I must be wearing her down

Oh, and we're getting a shipping container to park it in too. :D
Way to go , Jim.

I should have bought a tractor many years ago, but doubt it will ever happen anymore.

It came down to either spending the money and gaining the capabilities to achieve my goals, or possibly never getting them accomplished. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I'm able to firewood with it, I should be able to earn it's keep without too much difficulty.

My atv was also a danger to my health hauling logs weighing well in excess of me and the machine. The tractor will be monumentally safer on my hills, and far better suited to the work involved.

It's an investment in my productivity.

Jim
What size container are you going with? Myself I'm going with a 20'er. I'm not in a real big hurry to get one as I have a rental garage 2 miles from my property. But I still want it before spring as I want the tractor on the property. Congrats again you find all kinds of thing to play with now. You'll also be kept up nights thinking of what to build/buy next for attachments.

Did you get the rear wheel loaded with rim guard? It's the best thing you can do for loader work.

The original owner used it for mowing (there's seeds all over the 3pt), so I doubt it's got fluid in the tires. I'm going to hold off on adding ballast until I see how it handles what I typically do and how much it sinks in my soggy ground this spring. But hey, I have a way to move gravel now! :D I can clean up my muddy, rutted, eroded trails.

I'll probably go with a 20' container as well. I'll be skidding it in behind the tractor on a logging trail, so I too need to do it while the ground is frozen.

Congrats..... You've started down the slippery slope. Enjoy it :)

-John

Thats the exact tractor I was looking at 5 years ago when we were in the market.

I ended up going with a higher hp tractor with 2wd.... Got it for a good price, but today sure wish I had an AWD with less hp/smaller chassis.

Congrats!

Slippery slope, John? I don't have any money to get more farm toys. This is going to cut into my guns and chainsaw acquisition disorder as it is. :p

You'll get over it Jim.

I spent about 2 hours on mine yesterday. Doing a bunch of nothing. But I did clear the snow from where I want to set the storage unit so the ground gets froze.

I've wanted a tractor longer than I've known any of you. It was a tough decision to get my atv instead of a tractor when I got the mortgage for the land - I went with the cheaper of the two being frugal and pragmatic at the time, and I didn't really know a darn thing about tractors then so I would've likely made a poor buying decision. I'm glad I waited for numerous reasons now (the last 3 years were very bumpy financially and physically). I've got so much work for this thing, I almost don't know where to start! :D First order of business will be getting the parking spot for the container cleared as well. I may try to get a load or three of gravel brought in to set it on too.

I was in kind of the same boat. When I bought my property 4 years ago $$ was an issue, so I went the ATV route and it worked but really made the work for me hard. I rented a tractor every year at least once during the summer. Last year I rented 2 times and had a buddy out once with his the same day as I had a rental. I got so much done it was unbelieable. It was then and there I decided it was time to break down and buy a tractor. The wife wasn't real happy about it at first but then I reminder her that she said from the begining that you should have bought a tractor instead of the ATV. Once she saw what the trails started to look like with a tractor and loader she was sold on the idea. My list is also long of things to do. As when I had the rental I did as much as I could in the short time I had it.

Last edited:
Not being able to stack logs has really held me back from getting what I need cut on the ground. I've been so afraid of having the wood rot before I can move it, that I just haven't cut anything that wasn't getting bucked into firewood.

The log arch works great for moving logs around the property, but what do you do with it when that's done? And how do you move it to where the mill will be, and how do you stack big heavy slabs when you've cut them? I was in need of helpers (not always easy to procure), or some kind of equipment - or I was dead in the water. Firewood's a great way to make some spending money, but the real capital conversion comes from turning out high grade lumber. A skidsteer is easier to scoot around on flat ground for material handling, but the tractor will handle more weight and be far more versatile over all (like skidding).

What finally got me over the mental block was when I made the comment to the Mrs. about being able to cover the machine payment with 24 cords of firewood a year - and that 2 cords a month really wasn't very ambitious. :D I have buddies who cut and split that in 2 days between 3 guys. This is a sound investment - that's really what it boiled down to. Then there's the world of tractor accessories it opens up to my fabricating business; I'll be just fine! :)

I'm a big fan of minimal damage/evidence you were ever there. I'm not going to be hauling big turns. Mainly just dragging stuff out to where I can either grapple it or buck/split it up into a trailer to move to storage/drying area.

I'm certainly considering a full cage over the operator station though. I don't need widow makers raining on my head.

Congrats Jim! I saw your recent posts on GTT. I may have a few questions for you down the road.

GTT is an interesting place. If you look back a few years in old threads, everyone and their uncle is giddy about turning up the injection pumps - but now it's almost taboo.

I don't care too much about the emissions ratings. We made it through the industrial revolution and didn't manage to keep plant life from growing and IMO there's too many people on earth anyway. My getting another 10-15 pto HP isn't going to smog California into the ocean any quicker (I might try harder if it would). :D

OK, what is GTT and what is it about?

NICE TRACTOR JIM!!! You should be proud and happy. :)

I know those guys that Started GTT. Kenny D is a pretty sharp guy.....and is full of good info. I kinda consulted with him on a few things. Nice guy.

You won't be short on power for your needs Jim. Just go slow on some of those higher HP mods. You can always do them.

HP is NOT what these small tractors need. Its more about hydraulic capacity and BALLAST. Weight, traction and proper ballast to prevent tipping or improve pulling and loader operation will be your challenge.....much more than brute HP. I ALWAYS spin out before running out of HP. I think most guys that have been around the block, with CUT's, will tell you the same thing.

Small? SMALL?? Have you seen a 5045 in person? It's the size of my truck. :p

I've been a gearhead my whole life. My Tahoe has a Detroit locker in the rear end and rims off a newer truck - it's the most stock vehicle I've ever owned more than 5 days. :D

As I said in the thread; it's more of an academic question at this point. The 45-65's are all virtually identical except under the hood and on the dealer invoice bottom line. I knew the 75 was different, but I wasn't aware it was a whole different rear diff and housing. I was over in Rogers today and saw a 5085e and that thing looked a bunch bigger - the 75's didn't seem that different, but it's been over a year since I saw one up close.

I'm nearly giddy with the purchase. I've never been this excited about any vehicle. Not even my atv, and I was pretty amped with that one. Just thinking about all the stuff I can finally do on the land keeps me awake at night. It's going to be awesome!