Killing weeds in clover.

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
I have some established clover that has grasses growing in them. I will control that with clethodim (Arrest). No worries here. But I have another clover plot that has anything and everything growing in it. My question is this: If I spray this clover plot with both grass and broadleaf and a host of other forbs growing in it, will the glyphosate kill the existing clover? I have seen a couple of videos saying that spraying an existing clover plot (not a newly planted one) will set the clover back a few weeks, but will not kill it, but it will kill the undesirable weeds. I want to do this if it really works. But before trying it, I wanted you guys to weigh in on it and guide me. Thanks so much for any help.

Will 2-4db (butyrac) kill the non grasses you want dead? That seems like a safer bet than glyphosate. Raptor is another option that should spare your clover and would address grasses and broadleaves.

Last edited:
I have never used 2-4db but I have used Imox a couple times. Expensive, not super fast acting but worked well! Kills prey much everything but the clover.

I can’t remember the rate, just went off the label. Got it from Keystone on Amazon.

I have never used 2-4db but I have used Imox a couple times. Expensive, not super fast acting but worked well! Kills prey much everything but the clover.

I can’t remember the rate, just went off the label. Got it from Keystone on Amazon.
4oz/acre if you have chicory. 6 if not

Light application of gly when things are young, like this time of year. Atleast in NY. I'd do this in a few days. Gly is non-selective. Will stunt or kill anything. After you o this, if there is still major weed issues, ID what ou have Close-up pictures. Shape / texture of leaf, how leaf comes from stem, seed head, and sometime digging up the plant to ID the root structure.

If you're not sure what you have, selective herbicides is a crapshoot. pigweed, smartweed, ragweed, red aramath, mace sedge, nutsedge, broomsedge are common topics on here atleast.

I welcome dandelions, plantain, crabgrass. Deer enjoy some stuff you thinkis nusiance in your plot. Id your plants, then watch them. When a plant reaches a certain growth stage or frost come, sometimes deer will hit them good at certain stages.

Some mowing can help, too much can be a problem though. See the seed heads starting to grow but not mature, mow them. Some weeds will not make seed after that for a year, some will. I mow down to about 5 or 6 inches. Mowing too much will allow younger weeds a chance at light more, and frequent mowing will prevent clovers from producing,especially red clovers.

Clover produces nitrgoen for itself and some excess. Excess nitrogen will be used by something else, In pure clover plots you got alot of fighting against nature to do. IF you rotate stuff in your clover plot, you get a good balance. Late summer rye, turnips, other brassicas. Peas are legumes, but you can use them in there. Other plants like rye help with weed control too. The thatch of one can be used to help plant the next one.

Light application of gly when things are young, like this time of year. Atleast in NY. I'd do this in a few days. Gly is non-selective. Will stunt or kill anything. After you o this, if there is still major weed issues, ID what ou have Close-up pictures. Shape / texture of leaf, how leaf comes from stem, seed head, and sometime digging up the plant to ID the root structure.

If you're not sure what you have, selective herbicides is a crapshoot. pigweed, smartweed, ragweed, red aramath, mace sedge, nutsedge, broomsedge are common topics on here atleast.

I welcome dandelions, plantain, crabgrass. Deer enjoy some stuff you thinkis nusiance in your plot. Id your plants, then watch them. When a plant reaches a certain growth stage or frost come, sometimes deer will hit them good at certain stages.

Some mowing can help, too much can be a problem though. See the seed heads starting to grow but not mature, mow them. Some weeds will not make seed after that for a year, some will. I mow down to about 5 or 6 inches. Mowing too much will allow younger weeds a chance at light more, and frequent mowing will prevent clovers from producing,especially red clovers.

Clover produces nitrgoen for itself and some excess. Excess nitrogen will be used by something else, In pure clover plots you got alot of fighting against nature to do. IF you rotate stuff in your clover plot, you get a good balance. Late summer rye, turnips, other brassicas. Peas are legumes, but you can use them in there. Other plants like rye help with weed control too. The thatch of one can be used to help plant the next one.
Same. I like 12oz Clethodim, 4oz of imox, and 8-10oz of gly sprayed once in spring. Then I don’t do anything else till fall

Same. I like 12oz Clethodim, 4oz of imox, and 8-10oz of gly sprayed once in spring. Then I don’t do anything else till fall
So you feel the Cleth and Imox provide what along with the gly? A bit of residual from the Imox? Increased kill on target grasses/weeds? Do you add crop oil or surfactant? Nitrosurf for the Imox?

Use Clethodim and Crop Oil for treating grasses in clover and alfalfa...
IMG_1999 (2).jpeg

Use Buthyrac 200 - 2-4,DB for treating broadleaf weeds in clover and alfalfa...
IMG_2723 (3).jpeg

Use both Clethodim and 2-4,DB for treating both grasses and broadleaf weeds. They can be tank mixed together for one application.
IMG_3395.jpg

The most economical way to treat grasses and broadleaf weeds in clovers? Use 41% Glyphosate at 1/2 Quart per acre...in May here in Upper Michigan...
IMG_7732.jpg

Of course, you always want to add AMS to the water before adding the Gly...
IMG_8182.jpg

1 solo cup (about 1 - 1 1/2# per 10 gallons of water) works well on well water.
IMG_8183.jpg

Clover strip treated with 41% Glyphosate at 1/2 Quart/Acre on May 12th (I normally treat clovers and alfalfa in May). I don't like dandelions because if I let them go I will have 5X as many next year.
IMG_5467.jpg

Same strip on June 5th - 24 days later - Nothing but clover. Yes, the Glyphosate will set back the clovers somewhat but clovers are resistant to Gly and they will bounce right back soon. In my experience it is nearly impossible to terminate clovers - especially Medium Red Clovers with Glyphosate alone.
IMG_5693.jpg

Here is an alfalfa/clover plot that had some grasses and pigweed in it until I treated it with a mixture of Clethodim and Butyrac 200 - nothing but alfalfa and clover now...

