I am afraid to ask or start but is anyone trading scions???

Buckvelvet, do you know anything about disease resistance of some of those crabapples? I am very interested in some of your late dropping disease resistant crabapple varieties. I have several different apple varieties I could trade.

• Chestnut Crab - Resistant to cedar apple rust, is rated for FB susceptibility but I've not hear anyone complain of losing one or having a bad breakout on a Chestnut Crab. Grin specifically states 'No disease problems.'.
    PI_588803.JPG

• Homestead Crab - This crab is about 80-100 years old, is about 35% alive at this point, I think most of the dead is from age and FB breakouts, this tree was never cared for at least over the past 35 years.
    homestead_Dan_zpsfsy35s53.jpg

• Wetonka Crab 589622 - Cross with Nevis wild MN crab and Wolf River apple. Wolf River is rated as below so you can take that with an added measure of MN crab hardyness.
    • Canker - Some resistance
    • Scab - Very resistant
    • Mildew - Very resistant
    • Fireblight - Some susceptibility
    • Cedar apple rust - Some resistance
      PI_589622.JPG

• Transcendent Crab 589907 - A variety of Siberian crab, from GRIN 'often severely infested with fire blight' however its a "VERY VIGOROUS' grower as it offsets anything it loses. This is a very well liked and used variety.
    PI_589907.JPG

• Otterson Crab 590178 - Listed as very resistant.
    PI_590178.JPG

• Cowichan Crab 589057 - It is listed as very resistant and very vigorous.
    PI_589057.JPG

• Columbia Crab 588957 - per GRIN "Resistant to collar rot and fire blight; tolerant to apple stem pitting virus"
    PI_588957.JPG

• Dasyealyx Crab 589425 - extremely resistant. The green of this apple makes yours eyes pop, love this unique thing!
    PI_589425.jpg

• Shafer Crab 589465 - A cross of rescue & trail(I assume trailman) GRIN says its resistant to FB.
    PI_589465.JPG

• Trailman Crab 589519 - Quite resistant.
    168s.jpg

Hate to break the Apple streak that's going but does anyone have any hickories hicans pecans or butternut scions?

Thanks, BV, for putting up all the pix and info. A couple of those crabs - I've never heard of them before. Those Dasyealyx crabs look like baby tomatoes. Never saw a Shafer, Otterson, or Cowichan either. Pretty cool varieties.

They all seem to be pretty darn resistant, i think i'm gonna enjoy this. :)

checked my orchard today.

i have a handful of scions of:
golden russet
hewes crab
jonagold
arkansas black
kingston black
ramsdell sweet

also have a few (but not too many)
northern spy
goldrush
redfield
ashmead's kernel
smokehouse
whitney crab
spigold
porter's perfection

i don't have a ton of scionwood (most trees just 2nd leaf) but i'm happy to share what i do have.

i wouldn't mind a black limbertwig is anyone has some extra scion, but otherwise i'm out of room to graft much else. it's probably for the better, i have enough else to do this year!

I may be able to help with the Spitz, I haven't checked my trees for scionwood yet. When I do, I'll let you know. If not this year, should be able to next year no problem.

I should add that my Spitz hasn't produced fruit yet, so I'm only going on the fact Burnt Ridge sold it to me as a Spitz and it was tagged as one.

Are most of you guys trading scions from fruit bearing trees?
Some of mine are bearing and some are not so I can't guarantee the variety but some (like the hewes crab) have a characteristic branching pattern so even though they haven't fruited I think they are what they are suspected to be.

A couple varieties that I shared with folks on here last year I admitted I didn't know what variety they were. I only know their fruit-cropping / hanging characteristics. ( Late-hangers, slow gradual droppers ). The other varieties ( that I shared ) were from Cummins or SLN and hadn't born fruit yet, but I trust the tags on those trees to be what they said they were.

Trees we have gotten fruit on so far are: Goldrush, Dolgo, Centennial, Chestnut, Kerr, Hyslop, All-Winter-Hangover. These are all 4th or 5th leaf this spring.

