Instant Pot cooker

Red Picqua

5 year old buck +
Just curious if anyone has taken the plunge like myself on this instant pot craze! I have to say it's pretty cool and I made some Venison last week that was excellent. I made some country ribs and kraut and to think you are cooking this for 15 minutes in this pressure cooker is amazing. They were excellent.

Got one after I developed a blooming hog problem on my place and found a couple of internet videos of folks cooking pork ribs in the Instant Pot. Can't say enough how much I love being able to cook them until they're fall off the bone tender in 20 minutes (total time with prep, pressure build, and few minutes broiling with sauce after instant pot is right at an hour).

For anyone who might find videos interesting... only note I'd add is that I've found a bottle or two of beer to be a GREAT liquid for use in the instapot (versus the apple juice). Being honest, I'm not that big of a drinker but tried it on the recommendation of a friend and really do like the taste it gives the ribs.

Another rib video... heck, kind of wishing this thread hadn't been started as I'm jonesing for some ribs now!

Got one over the holidays as a gift, its still siting in the box under my table.

Not really sure what Im supposed to do/cook with it.
I get the general premise.
But typically when I cook something I wing it, not really a recipe guy.

Although the ribs above look dang good.

Got one over the holidays as a gift, its still siting in the box under my table.

Not really sure what Im supposed to do/cook with it.
I get the general premise.
But typically when I cook something I wing it, not really a recipe guy.

Although the ribs above look dang good.

I don't think you need to follow a recipe per se. Just wing it... I have the instant pot and i looked at some general cooking guidelines with it. I figured country ribs were 15 minutes at high pressure. hmmm ok. common sense. venison could be anywhere in that ball park.

I know this is gonna sound lame. but I have never been able to get a hard boiled egg perfectly shelled. They come out like the moon. Well... this thing does them perfect.

I will go on a limb.. probably the coolest thing I have seen in the kitchen in many years. It's really a sweet cooker.

I though this thread was going the way of Colorado, California and soon NJ.
Green crosses selling wacky weed. :)

Interesting how they took the old pressure cooker and made it into a more idiot proof appliance for this day and age.

agree..... but the keep warm function and the ability to use it like a crock pot for setting up a timed meal. I have really enjoyed this instant pot. Just made some venison with rice that was delicious. I like pressure cookers for doing canning like John does, but doing everyday meals this thing really is the charm.

agree..... but the keep warm function and the ability to use it like a crock pot for setting up a timed meal. I have really enjoyed this instant pot. Just made some venison with rice that was delicious. I like pressure cookers for doing canning like John does, but doing everyday meals this thing really is the charm.

Will it pressure can also?

To small for that Bill from the looks

Will it pressure can also?
based upon what I am reading they are saying NO.. but I have no clue as to why they are saying NO. The instant pot has 11 pounds of pressure on high and you can set the timer as needed. I haven't seen a legitimate reason why you can do it other than the overall size of the cooker.

based upon what I am reading they are saying NO.. but I have no clue as to why they are saying NO. The instant pot has 11 pounds of pressure on high and you can set the timer as needed. I haven't seen a legitimate reason why you can do it other than the overall size of the cooker.
Youtube sure has some videos dedicated to folks doing it, though I can't speak to if wisely / soundly or not as I have yet to can. Might want to search youtube and judge based on what you see / if folks results look and sound legit.

I have one and documentation says no on pressure canning so I bought a pressure canner. Still love the insta pot.

I need to get one of these. I've used a pressure canner a lot. And I've tried cooking meals in it. The challenge with pressure cookers is they are aluminum, so you shouldn't cook the food directly inside the canner. It needs to be in a vessel of some kind. I've used very large canning jars (1 gallon if I remember correctly).

This looks MUCH easier and faster. @trampledbyturtles You can send me yours and I'll let you know how it works :emoji_wink:

John,
You just need a pressure cooker with anodized aluminium in it to be able to also cook with it. The trade-off I've seen is if you only can in quarts you won't be able to do as many at a time.

I need to get one of these. I've used a pressure canner a lot. And I've tried cooking meals in it. The challenge with pressure cookers is they are aluminum, so you shouldn't cook the food directly inside the canner. It needs to be in a vessel of some kind. I've used very large canning jars (1 gallon if I remember correctly).

This looks MUCH easier and faster. @trampledbyturtles You can send me yours and I'll let you know how it works :emoji_wink:

Man my mom cooked a beef roast directly in a pressure cooker every Sunday for years when I was growing up. Best roast I ever had and John, I don’t have any parts glowing in the dark from eating anything directly out of a pressure cooker a !

Man my mom cooked a beef roast directly in a pressure cooker every Sunday for years when I was growing up. Best roast I ever had and John, I don’t have any parts glowing in the dark from eating anything directly out of a pressure cooker a !
You ate a lot of oxidized aluminum! Maybe it's good for you for all I know?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

they make different sizes of the instant pots. I can tell you that I have the 6 qt. I don't know if the 8qt will hold quart jars. I am thinking it will???? I would only buy one with the stainless interior some of the knock offs have teflon interiors.

bizarre stuff.. making pasta. you only add a little water and you don't need to drain the pasta! I made mac and cheese and the only pot I used was the instant pot! I know I said this before. but my hard boiled eggs are perfect everytime. I made deviled eggs and they were picture perfect. I made potato salad and you can dial it to exactly the "al dente" you want on the potatoes. I came up with a concoction of bbq sauce, venison, pork, fresh garlic, dumped a little beer in there, some hot sauce, set the timer and boom it was delicious. bbq venpork sandwiches. I stopped looking at recipes with this thing. I know what tastes good. LOL you really can't go wrong. greatest kitchen appliance for wild game I have ever seen in my life. amazing.

they make different sizes of the instant pots. I can tell you that I have the 6 qt. I don't know if the 8qt will hold quart jars. I am thinking it will???? I would only buy one with the stainless interior some of the knock offs have teflon interiors.

bizarre stuff.. making pasta. you only add a little water and you don't need to drain the pasta! I made mac and cheese and the only pot I used was the instant pot! I know I said this before. but my hard boiled eggs are perfect everytime. I made deviled eggs and they were picture perfect. I made potato salad and you can dial it to exactly the "al dente" you want on the potatoes. I came up with a concoction of bbq sauce, venison, pork, fresh garlic, dumped a little beer in there, some hot sauce, set the timer and boom it was delicious. bbq venpork sandwiches. I stopped looking at recipes with this thing. I know what tastes good. LOL you really can't go wrong. greatest kitchen appliance for wild game I have ever seen in my life. amazing.
I don't need or want another kitchen appliance, but you may have just sold me on this thing :emoji_rage:

Just curious if anyone has taken the plunge like myself on this instant pot craze! I have to say it's pretty cool and I made some Venison last week that was excellent. I made some country ribs and kraut and to think you are cooking this for 15 minutes in this pressure cooker is amazing. They were excellent.
My wife has had one since about Xmas. She loves it.