If you could pick one state to retire in

TT , Wisconsin is the place to be. We need more common sense in rural Wis to offset the craziness spewing from Madison and Milwaukee. Good deer hunting, good people, beautiful landscape in much of the state.
Problem is the crazies in Madison /Milwaukee and the like set issues like property taxes for everyone.

I've always thought I would retire in SD and as I get closer to that day, it seems more and more of a reality. The biggest problem is that land out there has gone up at a faster rate than it has around here. Might not be affordable when the time comes.

If I could pick any state, I would stay here in Iowa. Decent politics. Great governor moved to constitutional carry a few years ago. Great people. Great turkey hunting. The pheasant and quail are making a rebound. And of course the deer hunting is unparalleled. Come on over, TT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I could pick any state, I would stay here in Iowa. Decent politics. Great governor moved to constitutional carry a few years ago. Great people. Great turkey hunting. The pheasant and quail are making a rebound. And of course the deer hunting is unparalleled. Come on over, TT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I might be with you . Iowa Income taxes are dropping, and the hunting is great. When you say great turkey hunting, I can’t emphasize that enough.

It’s the best I’ve seen anywhere, and the pheasants/quail are making a big comeback on my farm now too. I won’t spend summers there, but I’d love to be a resident and get all the appropriate tags!

Plus lower my tax 💴 bill (in half)!!4936153E-96E4-46BA-8394-0AA9282687D0.jpeg7C9E10F0-B662-45EB-AEAE-CA6E74697240.jpeg

Attachments

• 72E3BED0-5183-4199-B382-838D2994561B.jpeg
    72E3BED0-5183-4199-B382-838D2994561B.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 12
I don't expect anyone to put their business out there, but if you are a disabled veteran, Kansas is very close to passing legislation that would exempt you from 60%-100% of your property taxes on your primary residence based on your disability rating. It would exempt you 100% regardless of your rating once you reach 65 years of age. I think our income taxes are very reasonable, the cost of living is pretty low, good deer hunting, and as I mentioned on another post, the taxes on ag land are pennies on the dollar. Come hang out with me. 😊

I hate the political situation and high taxes but to me S.E. Minnesota is paradise. If I was to leave, I would go to either S.W. Wisconsin or N.E. Iowa.
The driftless is unlike any other place in the Midwest, no doubt about that.

I might be with you . Iowa Income taxes are dropping, and the hunting is great. When you say great turkey hunting, I can’t emphasize that enough.

It’s the best I’ve seen anywhere, and the pheasants/quail are making a big comeback on my farm now too. I won’t spend summers there, but I’d love to be a resident and get all the appropriate tags!

Plus lower my tax 💴 bill (in half)!!View attachment 61894View attachment 61895
I got rejected last year for a nonresident turkey tag (which I greatly respect that they limit numbers unlike ky where they want every penny they can get) and just reapplied yesterday. Hoping to head up in April.

It looks like maybe that it did pass but there are income limits and land values that I can’t meet to take advantage of it unless what you’re talking about is different from this.

I hope that one passes

One of my cowaorkers is also a state representative he is up in Topeka as we speak because they are in session. I may text him see what the likely hood of that one passing is.

One of my cowaorkers is also a state representative he is up in Topeka as we speak because they are in session. I may text him see what the likely hood of that one passing is.
I'd be curious. It was first mentioned to me about 6 months ago. We had a lunch with our legislators a few weeks ago and they told us they thought it would pass this session.

I’ll tell you. I would pick Alabama.

Our property taxes are next to nothing. Property tax this year on my 300 acre farm, 1200 dollars.

You’ll get 3 times the house and property you would get in most any other states.

Don’t deal with snow or harsh winters.

Great hunting, fishing, wildlife. You won’t get as many monster bucks as Midwest, but you can deer hunt for 4 months, and not freeze doing it. I have seen 25 different bucks while hunting (not on camera) when I stopped counting a few weeks ago. Florida and hybrid bass ponds and lakes are abundant with routine catching of 6-7lb bass, breem, crappie, catfish. Can fish 12 months a year.

Can golf 10 months a year, many do year round.

We have beaches that are easily accessible. The gulf coast of Mexico is the prettiest sand and water beaches I have found in the continental US. They have pure white powder sand. Many have second house there.

We have mountain areas less than two hours away. Can be to eastern Tennessee and western NC in 5 hours, and many have second house there.

Many major lakes with crystal clear water. Many have second house there.

It’s a conservative state. Zero chance of having liberal state gov for foreseeable future.

Huntsville is fastest growing city with most educated population in the country. Low unemployment throughout the state.

Birmingham has all the activity you would want, without the traffic and crime of major cities (has about a mile area of Crime. If you stay out of that one area of Birmingham your chance of being affected by major crime is basically zero).

Birmingham airport easiest airport of the 50 or so I’ve ever been too. I routinely get there 45 minutes before flight and I’m at the terminal with 35 minutes till flight. Have to connect to Atlanta but 15 minute flight and then can direct to anywhere in the world.

We are 2 hours to Atlanta (biggest airport in the world), 2 hours to Nashville, 4 hours to New Orleans.

Constitutional carry state.

Has hills and rolling topography. Areas of our Forrest are most diverse outside rainforests.

Is that enough?

Last edited:
Stalled in the state senate he said