Killing weeds in clover.

Ok, I finished the spraying yesterday. 2.5 quarts over 1.7 acres. Hopefully it will not kill the clover. I'll report back the results in a couple weeks.!
2.5 Quarts of Glyphosate??

Interesting. I would have used less than 1 quart on 1.7 acres because I only spray at a rate of 1/2 quart per acre when treating clovers....0.5 X 1.7 = 0.85 quarts - 27.2 ounces. Did you see this recommendation on Post #8 of Page 1?

You may have even done OK with a rate of 3/4 Qt/Acre....0.75 X 1.7 = 1.275 Qts for the entire .17 acres = or about 41 Oz. You applied 80 Oz!! (2.5 X 32 = 80). I don't know Earthy Spirit but you may be disappointed with the results. You definitely won't have any grasses in that nice clover plot but you probably won't have much clover left either.

Last edited:
This isn't really a reply to you, Buckly. Your post just get's me wondering (still) how I killed my clover "with a light dose of gly." Let's start with an LOL just to set the tone...I think I know a lot but God and Mother Nature have a way of humbling.

This clover I smoked is in four separate kill plots ranging in size from 0.1 to a quarter acre and I executed all four.

It's not my first rodeo but I'm not very good at riding the bronco (are we still LOL?). I'm assuming I got my mix right. Don't ask me now what it was. Maybe I got it wrong. That's one possibility. Here's what I want to explore - a question to put of the table. First some additional background. My preferred clover is ordinary ladino. These plots tend to be somewhat-to-very wet, wet enough in spots to drown the clover. I have a friend, good friend, who over-seeds. He's kind of oblivious about clover type and variety. Point is, these plots ended up, I'm sure, with all kinds of white clover. I keep wondering if different varieties, white Dutch vs ladino for example might be more susceptible than others to "light doses of gly?"

I usually mix my own clover blends using 3-5 different varieties and until last year they always included Medium Red Clover. I almost always included Ladino or Jumbo Ladino and one or two or three others. In my experience, Medium Red Clover has been the most difficult to terminate and sometimes I have to resort to spraying it with 2-4,D if the Gly doesn't work.

IMG_4442.jpeg

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_6468.jpg

Last year for the first time, I did not include any medium red in my mix - hoping to be able to terminate clovers in my cover crops easier.

One other thing I believe that may be critical is the timing of when you spray Gly on clovers. Here in Upper Michigan I have always done it in May. I am pretty sure if I sprayed in July or August I may have nuked clovers as well as the grasses and broadleaf. Our weather difference between spring and mid-late summer is night and day.

The other possibility Farmer Dan....as remote as it may be, is that maybe you applied a higher rate than you intended as Earthly Spirit appears to have done yesterday?

You do not want to spray Gly at 1 qt/acre or you may very likely overdo it and nuke your clovers. I spray clovers at 1/2 quart/acre which I have found to be safe this time of year.

You need to calibrate your sprayer to see what coverage you get.

Also @EarthySpirit - did you see this post in reply to your question on Page 2?

I have no knowledge to contribute here - but I learn things every time I read on here. Clover seed mixes, tank spray mixes, sprayer calibration methods, etc. This non-AG man thanks you AG-experienced gents. 👍

I usually mix my own clover blends using 3-5 different varieties and until last year they always included Medium Red Clover. I almost always included Ladino or Jumbo Ladino and one or two or three others. In my experience, Medium Red Clover has been the most difficult to terminate and sometimes I have to resort to spraying it with 2-4,D if the Gly doesn't work.

View attachment 52438

View attachment 52439

View attachment 52440

One other thing I believe that may be critical is the timing of when you spray Gly on clovers. Here in Upper Michigan I have always done it in May. I am pretty sure if I sprayed in July or August I may have nuked clovers as well as the grasses and broadleaf. Our weather difference between spring and mid-late summer is night and day.

