If you could pick one state to retire in

That's correct - there is nothing interesting in the area. Better find another place......

3hiC429.jpg

Well I meant in terms of travel. I thought it was understood that the main draw is hunting potential. Hunting season is only a brief period each year.

I wouldn’t pick anywhere in that circle. You got to expand out past that for the lower cost of living. In my opinion.

NIRVANA. We all are looking for that one perfect spot! I guess it's possible if you have enough money. I can't seem to find that number.

Here we go. I'm about to make a lot of general assumptions and generalizations are rarely true. You'll have to roll this around to see if what I'm about to offer has any value.
I think I got this right, about your location TT. Upstate NY, right? I hope. I dropped at point at Ithaca. The red circle on the map is a straight-line 425 mile radius. That makes driving distance somewhere between 550 and 675 miles depending on the twists and turns. I'm assuming you might want to be within a "reasonable" drive of family and friends.

You can see what states are in the target, but I'd forget about states and politics. Let's not go there, or make it the final consideration.

Within a state you see counties. The population density is illustrated by color. The counties colored shades of gray to black are what I consider suburban / urban areas - population densities over 150 people per square mile. The darker the gray the higher the population. The greens are lower population density counties. The lighter the green the lower the number of people per square mile. The red counties (no politics here) are the lowest densities to the point where there's nobody there and nothing in the way services you might need (an assertion on my part).

I don't know if I need to go further? As you go one way you gain somethings and lose others.

What comes out of this for me, considering your criteria and spinning it to what I know and think I know (!) -
1. One of the most rural areas on the east coast I learned when I was 12-years old still applies. It's bordered on the south by I-80 and on the north by - I don't know what it's called now - The Southern Tier Expressway? On the west by US 219 (memory fails me), and of the east by US 15. It's cold and lonely there. I spent a year there one month. I love JUN - SEP! And there are spots with great deer hunting - and others not so much.

2. Although I would probably never live in WV (I've looked at land there, to confess) all those southern counties in the state have some appeal. Those two red counties you could probably buy cheap land, but it's nearly vertical.

3. In Ohio, just across the WV border along the Ohio River there are those green counties that are interesting. I've looked at land there. It's the right kind of mixed of land uses great for deer and deer hunting. Its rolling down the west slope of the Appalachians with places flat enough for decent ag production, but doesn't carry prime ag land prices. Still, I think you might be looking at a minimum of $3k per acres. Once you get much west of there it's corn/'bean ground and good luck finding land for less the $5,000 to $7,500 an acre for tillable acreage.

4. The circle hits it's southern tangent in central Virginia. Most everything inside the circle is extremely pricey. There's money and opportunity - and taxes. But if you slide south it's an entirely different world. There are many 150- 180 deer killed just inside and outside that circle in Virginia. We just don't talk about it. A lot of that land is in continuous forest regeneration. I'd guess - just a guess - that 15% of the 'forest' land gets cut every year. Makes for great whitetail habitat.

Good luck!

Watch that map around early December ... and watch the interstates heading south. Anyone there who has any sense or money, has established their primary residence is NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, etc. They have screwed up the northeast and created a tax hell hole. They all head south to states that have no or lower state income tax, where politicians do not extort $$.

As I stated earlier, the only way you will find acceptable politics is to look for low income tax states. They go hand in hand ... :emoji_wink:

Probably too far for you, but Louisiana is the Sportsman's Paradise. If you have the money, you could be setup nice here. World class whitetail and duck hunting are to be had in the right areas. You can saltwater and freshwater fish at the same time. Crawfish, shrimp, oysters, and crabs are plentiful. Food is some of the best on the planet. There's loads of interesting things to do and culture to experience. The prime places are extremely expensive to get into though.

My plan is to retire at my camp for 5 months and 29 days and figure out residence in the south. Right now my pick is Tennessee and wife’s is Florida. NY can go pound before I pay them an extra penny in retirement. 12 years and counting, if Cuomo is still governor I will send him a postcard when I get to where I am going. This State will be bankrupt in 20 years, if not faster.

