Is there no love for the 22LR?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
So the gun nuts are scrambling in NY before sept 1 new ammo laws come in. Basically, a registry of what you buy.........

Son-in-law is stocking up. Told me 22lr's are a waste. Broke my heart........ About 3/4's of the time in the woods, I have a 22lr with me. About 3/4's the time I pull a trigger at the range it's a 22lr, flintlocks come second, centerfire rifles a distant 3rd. If they define microstamping as the ammo and not the gun chamber stamping the brass, 22lr will easily quadriple in price. Been getting CCI standard for about 10 cents a trigger pull. Federal 40gr solids been a touch under 7 cents a trigger pull. I buy them when they're out of CCI.

Nicest mass produced gun I own is a CZ 452 ultra lux 22lr. Good ole' iron sights ontop of a 26 inch barrel. Litteraly as loud as banging a hammer with CCI standard velocity, which I've been hunting for locally all summer. I have a 22lr sharps rifle reciever I plan on building a stock for.

Up at camp, I have a 22lr woodswalk path just for rimfire. Little gongs and metal chunks hanging here n there. 1/2 the challenge is to find them, which is the same thing you need to do small game hunting anyways. About 15 targets from camp maybe 500 yards. Doubles as a stalk hunting path I walk back to camp from my early season treestand.

I love .22! And similar to you one of my favorites is a CZ.

Nothing wrong with a .22LR. It’s what I always reach for when the groundhogs are in the yard.
In an apocalyptic world I believe you could feed yourself with one.

Not a .22 but I have a CZ .223 bolt action. I love it, it’s a tack driver.

Still have my Ruger 10/22 from when I was a kid. Cant tell how many squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and other dangerous game I took with it growing up. Bought a 100 round clip for it, 20 minutes to fill and about 30 seconds to empty.

Last edited:
Marlin 39a was my the first gun I purchased myself as a kid, used from a HW store. It was my favorite squirrel gun for many years when I was young.

Still have my Ruger 10/22 from when I was a kid. Cant tell how many squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and other dangerous game to took with it growing up. Bought a 100 round clip for it, 20 minutes to fill and about 30 seconds to empty.
This…. semi-auto with a wood stock. My favorite gun of all time. I shot thousands and thousands of rounds as kid back by the river.

Marlin 39a was my the first gun I purchased myself as a kid, used from a HW store. It was my favorite squirrel gun for many years when I was young.

I have my grandads 39 ( heavy original model ) made in the 40 s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not think I would ever find a 22 more accurate and fun to shoot as the 10/22 but my Walther tac 22 is tops . Match accuracy , AR platform ( not a conversion ) adjustable gas for different pressure rounds and suppressor use .

Still have my Ruger 10/22 from when I was a kid. Cant tell how many squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and other dangerous game I took with it growing up. Bought a 100 round clip for it, 20 minutes to fill and about 30 seconds to empty.
I have one as well, great gun, love shooting that gun. I grew up with a Marlin model 60. The old barrel load, I do love that gun. I couldn't count how many raccoons, rabbits, squirrels i shot with that gun. Even had to shoot my old favorite cow when I was about 14. She couldn't get up anymore and I couldn't stand to see her suffer.

I have one as well, great gun, love shooting that gun. I grew up with a Marlin model 60. The old barrel load, I do love that gun. I couldn't count how many raccoons, rabbits, squirrels i shot with that gun. Even had to shoot my old favorite cow when I was about 14. She couldn't get up anymore and I couldn't stand to see her suffer.

I should add that the lawyer proof trigger sucks but a few bucks and 15 minute trigger spring upgrade took care of that

I end up in the woods with a Marlin 22lr bolt action with scope. At 45, been using magnifying glasses and flashlights alot more than used to. So, I use iron sights less and less during hunting. I put a scope on my glenfield model 30 30-30 backup gun.