I've had a few trees over the years that were mislabeled, that's the only reason I asked. Any trees from GRIN I'd feel 100% comfortable with positive ID before they fruited. Other sources, I have less confidence. It's not a huge deal for a deer apple guy to get a mis ID'd tree, but if you are growing them more for people and have limited space - it would suck to graft up a Spitz only to find out in a few years that it is some other apple variety.
Yes I completely agree
Most of mine are from grin so I'm pretty confident in the varieties
"I think they are what I think they are"
: )

I've had a few trees over the years that were mislabeled, that's the only reason I asked. Any trees from GRIN I'd feel 100% comfortable with positive ID before they fruited. Other sources, I have less confidence. It's not a huge deal for a deer apple guy to get a mis ID'd tree, but if you are growing them more for people and have limited space - it would suck to graft up a Spitz only to find out in a few years that it is some other apple variety.

I agree. However what you can do with grafting, really not much time would be lost IMO. I mean once you have an nice 3-4 year old tree that begins to fruit, you could easily graft it over to something else and only loose a couple seasons changing over. I've contemplated doing that with a few varieties and trees I haven't been impressed with.

Heck I even have a few trees in my nursery i've mixed the tags up on. It's annoying when that happens!

I am going to be looking for the following scion.

Black Limbertwig
Liberty (still unsure on my one graft if its liberty or some crazy rootstock growth so close to the graft mark.)
Airport Crab
Winecrisp
Freyburg
Fameuse
Pixiecrunch
Rubenette
Irish peach
Mother
Pudget Spice Crab
Kingston Black
Paulared

Last edited:
Cool looking crab. I need one! Guess i need to put it on my next GRIN order.

• Dasyealyx Crab 589425 - extremely resistant. The green of this apple makes yours eyes pop, love this unique thing!
    PI_589425.jpg

Cool looking crab. I need one! Guess i need to put it on my next GRIN order.

I'll hook ya up when i send the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at Dasyealyx when I was searching for fireblight resistant apples to cross with columnar trees. A native crab, Malus Coronaria or sweet crabapple. I think the only reason I did not get it was because it is a tetraploid (twice the number of chromosomes) vs standard diploid. For some reason, most of the M. Coronaria in the GRIN are tetraploid or triploid. Not that many diploids. There are a number of few late ripening M. Coronaria that are very fireblight resistant. Those would be nice to add to wildlife plantings.

I'll hook ya up when i send the others.

Also interested in any extra of those red flesh :)
Those look great!

I have Liberty, Airport, and Winecrisp which i think are on your need list.

• Chestnut Crab - Resistant to cedar apple rust, is rated for FB susceptibility but I've not hear anyone complain of losing one or having a bad breakout on a Chestnut Crab. Grin specifically states 'No disease problems.'.
    PI_588803.JPG

• Homestead Crab - This crab is about 80-100 years old, is about 35% alive at this point, I think most of the dead is from age and FB breakouts, this tree was never cared for at least over the past 35 years.
    homestead_Dan_zpsfsy35s53.jpg

• Wetonka Crab 589622 - Cross with Nevis wild MN crab and Wolf River apple. Wolf River is rated as below so you can take that with an added measure of MN crab hardyness.
    • Canker - Some resistance
    • Scab - Very resistant
    • Mildew - Very resistant
    • Fireblight - Some susceptibility
    • Cedar apple rust - Some resistance
      PI_589622.JPG

• Transcendent Crab 589907 - A variety of Siberian crab, from GRIN 'often severely infested with fire blight' however its a "VERY VIGOROUS' grower as it offsets anything it loses. This is a very well liked and used variety.
    PI_589907.JPG

• Otterson Crab 590178 - Listed as very resistant.
    PI_590178.JPG

• Cowichan Crab 589057 - It is listed as very resistant and very vigorous.
    PI_589057.JPG

• Columbia Crab 588957 - per GRIN "Resistant to collar rot and fire blight; tolerant to apple stem pitting virus"
    PI_588957.JPG

PI_589425.jpg

• Shafer Crab 589465 - A cross of rescue & trail(I assume trailman) GRIN says its resistant to FB.
    PI_589465.JPG

