Killing weeds in clover.

The named branded Roundup label has directions for "Clover renovation". It suggests UP TO 3 pints/1.5q per acre.

Attachments

• 1708024640588.png
    1708024640588.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 32
The named branded Roundup label has directions for "Clover renovation". It suggests UP TO 3 pints/1.5q per acre.
That is very interesting. I wouldn’t use that high of a rate but 1 quart with some cleth sounds about right.

Oh, interesting!! This is helpful. Thank you!!

That is very interesting. I wouldn’t use that high of a rate but 1 quart with some cleth sounds about right.
I've used one quart pretty successfully. I could see maybe using 1.5q in a really thick stand of clover, if there are some stubborn weeds.

I've used one quart pretty successfully. I could see maybe using 1.5q in a really thick stand of clover, if there are some stubborn weeds.
Wouldn't that just be killing more clover?

Wouldn't that just be killing more clover?
It likely just stunts the clover. Keep reading the label. It talks about needing higher rates to totally kill clover.

It likely just stunts the clover. Keep reading the label. It talks about needing higher rates to totally kill clover.
I think you could clean the clover up with much lower rates. I’ve used 8-10oz/acre along with 12-16oz of cleth and had great results.

In this adventure, whatever the rate, timing is everything - from killing the unwanted weeds and to not killing the clover.

In this adventure, whatever the rate, timing is everything - from killing the unwanted weeds and to not killing the clover.
Agreed. But I would alway err on side of not killing the clover.

Depends on how much you hate the weeds.
Again. We ain’t farmers. Deer probably eat those weeds.

They also will terminate with season change. Then get a handle on them with preemergent or when they are small the next year.

Bare spots where weeds were can be easily renovated in fall planting or frost seeding.

Seems pretty simple to me!

Am I the only one that mows my clover to cut down on weed competition?

Last edited:
Am I the only one that mows my clover to cut down on weed competition?
Mowing clover is so 1990s. Ha

I used to until Craig Harper dispelled some myths on it for me.

Mowing clover is so 1990s. Ha

I used to until Craig Harper dispelled some myths on it for me.

Good article.

This part was more along the lines of what my experience is and definitely why I've started threads about these regional differences - Craig notes the management timing and forage production period is different in the north where perennial clovers act realistically as a warm-season crop, producing throughout summer.

You can prolong a perennial plot with overseeding every spring or fall as well. I normally mow two or three times a year and spray once 'round here.

Last edited:
Good article.

This part was more along the lines of what inexperience and definitely why ive started threads about these differences - Craig notes the management timing and forage production period is different in the north where perennial clovers act realistically as a warm-season crop, producing throughout summer.

You can prolong a perennial plot with overseeding every spring or fall as well. I normally mow two or three times a year and spray once 'round here.
I’m so jealous. Truly. Really not much of a perennial crop to Me

I’m so jealous. Truly. Really not much of a perennial crop to Me
You would be more successful growing perennial clover in Kuwait than in east texas .......

bill

You would be more successful growing perennial clover in Kuwait than in east texas .......

bill
Same bro. All the varieties they say work. Don’t. I’m in central Alabama, prob very similar to your climate. Usually a little wetter, but last summer we didn’t get a drop of rain for 9 weeks. How much clover you think survived that. Ha

I do get some reseeding but I replant a diverse clover mix yearly. I am planting less and less lbs yearly, I think I’m building up a hard seed bank.

Two of my clover fields today. They will look like a textbook in early April. Then look like a weed field in August. Ha
IMG_3702.jpegIMG_3701.jpeg

bill
I'm going to make a preposterous general statement, but there is some truth in it.

If not for the proximity of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean the whole southeast would probably be a desert. We are extremely dependent on summer & fall "tropical" storms for much of our rainfall in the growing season.

I'm going to make a preposterous general statement, but there is some truth in it.

If not for the proximity of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean the whole southeast would probably be a desert. We are extremely dependent on summer & fall "tropical" storms for much of our rainfall in the growing season.
Dead on. Tropical storms are all the rain we get sometimes Aug-Oct