Kerr on rootstock other than B118

Where did you get those tags? Something you made?

I have write on aluminum and worried about their logevity.

I had to go back a check the pic.... The are spring loaded tags!! Kind of a creative way of doing it.

It appears they have a very expensive metal tape labeler/embosser... If you ever see on at an auction of thrift sale buy it. So one once and thought 20 bucks wasnt worth something I would never use - bad move they are super expensive.

Attachments

• 41Y76l2+chL.jpg
    41Y76l2+chL.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 16
My Kerr is on P18. Planted 2016. Fruited this year but the tree looked awful. Not impressed at all with it so far. It’s probably 10’ tall.

Any of those throwing fruit yet Bows?
Yes. We've had some Kerr on 2 of the 3 trees - but only a couple apples. I pulled most of them off to get more wood growth. There weren't that many, so it wasn't a big task. I ate a couple that were left on the trees to mature, and they were pretty dang tasty!! Dark red - about 2" dia. fruit.

Where did you get those tags? Something you made?
You want easy & cheap?? I used heavy-gauge aluminum flashing and bought an engraver for about $18 - $20. I engrave the variety, the rootstock it's on, and the year planted. I drilled or punched holes for the tag wires, which are 12 gauge insulated solid copper wires. Just pull the individual conductors out of romex housewire. If you're OK spending more $$$ - get copper flashing. Copper won't corrode in any of our lifetimes. I did the tags in the dead of winter instead of watching the tube.

I did a large tree planting last year of only a few varieties of hardwoods and spruce. I ordered engraved copper trap tags from amazon with customized writing on them. The minimum quantity was 25 though. I was able to configure the text on one set of 25 to cut the tag in half and get 2 labels out of one tag. If you didn't want them this way you could order blank tags and use an engraver and still get the benefits of copper. For a large planting this worked really well.

I had to go back a check the pic.... The are spring loaded tags!! Kind of a creative way of doing it.

It appears they have a very expensive metal tape labeler/embosser... If you ever see on at an auction of thrift sale buy it. So one once and thought 20 bucks wasnt worth something I would never use - bad move they are super expensive.

I like it, spring loaded allows for growth. $20 would have been a steal. Looks like it was for making military dog tags. Found one online for $200 :emoji_astonished:

You want easy & cheap?? I used heavy-gauge aluminum flashing and bought an engraver for about $18 - $20. I engrave the variety, the rootstock it's on, and the year planted. I drilled or punched holes for the tag wires, which are 12 gauge insulated solid copper wires. Just pull the individual conductors out of romex housewire. If you're OK spending more $$$ - get copper flashing. Copper won't corrode in any of our lifetimes. I did the tags in the dead of winter instead of watching the tube.

I like the copper flashing idea. Copper flashing would last many lifetimes. What do you use to engrave with?

I like the copper flashing idea. Copper flashing would last many lifetimes. What do you use to engrave with?
A regular store-bought engraver. Plug it in and off you go. It has a sharp point that vibrates and impacts the surface of the thing you're engraving - in case you haven't seen or used one before. I got mine at Home Depot. Probably a Lowe's, Menard's, or hardware would sell them.

The most we planted in one year (apples and crabs) was 25, and to make the tags for those 25 took me maybe 1 1/2 hours. Good project for a rainy day, dead-of-winter time filler, etc.

Last edited:

I use a metal stamp kit on copper flashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a metal stamp kit on copper flashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Individual letter punch type stamps?

So.... here is another option.

dynomite label maker the old ones with metal wheels - ebay stuff

You can use 1/2 metal/aluminum tape rolls. I have one works good.

What I am doing now and what I need to do...

I start with plastic nursery tags for my young grafted trees I pot out, after the summer the ones that survive get the aluminum foil tags,... they have stayed on the trees even in the field but are not what I want in the end long term. I will be stamping or engraving larger copper or aluminum tags - for each tree.

Attachments

• 125076339_1529078443.jpg
    125076339_1529078443.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 13