Probably too far for you, but Louisiana is the Sportsman's Paradise. If you have the money, you could be setup nice here. World class whitetail and duck hunting are to be had in the right areas. You can saltwater and freshwater fish at the same time. Crawfish, shrimp, oysters, and crabs are plentiful. Food is some of the best on the planet. There's loads of interesting things to do and culture to experience. The prime places are extremely expensive to get into though.

Went to the lake Charles area on vacation a fee years ago. Loved it down there. I could see migrating there from the Wisconsin winters come retirement years.

Beautiful area, have spent a lot of time there ... you will have to learn Cajun French if you want the good stuff :emoji_grin:

Where does the next one go? Do you have an A wall and a B wall. How big is that bass.

We have some options with taking down some pictures and other stuff that is taking up precious space. That's actually a Striper (aka Rockfish) and he was a 25 pounder. That size was common in our nearby lake a few years ago, but now most of them are less than 15 pounds.

Last edited:
Beautiful area, have spent a lot of time there ... you will have to learn Cajun French if you want the good stuff :emoji_grin:
Mais yeah! We know how ta pass a good time!

You are creating an Oxymoron there ... nothing like you are wanting will exist north of South carolina or east of Minn/Illinois in the next 10-15 years.

Forget your political wishes, your hunting desires, and your family and friends, there is a reason why folks retire to states with little or no income taxes. As you get older friends/family will change along with their political vies, and you won't be able to afford to own good whitetail hunting land. You won't find good hunting land for $3k an acre.

You won't be able to do anything you want without preserving your retirement investment. Learn to enjoy coastal tropical weather and fishing along with minimal housing standards (no property taxes), you can then hunt anywhere you want in north america for the 1-2 weeks a year.

For 3k an acre I could buy really really good hunting ground not to far from home. Not much return on investment and maybe some tlc but definitely routine chances at deer above 160. As said earlier nothing else on the list matches up for our great state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retirement update:
I was told by the boss Oregon is to cold and I need to rethink my plans

I think it's pretty obvious----MINNESOTA! Good thing i was typing it because there is no way i could keep a straight face saying that. Now, back to reality.

I am from Minnesota, love the lakes, but not the taxes. Deer hunting is average, could be tremendous! I would pick South Dakota for tax reasons and wildlife.

If it was strictly for deer hunting, I would pick Iowa (but would keep my lake place in MN) split time!

I am from Minnesota, love the lakes, but not the taxes. Deer hunting is average, could be tremendous! I would pick South Dakota for tax reasons and wildlife.

If it was strictly for deer hunting, I would pick Iowa (but would keep my lake place in MN) split time!

Primary in Iowa pretty NR dont get automatic tags helps keep the land prices lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no one has mentioned Delaware...

Good weather.
Close to beaches/ocean.
I hear good deer hunting (but they keep it a secret).

I know that they don't have sales tax (like we do in NY).

Not sure about land prices though.

I like where I'm at for hunting, fishing, and cost of living reasons. The coast of TX isn't really all that far away if I wanted salt water. For that matter I've driven to both Oregon and Virginia in less than 2 days each, that isn't bad. Mountains are 1 day drive.

Wife Anne and I chose northern New York. We feel it is the land of pretty. Being retired with minimum income our income tax is low to zero. We do pay lots in property taxes but we have a lot of property and we can cover it so far. We like Lake Ontario and everything that goes with it such as beautiful uncrowded beaches and state parks, excellent fishing for warm and cold water species, good enough hunting, maybe great by some standards, excellent soils and plenty of water for gardening and food plotting, and some of the people here are really great to know. We also enjoy relatively short distance trips to Lake George and the Adirondacks. Winter can get long but we can leave whenever we want when there is a weather break; coming home in the winter is a crap shoot but we have always made it so far. And a day snowmobiling or snowshoeing thru the many managed trails in the area can be a day as close to heaven as anywhere. And we get some really cool lighting for outdoor photography. The picture shown of part of our yard while quite an ordinary non-descript yard becomes quite a spectacular sight when the light is right. So despite a corrupt and out of touch government we are happy to be here.
A14AF43E-E4E6-4567-B268-C680E6D80AF2.jpeg