Arkansas Black tree issue

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Have this little Arkansas Black that has been in the ground for 2+ years. I have in other posts talked about it’s pruning. I took off a limb as a few of the fellas suggested then we haven’t had a good rain since. Also, this tree is planted pretty close to a black walnut that is just leading out and there are cedars within about 30 yards. (Though Arkansas black is supposed to be very disease resistant). Any idea what might by happening to this tree to cause the leaves to look droopy and turn brown and wither..it was very good looking till about a week ago..what puzzles me is there is a Galarina within 15 feet of this tree that is thriving..any suggestions welcome would really like to save this tree if possible..
1684718949670.jpeg

Last edited:
From the looks of it that Black Walnut is probably the culprit. Apples cant tolerate Jugalone the chemical that come from walnut trees. Its definitely not CAR as I dont think I have ever seen a single spot of it on any of my Arkansas Blacks and it is by far in the top 5 of my go to apple trees. I would say any closer than 30 feet from the drip line of the walnut is too close and even heavy accumulations of walnut leaves have enough residual Jugalone to effect sensitive species.

Have this little Arkansas Black that has been in the ground for 2+ years. I have in other posts talked about it’s pruning. I took off a limb as a few of the fellas suggested then we haven’t had a good rain since. Also, this tree is planted pretty close to a black walnut that is just leading out and there are cedars within about 30 yards. (Though Arkansas black is supposed to be very disease resistant). Any idea what might by happening to this tree to cause the leaves to look droopy and turn brown and wither..it was very good looking till about a week ago..what puzzles me is there is a Galarina within 15 feet of this tree that is thriving..any suggestions welcome would really like to save this tree if possible..
View attachment 52941
Black walnut trees load their roots, buds, and nut hulls (covering walnut fruits) with the juglone toxin (leaves and stems have smaller amounts of juglone). The toxin seeps into the soil and susceptible companion plants will turn yellow, wilt, and sometimes die.
Some plants are very sensitive to juglone, and these include apple. The symptoms of juglone poisoning include wilted or yellowing leaves, stunted growth, and death. No apple tree should be planted within 80 feet of a mature walnut (or the drip edge of a young tree).

Black walnut trees load their roots, buds, and nut hulls (covering walnut fruits) with the juglone toxin (leaves and stems have smaller amounts of juglone). The toxin seeps into the soil and susceptible companion plants will turn yellow, wilt, and sometimes die.
Some plants are very sensitive to juglone, and these include apple. The symptoms of juglone poisoning include wilted or yellowing leaves, stunted growth, and death. No apple tree should be planted within 80 feet of a mature walnut (or the drip edge of a young tree).
Does it usually take a while for this to occur? This tree has been in the ground for over 2 years? I was leaning toward it being too dry, but I guess that does make sense.

Definitely a jugalone issue. The dry weather probably exacerbated it, when I lived in town the neighbor had a big walnut and in dry weather it seems to affect my plants more than during the wetter times of the year. The 2 year thing is probably how long it took the roots to intermingle. Your gonna have to move it.

I have walnuts at my place and one sprouted relatively close to a Red pine and Red Delicious apple tree the Red pine died and I cut it down and the large mature Red Delicious nearly stopped apple production I didn’t even think about the walnut being the culprit until it was already to late for the pine tree. Then one day it dawned on me the walnut probably 10” on the stump was the problem. I cut it down and a couple years later my Red Delicious is now producing tons the poor tasting apples again but the deer still like them.

Hmmm wonder if cutting down that walnut would help in my case...the walnut is a large tree but is in poor health and my wife has been after me to cut it down anyway...

Did you get a frost last week? All the leaves on my persimmon look horrible and lots of my chestnuts look poor as well.

Did you get a frost last week? All the leaves on my persimmon look horrible and lots of my chestnuts look poor as well.
it definitely got cold but I don't think we had an actual frost...that is another thought too...but a tree close by was unaffected? Are Arkansas Blacks a more southern tree? I am in zone 6A close to the line

Derek, If you cut down the tree you’re still going to have a jugalone issue for a few years due to the root system of the walnut…On the plus side walnut was bringing top dollar or at least it was on the west side of the state.

it definitely got cold but I don't think we had an actual frost...that is another thought too...but a tree close by was unaffected? Are Arkansas Blacks a more southern tree? I am in zone 6A close to the line
I have plenty of them that I know of that are in zone 5, no issues with cold hardiness there.