• Trailman Crab 589519 - Quite resistant.
    168s.jpg
comments..
The experts say Trailman is a cross of trail and osman. Trailman has not shown much CAR as of second leaf. My trail is first leaf. An old timer told me trail has been a very hardy tree in NW Mn.
Chestnut crab has been nearly disease free and tastes great. I have one in 30 leaf or so and several younger ones
Golden Hornet in 2nd leaf has been disease free.
Bill's redflesh (firecracker) has been disease free. Probably 5 th leaf.
I have a rootstock that I believe is columbia crab. It is in about 25th leaf. The apple size is bigger than what grin shows, but the shape is similar. disease free, very firm, inedible to people, a late hanger the deer love.

Lee pointed out the Nevis crab crosses to me several years ago. Nevis is the furthest north Ioensis crab that was found as of some time back in the 1930's. Nevis is a town in northern Mn. and near where I grew up. Wetonka is one of the Nevis crosses. I topworked about 6 of these crosses onto two different flowering crabs. One of these flowering crabs died. However some of the crosses were showing CAR. Somewhere, probably last summer, I had a post on what was showing CAR in my apples.

Don't forget dolgo and dolgo seedlings. Dolgo has been disease free and hardy. Variable drop time in seedlimgs.

I was pheasant hunting on Jan. 1 and walked by this dolgo seedling that was planted in 2011. I was considering topworking it and had largely ignored it. It held a handful of crabs that were tucked away in the top of the tree and that were bigger than my grafted dolgo. It needs some pruning and will probably be a great deer apple as is.

20170101_145001 2.jpg

Buy some dolgo seedlings or if you are young, pick a hardy disease free crab and grow seedlings. You will get many good deer apples.

Forget Morses bunches crabs for deer. Most of them have what I call bird crabs although deer will use them a bit. Dolgo seedlings are a better choice and tend to be hardier.

20170101_150916 2.jpg

Bandit is looking at one of my group exclosures of wild crab apple seedlings. One of those is about Kerr sized and has pink flesh. I have three exclosures of crab apple seedlings.

Bur - I never heard or read of Dolgo ( seedlings ) having different drop times or fruit size. That's a good thing to know. Where does one buy Dolgo seedlings ?? I haven't seen them advertised at Cummins, ACN, or SLN. Do you buy Dolgo rootstock and just grow them, or are there Dolgo seedlings that are 3 to 5 ft. tall available ?? ( for time saving )

That Dolgo in your pic looks like a heck-uva tree as it stands. Thanks for the pix.

The dolgo rootstock that you can buy are seedlings. Occasionally our SWCD can find them as 1-2 foot trees. A nursery in Wis. has a few. Maybe Chief nursery.

Dolgo grow fast for me. I have not found larger seedlings, but protect them and they will grow.

comments..
The experts say Trailman is a cross of trail and osman. Trailman has not shown much CAR as of second leaf. My trail is first leaf. An old timer told me trail has been a very hardy tree in NW Mn.
Chestnut crab has been nearly disease free and tastes great. I have one in 30 leaf or so and several younger ones
Golden Hornet in 2nd leaf has been disease free.
Bill's redflesh (firecracker) has been disease free. Probably 5 th leaf.
I have a rootstock that I believe is columbia crab. It is in about 25th leaf. The apple size is bigger than what grin shows, but the shape is similar. disease free, very firm, inedible to people, a late hanger the deer love.

Lee pointed out the Nevis crab crosses to me several years ago. Nevis is the furthest north Ioensis crab that was found as of some time back in the 1930's. Nevis is a town in northern Mn. and near where I grew up. Wetonka is one of the Nevis crosses. I topworked about 6 of these crosses onto two different flowering crabs. One of these flowering crabs died. However some of the crosses were showing CAR. Somewhere, probably last summer, I had a post on what was showing CAR in my apples.

Don't forget dolgo and dolgo seedlings. Dolgo has been disease free and hardy. Variable drop time in seedlimgs.

Art whats the size of these 'firecracker' crabs, any pics?