IMG_3975 (1).jpeg

They will all work. Choose whatever method works best for you.

Last edited:
All that is great advice wild thing.

I like chicory and it makes it a little harder or I would just use weak gly. Gonna try some experiments and see if it will tolerate the weak gly like the clover does.

Imox has about a 2 month residual for broadleaves and works pretty good on grasses. Adding Clethodim and kills almost anything not a legume.

2-4db kills chicory. See above.

So you feel the Cleth and Imox provide what along with the gly? A bit of residual from the Imox? Increased kill on target grasses/weeds? Do you add crop oil or surfactant? Nitrosurf for the Imox?
I almost always use ams and surfactant. I don’t use crop oil mainly bc it’s just easier to always use nis.

All that is great advice wild thing.

I like chicory and it makes it a little harder or I would just use weak gly. Gonna try some experiments and see if it will tolerate the weak gly like the clover does.

Imox has about a 2 month residual for broadleaves and works pretty good on grasses. Adding Clethodim and kills almost anything not a legume.

2-4db kills chicory. See above.

Forgot about the chicory. I haven't planted chicory with my clovers for many years just because it makes it a little more difficult to maintain with chicory in the mix. I did add some chicory to one of my cover crop mixes last year but I won't be concerned with terminating it along with the cover crop when I'm ready to plant my brassicas. Probably won't add chicory to any more cover crops either as I think I paid about $7/# for it and that is too expensive to treat as an annual.

Last edited:
Forgot about the chicory. I haven't planted chicory with my clovers for many years just because it make it a little more difficult to maintain with chicory in the mix. I did add some chicory to one of my cover crop mixes last year but I won't be concerned with terminating it along with the cover crop when I'm ready to plant my brassicas. Probably won't add chicory to any more cover crops either as I think I paid about $7/# for it and that is too expensive to treat as an annual.
All good my man. Summers are tough on clover here in Alabama and word is chicory Might do well. I added to all my plots last year so want to see what it looks like in august.

I almost always use ams and surfactant. I don’t use crop oil mainly bc it’s just easier to always use nis.

The crop oil acts as a sticker which I think makes the Cleth more effective. As you likely know, Clethodim doesn't act as quickly as Gly so the crop oil does help it out. Agree to always use a surfactant (which is included with the Gly in many cases) and AMS with my Gly because I do use well water in my sprayer.

All good my man. Summers are tough on clover here in Alabama and word is chicory Might do well. I added to all my plots last year so want to see what it looks like in august.

Yes, I know chicory is a good addition to clover plots and a lot of guys here in Michigan use it routinely as well. Hope it works out well for you down in Bama!

View attachment 52272

View attachment 52274

Use both Clethodim and 2-4,DB for treating both grasses and broadleaf weeds. They can be tank mixed together for one application.
View attachment 52273

The most economical way to treat grasses and broadleaf weeds in clovers? Use 41% Glyphosate at 1/2 Quart per acre...in May here in Upper Michigan...
View attachment 52275

View attachment 52276

View attachment 52277

Clover strip treated with 41% Glyphosate at 1/2 Quart/Acre on May 12th (I normally treat clovers and alfalfa in May). I don't like dandelions because if I let them go I will have 5X as many next year.
View attachment 52278

Same strip on June 5th - 24 days later - Nothing but clover. Yes, the Glyphosate will set back the clovers somewhat but clovers are resistant to Gly and they will bounce right back soon. In my experience it is nearly impossible to terminate clovers - especially Medium Red Clovers with Glyphosate alone.
View attachment 52279

Here is an alfalfa/clover plot that had some grasses and pigweed in it until I treated it with a mixture of Clethodim and Butyrac 200 - nothing but alfalfa and clover now...

View attachment 52280

Gly alone kills your dandelions? I can hit dandelions with a pretty stiff shot of gly and it slows them down, but it never kills them.

Gly alone kills your dandelions? I can hit dandelions with a pretty stiff shot of gly and it slows them down, but it never kills them.

Yes - Dandelions are wimps in my area. I use a weak Gly solution in my clover strips but I use 2-4,D on dandelions on my lawn. Either way, they are goners once I spray them.

Another clover strip with grasses and dandelions on May 14th...
IMG_5501.jpg

Sprayed with Gly on May 16th...
IMG_0207 (3).jpeg

One month later on June 16th - nothing but clovers...
IMG_5798.jpg

I suspect dandelion needs rich soil. I have sandy oil up north and do not have luck trying to keep dandelion in the camp lawn / parking lot area. Haven't tried it in the plots up there. I do have one that has alot of organic mterial. The plot is next to a steep hillside, i suspect heavy rains wash down the organic material into this one spot.

View attachment 52272

View attachment 52274

View attachment 52273

View attachment 52275

View attachment 52276

View attachment 52277

View attachment 52278

View attachment 52279

View attachment 52280

Thanks, WT, for posting the pics with the mix proportions shown in those pics. BIG HELP for those of us non-AG guys!!

Thanks, WT, for posting the pics with the mix proportions shown in those pics. BIG HELP for those of us non-AG guys!!

Happy that you find it useful BnB. I certainly don't have all the answers but some of this stuff I do have some experience with.

Happy that you find it useful BnB. I certainly don't have all the answers but some of this stuff I do have some experience with.
It's useful to those of us who don't have that experience, WT!! Easy-to-read, black & white mix ratios are a big help. Good to get the info from someone with real, on-the-ground experience.