A Pa. State forester warned me NOT to plant 2 kinds of trees if we wanted to grow apple trees at camp - walnuts and red cedar. The walnuts because they produce juglone, which is a natural defense toxin to kill competing plants anywhere near them, and the red cedars because they host the CAR fungus. We had neither naturally, so we didn't plant either of them when we planted other tree varieties on the camp property. A neighboring camp told us they also heard about the walnut / juglone toxicity, so they steered clear of them as well. FWIW.

A Pa. State forester warned me NOT to plant 2 kinds of trees if we wanted to grow apple trees at camp - walnuts and red cedar. The walnuts because they produce juglone, which is a natural defense toxin to kill competing plants anywhere near them, and the red cedars because they host the CAR fungus. We had neither naturally, so we didn't plant either of them when we planted other tree varieties on the camp property. A neighboring camp told us they also heard about the walnut / juglone toxicity, so they steered clear of them as well. FWIW.
Thanks Bows...I knew about the walnut toxicity, but didn't realize it reached so far or for so long...I think this mau have something to do with the cold snap last week and possibly also the walnut starting to get leaves/produce pollen..might have just been a bad combo...we also have not had good rain in quite a while so I am going to try and nurse the tree with some good watering and see if it bounces back.

I'd give that tree some water with a little miracle grow. Dig that tree up this fall and move it farther away.

I have a line of mature walnut and some young ones. Would like to grow some spruce trees close to them if possible. They get bothered by walnut?

Oddly enough, I bought some hybrid red cedars in 2018 from the state tree sale. Not a signle hint of cedar rust on them. About 50 feet away is a little grove of red cedars with orange octopus all on them.

I'd give that tree some water with a little miracle grow. Dig that tree up this fall and move it farther away.

I have a line of mature walnut and some young ones. Would like to grow some spruce trees close to them if possible. They get bothered by walnut?

Oddly enough, I bought some hybrid red cedars in 2018 from the state tree sale. Not a signle hint of cedar rust on them. About 50 feet away is a little grove of red cedars with orange octopus all on them.
I gave it 5 gallons slowly last night..it looked a little perked up this morning...plan to fertilize a little over the weekend so we will see

On the drive to work I noticed that all vegetation near the guardrails were turning yellow and wilting because had been recently sprayed with herbicide. That's what came to mind when I saw the road in the background of your photo. Is there any possibility that herbicide spray drifted over from the road and affected your tree? This theory is easily debunked if there are no guard rails, signs, or patches of recently killed vegetation nearby.
I also read that mature walnut trees are thirsty and make excellent use of all ground water within reach of their roots. The author made the point that juglone might not be responsible for all the damage to surrounding plants, that dry soil caused by the walnut tree could be the primary factor.

On the drive to work I noticed that all vegetation near the guardrails were turning yellow and wilting because had been recently sprayed with herbicide. That's what came to mind when I saw the road in the background of your photo. Is there any possibility that herbicide spray drifted over from the road and affected your tree? This theory is easily debunked if there are no guard rails, signs, or patches of recently killed vegetation nearby.
I also read that mature walnut trees are thirsty and make excellent use of all ground water within reach of their roots. The author made the point that juglone might not be responsible for all the damage to surrounding plants, that dry soil caused by the walnut tree could be the primary factor.
I dont think my road gets sprayed and there is no other dead vegetation around...your point about the walnut sucking up all the water might have a great deal of validity though, as we are already experiencing a slight drought with no significant rain in sight..thanks for those insights!

Not impossible to be vole damaged underneath. check out the soil around the base. Grass looks a bit tall around that tree.

It looks like Juglone poisioning to me. That stuff will stay in the soil for years after tree is cut down. I had same trouble along road with some spruce trees, took five years after I cut the walnut down before I could get any to grow there. Soil type and rain fall determin how long it can stay in soil, I have loamy clay here. I think it leaches out of sandy soil the fastest.

The tree is pretty much toast I think. I think the combo of little rain, me taking the limb off way too late, close proximity to the walnut and gypsy moth attacks did it in…still holding out hope that I can move it sometime in the fall if it bounces back..thanks for all the good responses fellasD20964C5-8D51-428C-A622-EE767DFEACB8.jpeg

Last edited: