is it too early to plant oats in NY?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
Normally I would plant my cereal grains this weekend (labor day) or a few days after depending on rains and such. Well according to our forecast we are 90% rain tonight and tomorrow but then after that it is like 10% or less for the next two weeks. I live in NY and the temperatures are not super hot and we get pretty good morning dew so im not worried about newly germinated seed and survival. Should I plant them today or is it a bit early? This is only to fill in the spots I missed in my brassica plot and one larger 30x40ft section that I completely missed in a 2 acre food plot of clover. Thoughts?

I am planting grains (6A) tomorrow. Oats, WR, and Barley. I would say plant especially with Oats being less hardy than the other grains.

I don't think 4 days to a week early is going to matter one bit.

Planted mine Saturday. You are good to go from here on out.

Today is the day

Don't plan by the calendar, plan by the doppler ....
exactly what I do. I planted a pea, clover, radish, oat mix on 8/12. They are only out of the ground 2-3 inches. I really do need to get a cage out there though. I didn't see a lot of tracks in the plot but it seems to me the plot should be "greener" than it is. No camera on it yet either.

I wish it was easy enough to plant by doppler. This year I got lucky a lot. I live in NY but about 90 minutes from my property. I've planted my brassica mix at the end of July, followed by August 6th planting Austrian Peas and on August 16th I overseeded everything with a light covering of oats. I use horse oats (rolled oats - horse feed). They grow well. They grow in almost all soil types. And best of all - they are REALLY, VERY, SUPER CHEAP! Like 50 lbs for $11.

I am going out this weekend to spread urea (which I had to mail order) 50lbs ($22 for the urea and $32 for shipping) over my brassica.
At the same time, I'm going to cover a couple of trails/small walking plots with about 100lbs of horse oats. I don't care much about the rain with the oats. Although my forecast shows rain on Sunday and my Nitrogen (Urea) is supposed to arrive Saturday. So, a Sunday planting in the rain sounds fine by me or a Monday planting after the rain works too.