The other possibility Farmer Dan....as remote as it may be, is that maybe you applied a higher rate than you intended as Earthly Spirit appears to have done yesterday?

That's interesting, the timing of your application. Here I/we(?) do a summer application of gly. Annual weeds and grass are full of glory while the clover is (mostly) dormant. To your second point - yes it wouldn't be the first time I mis-mixed. I had a corn planting that needed a pre-emergent herbicide. It was many years ago - before gly resistant crops. I need a quart of Bicep per acre. It was late and I was tired. I fixated on the "1" and loaded one gallon per instead of 1 quart per. The neighbors were in awe of my weed free corn field! The corn survived! And the field got planted with corn for several years after. There's a moral in that story...but I don't know what it is.

Also @EarthySpirit - did you see this post in reply to your question on Page 2?
Yes, I did see that one, thank you. Its just that there are varying opinions on this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yes, I did see that one, thank you. Its just that there are varying opinions on this. I'll let you know how it turns out.
OK - Please do. Thank you.

IMG_5747.jpeg
70629350463__F92AF202-EFD3-4AA6-8D1A-E1CA90568A6C.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg
Ok, here is part of the field 2 weeks later. the clover did well. some got set back but looks like it will hold on. I didn't take a picture of the larger field whre there was almost no clover, but it has a pretty good kill on it. I'll need to do it again later for a more thorough kill. Thanks guys for all your input. The think stuff you see on the right side of the picture I am allowing to grow up for cover, so you can disregard that.

Happy to see that the heavier dose of Gly didn't do more damage to your clovers, and it does look like the grasses are toast. While clovers are not completely immune to Gly, they are definitely "resistant". Good news!

Happy to see that the heavier dose of Gly didn't do more damage to your clovers, and it does look like the grasses are toast. While clovers are not completely immune to Gly, they are definitely "resistant". Good news!
Yes, indeed! Thank you. Now I will probably do one more spray in late June early July, then put down some clover, probably in early to mid August and overseed any bald spots.

Thank you!!! Once I plant the parts I sprayed I'll take a bigger picture of the larger project. I was surprised that even a strong mix of 4 oz of gly per gallon of water, still did not kill the clover, but did kill the grass/weeds.

Thank you!!! Once I plant the parts I sprayed I'll take a bigger picture of the larger project. I was surprised that even a strong mix of 4 oz of gly per gallon of water, still did not kill the clover, but did kill the grass/weeds.
You can use 10-16oz per acre (not gallon!) and get the same results! Clover is a weed in all aspects except that deer love it. Ha

You can use 10-16oz per acre (not gallon!) and get the same results! Clover is a weed in all aspects except that deer love it. Ha
I've been told that, but that has not been my experience, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Either way, the weeds are dead now, and I plant new clover probably in about a week and a half, as soon as this heat spell is over and we get some more chances of rain.

For those using Imox, do you feel the plant back would negatively effect an overseeding of rye in the fall?

Zero if you spray 2 months or more before. I usually spray 4 months before

Zero if you spray 2 months or more before. I usually spray 4 months before
I just sprayed today, been mowing all year and looking to clean it up before fall. I can wait until October to seed some rye.

I got a field of rye, clover, and plnatain. Got a red Aramth that will be a problem next year. What do you guys think on fighting that? There is about 2-5 plants per sheet of plywood sized area. Still have some timothy from 5 years ago in that plot, doesn't bother me too much.

Tempted to go in there hand pick each row, then mow the row. Don't feel like get lyme disease. There's tons of ticks in there. Aramath is dark n dry. Thinking I may need to kill the cereal grains that will be in the spot in the late spring. Then fight red aramath with just clover in the plot, or perhaps a no-till summer plant I can use a sparyer on an ATV to fight the aramath. Then go back to cereals grains in the fall next year.

Here it is September 10, just after bow season opened: Looks nice:

Attachments

• IMG_6240.jpeg
    IMG_6240.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 27