side benefit of using hybrid willows and poplars in screen

I take it John doesn’t sell them anymore? I was actually looking for some myself.

No not John but the company still exists. Bigrocktrees.com is still there but the number of diferent species seemed to have gone down.

Everything said about hybrids so far is true. I might have slanted towards @Bill on my favorite since we last discussed which is better. I have come to like how hybrid willows have multiple central leaders over poplars. they both have their place though. I have hybrids I planted when I first discovered them that could hold a ladder stand now. That could be useful too.

Another option to hinging them is to let them grow a season or two and literally just bend them over (tie them to the tree next to them). They will freak out and grow 100 central leaders. Mostly within a deers reach.

It's true I don't sell them anymore. The new owner cut the selection down to what really sold and what people wanted. You won't go wrong with any of the trees he is offering. The interesting one he is selling is Silky Willow. For some reason the deer would NOT touch them on my farm. It would be interesting to see if they leave them alone on others farms as well (kind of like the brassica debate we often have):

http://www.bigrocktrees.com/Silky-Willow-NRCS_p_224.html

-John

Another option to hinging them is to let them grow a season or two and literally just bend them over (tie them to the tree next to them). They will freak out and grow 100 central leaders. Mostly within a deers reach.

that's a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Deer really like to browse hybrid willows? I have a whole row of them in town. I should go get some cuttings!

Deer really like to browse hybrid willows? I have a whole row of them in town. I should go get some cuttings!

Depending on your perspective that is a great thing or a terrible thing. Either way, once they are established the deer can't kill them. Prune them, yes.

-John

Depending on your perspective that is a great thing or a terrible thing. Either way, once they are established the deer can't kill them. Prune them, yes.

-John
Terrible? How?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Terrible? How?

If you are trying to grow a screen and they keep eating it.

-John
Ohhhh. I was completely thinking of nutritional value. Right over my head. Lol.

If you are trying to grow a screen and they keep eating it.
That has been my experience, I just kept shoving more cuttings in the ground, eventually I had to fence the areas I really wanted to take off with willows.

Finding that is the same on my place. Put in a 150 ft screen this spring. Grew great but last I checked the deer ate em back to ground level. Plan is to put up snow fence around them for the next 2 years to help them get up an out of reach.

Sounds great. I'll order some. I have an awful neighbor, so the willows can play double duty as a living fence and food for deer. Sounds like they're a good candidate for coppicing as well.

Quick question, are they anything but sticks and twigs in the winter? Do they provide any block at all?

Quick question, are they anything but sticks and twigs in the winter? Do they provide any block at all?

Not much winter block. I have a double row on three foot spacing. No way you could shove a bullet through it, but you can see through it.

The silky willows interest me, I have a wet spot along the road I've been trying to get stuff to grow on for partial road screen it's just too wet for white pines to thrive. After reading into them they might work for that spot just right and it says they are good for bee's too.

The silky willows interest me, I have a wet spot along the road I've been trying to get stuff to grow on for partial road screen it's just too wet for white pines to thrive. After reading into them they might work for that spot just right and it says they are good for bee's too.
I'm interested in how this goes.

I have a spot where we have some erosion/water run off issues on a field. Can't grow anything on that hillside as its constantly a muck. I also happen to hunt deer in that back corner of the field, so it may be a win win

Ordered 25 hybrid willows from Amazon to give them a try.

VV

Got them in a few days ago and they are soaking as instructed. Looks like they are rooting and sprouting leaves and will do my best to get them in the ground this weekend.

Got them in a few days ago and they are soaking as instructed. Looks like they are rooting and sprouting leaves and will do my best to get them in the ground this weekend.

I just recently received a PM stating the same thing. “They are soaking in water per the instructions”

I don’t know what company is giving these instructions but it’s a terrible idea....
If you soak them in water they will sprout roots in a few days and you’re forced to dig a hole to plant them. That completely kills the ease of planting cuttings. Just poke them in the ground with weed and browse protection and you’re done.

If you soak them in water they will sprout roots in a few days and you’re forced to dig a hole to plant them.
I had a bunch of hybrid poplar that I soaked until I saw white nodes starting and then took a fiskars unbreakable tile spade and knifed a slit and then slid the cutting into and stomped it shut. They all blew out of the ground and made trees. I got some willow and poplar soaking right now and will do the same as soon as they look ready to go.

You are correct though Bill that it would probably ruin the cutting if they were just shoved into the ground.

When you're cutting your own off and established tree, where are you cutting them from and about what diameter?

Im going to stop at a neighbors and ask if I can prune the hybrids in their shelterbelt, I just want to know exactly what to take??

Thanks