Is This Apple Tree Done For?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_9082.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

This Arkansas Black Apple been in the ground for three years - seemed to be doing really well. Two weeks ago started to brown up. 15 other trees in this orchard look ok. Yes, it has been 105 and no rain for most part for last six weeks. These trees get this much water for thirty minutes every week. Yes, my water bill is a little high.

Is it drought, disease, or what. Is it going to come out next year - or should I pull it out of the ground and start over.

Leave it alone. It will let you know next year.

I hear you. Rip it out and plant 3 more. Maybe one will survive.
The more dwarfing the rootstock, the earlier you get apples!

I would leave it. The wood looks healthy, could just very well be stressed from the summer. Leaves like that are usually "environmental stress".

I'd leave her be. PErhaps next year mow around the trees a little less to help shade the ground. Set the mower higher, or discharge the cut grass in the general direction of the tree.

Having a bucket with a small hole in it is better than pouring around it. I use 2.5 gal water containers with a 1/4" hole and a rock in them. I still water around the tree some, then fill up the water container. The slow flow help keep the water around the tree, instead of running off away from the area, or going too deep in loose soils. Mine might drain out too fast, but it takes about 15-20 minutes. Any smaller hole and you worry about grass and other junk clogging the hole.

Also, plants that are stressed for water are also stressed for nutrients. I give them a mild solution of miracle grow. It can be hard to give the tree enough water, make that water count.

All good advice, bigboreblr

Going to step up the watering and see I that keeps those top leaves green.