What ranges do you guys like t play around with? I am redoing the range at camp this summer. The 50 yard gong is hanging on by a thread. I got one of those little 3 swing targets ar 35 yards. A 6 inch and 1.5 inch gong at 50 yards. And another 6 inch gong at 100 yards. Might add another 6 inch gong at 200. Right now there's just a chun of plywood to hand paper. I do have a 10 inch gong at 230 yards. I can hit it with the marlin with a scope, but often try to whack that 1.5 inch chunk of metal at 50 yards offhand.

The woodswalk range has whatever metal and chain I had laying around. Mostly 1 to 4 inch chunks of metal from 30-75 yards. I have 2 gongs at the end of the walk you shoot from my southern treestand. 2 inch gong at 50 and a 3 inch gong at 75 yards.

22lr is king! I now live on 460 acres and shoot or at least carry guns daily. Its cheap to shoot. It takes a lot of shooting to become a good shot. I can't imagine learning to shoot a handgun well without the 22. Even now if I shoot a lot of heavy recoiling revolvers I can sense a touch of indelicacy creeping into my squeeze and god forbid a flinch. 22 cures it. my driveway is about a mile and three-quarters long. There is a powerline and I usually have the high standard in my lap when I go get the mail. Now that its dove season, the 22 is fairly adept and providing dove poppers as they can't resist the powerline perch.

Attachments

• dove.jpg
    dove.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 23
22lr is king! I now live on 460 acres and shoot or at least carry guns daily. Its cheap to shoot. It takes a lot of shooting to become a good shot. I can't imagine learning to shoot a handgun well without the 22. Even now if I shoot a lot of heavy recoiling revolvers I can sense a touch of indelicacy creeping into my squeeze and god forbid a flinch. 22 cures it. my driveway is about a mile and three-quarters long. There is a powerline and I usually have the high standard in my lap when I go get the mail. Now that its dove season, the 22 is fairly adept and providing dove poppers as they can't resist the powerline perch.

Interesting. When I was a kid, my dad started me squirrel hunting with a single shot H&R 20 gauge. By high school I needed more challenge so I got the Marlin 39A. Then in college I bought a cheep foreign made 22 revolver. That became an even bigger challenge for me.

I have nine 22LR firearms of different flavors they are the bomb diggity. The rifles we shoot with regularity at 100 yds. I have my kids shoot enough to be able to put 6 out of 10 rounds into an inch at that range. Sandbags off of a bench. I used to try and keep 10,000 22LR on hand with the current state of things I’d suggest having at least that much on hand is prudent.

Norma is pretty good ammo for $.086 a round little higher than the Federal Auto 22LR at Walmart for $.066 a round.

22LR and .223 REM/5.56 NATO are my favorite calibers. I have lots of other calibers but those two are tough to beat for utilitarian use and price of ammo.

Best steel target hangers I’ve ever used 15% sale ends today it will cover the shipping costs. I don’t necessary care for their targets but love the t-post hangers.For targets I prefer AR500 IDPA style with a center mounting hole with these hangers.

Winchester model 67A is what I used all the time, tack driver. It was my Dads before mine, single shot so had to make them count. Hunted all my "big game" with it, squirrels, bunnies, ground hogs, pigeons, coon...very small front sight. Still have it, my boys learned to shoot and hunt with it...grandsons will too.

I used to buy ammo by the 500 round brick when I was a kid...so I shot that single a bunch, took it with me every where! Used the Remington hollow point Hornets for hunting. Still pick up 22LR ammo whenever it's priced decent.

These are the style targets I like the best with those hanger’s

I've got lots of love for the 22lr. Sorry to hear about NY's absurd laws.

Best steel target hangers I’ve ever used 15% sale ends today it will cover the shipping costs. I don’t necessary care for their targets but love the t-post hangers.For targets I prefer AR500 IDPA style with a center mounting hole with these hangers.

These are my go to as well but I've only used them with the hangfast plates. Compared to some of the other methods of mounting to T-posts they are cheaper, simpler, ring much louder, and move a lot more with impacts which is nice when you're struggling to call impacts at long distances. Probably less ideal for someone looking to do semi auto mag dumps on the steel at short distance but that's not my thing.

How can you love someone who BREAKS up with you.......
iDSj1Va.jpg