Killing weeds in clover.

Raise your hand if you have ever (unintentionally) killed your clover by spraying a "light" dose of gly. Me!
1683169473098.png

I sprayed a heavier 2 qt per acre Gly over some clover once and then a freak severe frost happened. It looked like it killed the clover but, I still say you can’t really kill clover. It set it back pretty good and it took about a year to rebounded and get back to normal. It did do a good job on the grass though. As an experiment one time I did a burn down on some established clover with 4 qts per acre Gly and 4 qts 2-4D With some surficant. Then I Tilled it under but I never planted anything. By fall I had some clover and a year after that you’d never know anything ever happened with that field. That was jumbo ladino.

Raise your hand if you have ever (unintentionally) killed your clover by spraying a "light" dose of gly. Me!
View attachment 52345

Nope - So far….so good. :)

There are other options as I mentioned above, so if you don’t feel comfortable using Gly, use one of the others.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I'm going with glyphosate application with the belief my established clover will survive that. I'm doing it tomorrow, then probably will need at least one more spot treatment this summer, then I plant clover in August. Thanks all and good look with your plots as well!!

One more question. I have 1.6 acres Im' spraying, at one quart per acre, how much water would I add to it? Clearly there will be 1.6 quarts, but how much water?

One more question. I have 1.6 acres Im' spraying, at one quart per acre, how much water would I add to it? Clearly there will be 1.6 quarts, but how much water?
You do not want to spray Gly at 1 qt/acre or you may very likely overdo it and nuke your clovers. I spray clovers at 1/2 quart/acre which I have found to be safe this time of year.

You need to calibrate your sprayer to see what coverage you get.

Last edited:
Here is what my sprayer uses to cover 1 acre:

IMG_2808 (3).jpeg

so........I would add 1/2 Quart of Gly per 20 gallons of water in my tank. I know this because I took the time to properly calibrate my sprayer when I first purchased it. If you haven't calibrated your particular sprayer....you are just guessing......not a very good idea when spraying clovers with Glyphosate.

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_8173.jpeg

This is the way it looked on April 20.
This is just me - that looks pretty good for a deer plot. I'm no clover plot expert, but is that amount of grass in the clover something to worry about??
( I'm NOT bashing you, EarthySpirit!! ) Just asking for my own learning. I know some guys on here don't sweat a few weeds and grass in their plots - so I'm wanting to learn myself.

12-16oz of Clethodim, AMS, NIS, in 20 gallons of water per acre. Would look like a picture.
Add 4-6oz per acre of imox or pursuit and that’s all you’d need to do till fall

However much water your sprayer uses to get good coverage on 1.6 acres.

Sorry to hijack. If I was to spray my fall planted 2022 clover plot, when is it safe to spray. I'm a bit concerned about spraying to early.

With Clethodim and imox now.

I don't have any grass to kill and there is chicory in the mix that I actually like 100 times better than the clover. Imox OK on chicory?

4oz/acre

My 25 gallon sprayer will do an acre at 4 mph when full. You can fill the tank with just plain water and see how far it gets you then adjust accordingly. 4 mph at 4o psi is a good average speed and pressure for spraying plots.

I sprayed a heavier 2 qt per acre Gly over some clover once and then a freak severe frost happened. It looked like it killed the clover but, I still say you can’t really kill clover. It set it back pretty good and it took about a year to rebounded and get back to normal. It did do a good job on the grass though. As an experiment one time I did a burn down on some established clover with 4 qts per acre Gly and 4 qts 2-4D With some surficant. Then I Tilled it under but I never planted anything. By fall I had some clover and a year after that you’d never know anything ever happened with that field. That was jumbo ladino.
This isn't really a reply to you, Buckly. Your post just get's me wondering (still) how I killed my clover "with a light dose of gly." Let's start with an LOL just to set the tone...I think I know a lot but God and Mother Nature have a way of humbling.

This clover I smoked is in four separate kill plots ranging in size from 0.1 to a quarter acre and I executed all four.

It's not my first rodeo but I'm not very good at riding the bronco (are we still LOL?). I'm assuming I got my mix right. Don't ask me now what it was. Maybe I got it wrong. That's one possibility. Here's what I want to explore - a question to put of the table. First some additional background. My preferred clover is ordinary ladino. These plots tend to be somewhat-to-very wet, wet enough in spots to drown the clover. I have a friend, good friend, who over-seeds. He's kind of oblivious about clover type and variety. Point is, these plots ended up, I'm sure, with all kinds of white clover. I keep wondering if different varieties, white Dutch vs ladino for example might be more susceptible than others to "light doses of gly?"

Ok, I finished the spraying yesterday. 2.5 quarts over 1.7 acres. Hopefully it will not kill the clover. I'll report back the results in a couple weeks.!