics. Hydraulics is key to getting real work done for my situation.

I use our four-wheeler a lot, it's a Honda Rancher or something like that, also have a two-wheel cart that I can pull behind if needed. I do want a SxS one day, would be way easier for my wife to use and to haul grandkids around...don't need a fast one just really dependable, the front winch would be nice too. I think 4wheelers are prolly more dangerous to use I know mine goes way faster than I will ever need and SxS have more room and comfort.
I use my truck for bigger stuff but if it's wet out it can cut up my pasture where the 4wheeler almost doesn't leave a track.

Own only a tractor with a loader. The bucket is a carryall most of the time. Pretty much all high ground so weight not really a concern but something that can push downed timber off trails and lift stuff is. Tractor is parked close to land until snow flies than it gets brought home for plowing duty. I don't own vast acres so lotta time will just park in a location and walk. I'm not so old that I have to drive everywhere and off trail smaller equipment does not have ground clearance to get over all the glacial till rocks a plenty.

If had to trailer to site each time would get something smaller like sxs or gator, mule so get that for some folks.

A sxs is just too pricey to have when my needs are met with a tractor that has the power of hydraulics. Hydraulics is key to getting real work done for my situation.
Part of me thinks I need to get a tractor and keep my ATV. Part of me thinks I need to go cheaper and just trade the ATV for a SxS and wait for the tractor (hire out or rent for 1-2x annual mowing and plot planting).

I just have an ATV. It was the first thing I bought for my land. I enjoy the maneuverability but would prefer the extra seats and bed of a sxs. I’ll have a sxs soon when my 1 and 3 year old daughters and wife start coming out to the land more often.

I've got a Honda Pioneer 700-4.....and it's got a big single cylinder engine....that is big enough for any drag I needed to pull. I use ours with a sprayer and a Herd seeder mostly....as well as for camera checks and general maintenance and such. I think the Honda automatic transmission is the best thing since sliced bread. I like the rear jump seats in a compact vehicle....as I can take some extra people along at times for a little land tour, etc. Only short coming is lack of power steering on mine.....and the engine heat is excessive in the summer. Mine has been super reliable in the ten years we have had it. Mine will go about 50 MPH.....plenty fast for my purposes.
I really like those and seem to find a few of those that look like decent deals. I am a little scared off by their lack of a low range, though. In my hills, I need a granny gear some times.

I just have an ATV. It was the first thing I bought for my land. I enjoy the maneuverability but would prefer the extra seats and bed of a sxs. I’ll have a sxs soon when my 1 and 3 year old daughters and wife start coming out to the land more often.
I think this sums it up. If it's just a single person doing all the land stuff an atv and a small trailer do fine and saves some cash. Once it's two or more folks together the sxs is worth the extra dollars or for those long in the tooth the ease of getting on/off as a previous post brings up is pretty important. Know a bunch folks in their golden years that swinging a leg up over on a 4 wheeler is not happening. Mom's hubby is unstable as heck and needs a cane or walker but can still get into and operate his small truck or golf cart. For now anyway.

I really like those and seem to find a few of those that look like decent deals. I am a little scared off by their lack of a low range, though. In my hills, I need a granny gear some times.
Mine has a low range.....and I normally use it when spraying. It is easier to maintain the 4 mph speeds I spray at using low range. One thing later models have ( I think) is 'turf mode" which would be important if you use it around your yard. It's been no big deal for me.....but if you drive on a lawn it will tear things up a bit. If you buy one.....look for turf mode and power steering. Pretty sure later units have this (?). I'm happy with mine.

Mine has a low range.....and I normally use it when spraying. It is easier to maintain the 4 mph speeds I spray at using low range. One thing later models have ( I think) is 'turf mode" which would be important if you use it around your yard. It's been no big deal for me.....but if you drive on a lawn it will tear things up a bit. If you buy one.....look for turf mode and power steering. Pretty sure later units have this (?). I'm happy with mine.
Interesting. I haven’t seen a low range on any I’ve looked at. We’re talking about a separate lever position for the transmission right? PRNLH? What year is it?

An inordinate number of people die and get seriously hurt doing super ordinary stuff in side by sides. When I say that it’s immediately dismissed and no one talks about it. Not worth it.

Land owners need tractors and trucks. Just my opinion.
Where do you find these stats ? I looked it up and it said 400-500 deaths per year nationwide?

Getting hit by lightning is around 600?

Interesting. I haven’t seen a low range on any I’ve looked at. We’re talking about a separate lever position for the transmission right? PRNLH? What year is it?
The Kawasaki Mule has a high and low range. I use low most of the time around the farm, but high is nice for getting from point to point. Top speed on the Mule is just 25 mph. On the mule the high/low lever is on the dash, as are the levers for 2WD/4WD and the locking differential.