Hybrid Willows: What am I Doing Wrong?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Last year planted 25 hybrid willow cuttings and followed the instructions that were given and I believe 3 survived. I tried another 25 this year from a different seller and followed that sellers instructions and it appears they are all dead. The first seller suggested soaking it water until roots began to form and then sticking them in the ground. The second seller said to plant as soon as you got them in well tilled soil. Thanks for the help.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways and successful both ways. I see nothing wrong in your description of what you did.

When I planted the ones that shot roots already, I was pushing into very wet ground so the roots probably didn't get damaged. Otherwise I use a Fiskars indestructible spade(I only mention this specifically to as it has a 17" or so blade so it makes a long slit in the ground to get the cutting as far down as I need it to go) and make a slit and stuff cutting into the opening and stomp dirt around it. I do the same with cuttings I just put into the ground shortly after cutting it from tree.

Never have put into tilled soil but don't see why that would be a negative.

Did they at least grow the first season?

How long are your cuttings? 12 -16"

How much did you let stick out of the ground? 2" or less for me

Full sun or close to it?

Plenty of precip after planting for the first growing season?

Control weeds competition the first year?

These are just thinking out loud questions/ideas. It still isn't too late to plant cuttings as long as one can do the things above.

I've had varying result with cuttings and for the most part the results were poor. Hybrid willows should be the easiest to start. have found that ground needs to be prepped so that they get sun and soil stays moist. Important that there is good soil contact.

Have you tried dipping them in rooting hormone?

I've done it both ways and successful both ways. I see nothing wrong in your description of what you did.

When I planted the ones that shot roots already, I was pushing into very wet ground so the roots probably didn't get damaged. Otherwise I use a Fiskars indestructible spade(I only mention this specifically to as it has a 17" or so blade so it makes a long slit in the ground to get the cutting as far down as I need it to go) and make a slit and stuff cutting into the opening and stomp dirt around it. I do the same with cuttings I just put into the ground shortly after cutting it from tree.

Never have put into tilled soil but don't see why that would be a negative.

Did they at least grow the first season?

How long are your cuttings? 12 -16"

How much did you let stick out of the ground? 2" or less for me

Full sun or close to it?

Plenty of precip after planting for the first growing season?

Control weeds competition the first year?

These are just thinking out loud questions/ideas. It still isn't too late to plant cuttings as long as one can do the things above.

The cuttings were approximately 12-16” and I would say I left half in the ground and half out of the ground, maybe that was my issue?

VV

I've had varying result with cuttings and for the most part the results were poor. Hybrid willows should be the easiest to start. have found that ground needs to be prepped so that they get sun and soil stays moist. Important that there is good soil contact.

Have you tried dipping them in rooting hormone?

No, I didn’t try the dip. If I try them again, which is unlikely considering my results, I may give that a try.

VV

The cuttings were approximately 12-16” and I would say I left half in the ground and half out of the ground, maybe that was my issue?
VV

That would be part of the problem as you only want 1-2 top buds or about 1"-2" above ground so that all the lower buds are in the soil. This allows all the lower buds to start as roots extensions into the soil. You only need 1 bud above ground so this limits energy to producing 1 main top stem with the rest of the buds drawing nutrients & moisture. To make sure you get the cutting deep enough, I buy a long phillips head screw driver to start a hole.

Last edited:
VV

That would be part of the problem as you only want 1-2 top buds or about 1"-2" above ground so that all the lower buds are in the soil. This allows all the lower buds to start as roots extensions into the soil. You only need 1 bud above ground so this limits energy to producing 1 main top stem with the rest of the buds drawing nutrients & moisture. To make sure you get the cutting deep enough, I buy a long phillips head screw driver to start a hole.

I think you found my problem. Thanks, it was driving me nuts.

VV

I don’t disagree with anything Tree Spud said it’s great advice. But sometimes these things just have a mind of there own. Here is a 18” Streamco Willow cutting pushed in the ground maybe 3-6”. I hit a rock and hand planted too many to care. No rooting hormone. You do have an alarming number of cutting failures though. DF415866-F9D6-42AC-8FD2-650DB5D9151C.jpeg

E173582A-5346-407C-841A-FA29B1BC4825.jpeg8A50D813-BC71-426D-8C2F-B24B890351E5.jpegD21FFA60-34C1-4B34-BE4F-48BBFA3893C0.jpeg
First time planting hybrid willows for me. No rooting hormone. 37 of the 38 cuttings have sprouted. I don’t have them protected like I should. These were 12” cuttings.

The example of Rit's sticking out of the ground is what they should look like as far as depth in the ground. Good pics rit

View attachment 29611View attachment 29612View attachment 29613
First time planting hybrid willows for me. No rooting hormone. 37 of the 38 cuttings have sprouted. I don’t have them protected like I should. These were 12” cuttings.

Mine are tiny in diameter compared to those. Most were smaller than a pencil. Could that have been an issue as well?

VV

Mine are tiny in diameter compared to those. Most were smaller than a pencil. Could that have been an issue as well?

VV

That has not been my experience the smaller diameter cuttings grow just as well.

Agree with rit and tree spud.
I’ve grown a lot of willows from cuttings.
weed competition and adequate soil moisture are critical. Must use some type of weed mat. And it’s just as critical to have only 1-2 buds above ground.
I’ve never used rooting hormone and my success rate is very good. I use a 1/2” steel rod (modified fire poker with the hook cut off) to break ground, then drop the cuttings in.
And just like in life (ha!) I find that the size is not critical. It’s all about the prep work and post-planting care.

4a220c03c3c42262c3913da321530946.jpg

c154ad6ca83de1890a0feb278df52dcb.jpg

Planted this from a cutting in 2014. I have babied it for sure but man, this thing grew like a weed!!!

I do the same as some of the others have stated and have had pretty good results planting silky dogwood and ROD.
I plant as early as I can in the season when ground is soft to down right wet.
I use cuttings that are 12”-16”
I make a deep hole with an electric fence post
I dip bottom end of wet cutting into root hormone powder from Walmart
I push cutting into hole until 2”-3” is left above ground with a couple of buds
I tamp next to it with my foot to seal up any air pockets.
Then I forget about them, I don’t do the weed control or any TLC after that, just plant and move on.
The biggest issue I have had is deer browsing but if roots are established they keep throwing new shoots. I feel the grass/weeds helps hide them some from the deer until they are big enough and tough enough to stay ahead of any browsing issues.

I have been cutting from my own shrubs and planting high volume so I don’t have a big investment in them.

The other thing I did not mention was to soak the cuttings in water about 30 minutes before planting.

VV

I know when John owned Big Rock (the guy who started this site), he would not ship something smaller in diameter than a pencil.

The other thing I did not mention was to soak the cuttings in water about 30 minutes before planting.
I soak mine in water also but usually for about 2 days.