I shhtt you not!

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I know, I know I am beating a dead horse, preaching to the choir, etcc... but I shhttt you not. Less than 30 miles away there is a flood warning and we may have gotten a 1/2" of rain. It has been that way for a couple of months now. Every storm loses its strength before it gets to us or seemingly splits and goes around us. I do believe there is some truth in that a dry area seems to significantly decrease its chances of precipitation merely because it has been dry there for an extended spell. Has anyone ever witnessed the same? I feel like the same goes for getting precipitation. That those who get the rain, seem to keep getting the rain. I know there are times when I wish it would just stop raining everyday! LOL Currently I need it to rain though! LOL I am not a meteorologist, nor have I slept at a Holiday Express lately, just wondering if there is something to my theory.

flood warning.PNG

We were at .25 when I got home from work tonight. Just a couple miles south got pounded. A guy I know just north of Lawrence had 2 inches as of 7 AM!

Dry begets dry, for sure.

We were abnormally dry all summer. Caught 8.5" in the past 5 wks and 5 tile mains dumping into a box are still bone dry.

It hasn't rained here since the first of September!

We got 2 inches so far in the country and they had 6 in Andover,who needs it worse?

Dang Turkey!
I've seen the pattern many times. Every single storm splits and goes around. Used to call my parents place The Banana Belt because storms would bend like a banana to keep from hitting them.

I have been buying planter parts lately and that has brought me to various areas of Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska. I made it a point to ask each farmer I met if storms seemed to split right as they made it to them. I’ll give you two guesses as to what every single one of them said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is definitely how it always feels maybe BS but it’s how it feels for sure.

Interesting a 30 square mile area in lower Michigan has been bone dry for months on end storms north and south. Yup I totally watch it in disbelief. It wad so bad broadcasted rye would not sprout. Ughh

Been this way for me since July. I’ve literally watched and heard storms go to the north and south at the same time. Finally getting some rain now and for the weekend. Then to cold to even germinate rye…..hopefully it warms up later in the week and the rye is wet.

There is evidence of land management practices having an impact on precipitation, though I'm not clear on what scale it applies to. The information that I read used an area in Western Australia as the example. As conventional grain farming took over the area, annual precipitation decreased. As the Haggerty's, and I assume others, have implemented a more soil health focused model across tens of thousands of acres, they claim that there has been a positive change in precipitation patterns.

We just got 2.5” of rain overnight at the family farm after a VERY dry spell.
That brings our total for the year to about 15” which is less than half of where we usually are. I have watched storm line after storm line miss the farm, splitting right over it, or just barely missing it.

It has been a challenge for sure. Hopefully this turns it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is evidence of land management practices having an impact on precipitation, though I'm not clear on what scale it applies to. The information that I read used an area in Western Australia as the example. As conventional grain farming took over the area, annual precipitation decreased. As the Haggerty's, and I assume others, have implemented a more soil health focused model across tens of thousands of acres, they claim that there has been a positive change in precipitation patterns.
I’m far from an expert but I could see that making sense in a way. Conventional ag practices could deplete the soil and therefore the atmosphere with moisture. In turn that could potentially keep clouds from either forming or being heavy enough to drop rain in a certain area. The converse to that is I have no idea how the science works and everything I said is bs!

Really strange weather. All over.

Have you guys done any reading on the affects of wind farms on weather patterns and soil moisture? I've glanced at some stuff but haven't read too deep.

Have you guys done any reading on the affects of wind farms on weather patterns and soil moisture? I've glanced at some stuff but haven't read too deep.
No but I've been reading a lot about under sea surveying for their construction killing whales. The East coast hasn't had so many dead whales on the beach since 1850 when they were hunted for blubber oil. "Save the Earth, whales be damned!"

No but I've been reading a lot about under sea surveying for their construction killing whales. The East coast hasn't had so many dead whales on the beach since 1850 when they were hunted for blubber oil. "Save the Earth, whales be damned!"
Crazy right?!? Just like the whole promoting of electric vehicles and the side effects of lithium batteries and other materials that are so bad for the earth (not to mention the added load to our grid).

Electric vehicle push is a bad joke

"Save the whales, shoot the seals"
Cheech Marin,Tommy Chong

bill

I had a lease in Central Texas for 18 years, average annual rainfall about 24/25”. Either side of it 20/30 miles it was 30” or more. I’ve seen the road ditches running half full before we got there and nothing once we arrived. It was very frustrating because, although we always had beaucoop deer, the quail crop really depended on how much rain we had. Turkeys were ok during lean years, but really abundant in “wet” years. We never had much for antlers, couldn’t have enough wet years strung together. Basically, three years out of five would be “dry” years, and if two or more were strung together range conditions sucked ! When it was good, it was very good, but when it was bad……