Its hot...

We are scheduled to have our first volleyball game of the year tomorrow. The school is not air conditioned and the state will not let us play if the indoor temp is 87 or over. Not looking good.
Any chance of a reschedule to a location with A/C?

Gonna be 105 F here today with 60% humidity. Drink those fluids!

Any chance of a reschedule to a location with A/C?
Our school systems all schedule competitions for the same dates. If they do it the same way where TS is then all the A/C gyms will probably be in use already. If not then they would have to talk another team out of their practice time to use their gym. Great idea though, but likely just reschedule to a later date.

It is about the same as your summers. You just avoid long periods outdoors. Except you dress warm.
When it gets that cold, and you dress warm, you have less then 30 minutes and you need to come into warm up. Fingers, toes and face get cold first.

But we dont have poisonous snakes, spiders, and all the other icky creatures, because they freeze to death.

I don't mind cold, but like you said my fingers and toes are what brings me inside. Of course I turn into a little girl about it if the temps drop below 10-15 degrees. I can't even imagine what -40 feels like. Would like to experience it at some point though. Would be neat to go for a run in that kind of cold.

Here's some of the icky creatures that we have around our place. The black widows and scorpions are fairly common with the scorpions a regular inside the house. Just can't figure out how to keep them out. The only thing that works is sticky traps. My youngest has been stung on the lip, had one in his shoe, and had one jump on him while taking a shower. He's pretty skittish around them now.
Screenshot_20230823_093506_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230823_093511_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230823_093700_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230823_093721_Gallery.jpg

Our snakes have become an issue with fishing. Got to get fish on a stringer pretty quickly or a snake will show up and try to eat them. Kind of wild to throw a fish down, cast out one more time, then turn around and have a snake wrapping the first one up.
Screenshot_20230823_093844_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230823_093412_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
giphy.gif

You dont want to run in -40, your lungs will freeze, along with your nostrils, eyes lashes. If you run, its to the car, or to the house.

Those are the icky creatures I was speaking of.

Its so hot here in Oklahoma, i have to carry around a spatula to pry my balls off my leg!
Seriously, it's so hot all the creepy crawlies, including rodents, and doing their best to get inside houses right now, Kinda like the wintertime in reverse...
And btw, scorpions stings are worse than a bee-sting, for sure!

I live about half way between KC and Springfield, forecasted 102 today. Got a 25% chance of rain tomorrow, guess my brassicas have a 1 in 4 chance.😬20230824_152004.jpg

Supposed to be ~ 100 here tomorrow with a heat index of 115. Planning on getting to my property at daylight to set up a camera and possibly move a ladder stand. If I survive that, I will go set up another ladder stand at the property up the street that I have access to. May just have to drop it off at the tree and return when it cools off.

A few years ago it wouldn't have bothered me, but I just can't handle the heat like I used to.

We saw the forecast coming and took off for a few days. Spent a couple days along MN north shore and a couple in the UP of the UP (Copper Harbor area). I think the highest we saw was 62. Family members were freezing but I thought it was awesome.

Mortenson, I told someone else on this thread that they suck... now you suck too!

I checked the weather widget as I headed out for my run today. Confirmed it, it's still hot.
Screenshot_20230825_155403_Weather.jpg

Today was the first day it reached 80 all week. And it was only 81, and it is suppose to cool off now.. I cant complain.

I am not saying its a good idea to play volleyball in a gym that hot, but when my oldest was playing volleyball in high school there was a game when the temperature on the thermometer outside the gym door said 102. It was hotter in the gym for certain!!

Decided to se up the new stand first, then set up my camera followed by moving an older ladder. I was soaked but would have finished had the ladder support brace not buckled when I was strapping it to the tree. Started @ 6:45 and finished up right at 10. Literally looked like I had just gotten out of the shower.

Reactions: 356
The record heat finally broke…this was the hottest spell since 2012, the infamous drought and EHD year for Missouri and much of the Midwest. It was still very humid yesterday as my son helped with some chores. Today the humidity will be lower, so I am hoping to get a few things done around the farm after church. We had a few sprinkles, but the drought is looking bad for fall plots.