Arkansas Black tree issue

Given the fact that a number of apple-care sources say pruning can be done in the summer, as well as the dormant early spring time period, I don't think removing that lower limb caused your tree to fade. Juglone, gypsy moths, dry soil - bad combination of conditions. Gypsy moths, Japanese beetles, tent caterpillars - all can defoliate & kill trees - especially young ones.

I've removed much bigger limbs than the one you took off, and had no negative effects to the trees. I cut off basically half of an Enterprise tree that had a competing main limb to the central leader. The diameter of that competing limb was about 1 1/2" - not a small tree at that point - and it turned out great. Members of the camp thought I killed the tree by such a drastic cut, but going by professional advice from Penn State, it turned out to be the best move for a balanced tree.

So here’s an interesting update..this tree has jumped back to life! It doesn’t have tons of leaves, but they are green and the trees not actively dying..amazing what a little fertilizer and rain (and maybe a little prayer) will do..95DF18C3-2155-4489-BA99-6B59C3D476F8.jpeg

Prayer, patience, a bit of fertilizer, and it helps to get some rain, too. Glad this tree is recovering for you!

Wish I could say the same for my chestnut crab. I planted it last year and it looked great all season. Late winter I trimmed it up a little. It put out one leaf this spring and died.