All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

The thread on hinging saws has got me thinking on the next step up. Right now I've got a Stihl 170 miniboss with a 14 inch bar. For the next step up I was thinking a Stihl 281 or 381. I absolutely feel that the 170 is enough for all trees that I need to cut, but on the larger trees it is definitely easier with a larger saw. This being said, the 170 would be my main saw, say 70% of my cuts, and the larger saw would be more or felling larger trees let's say 30% of my cuts.

First of all, no way I'm dropping much over $500 on a saw, and I'd really like to spend under that. Because of this, new is out of the question. So in searching for used saws, it seems like I can find a lot more husqvarnas in that price range than stihls, although I can find a fair amount of stihls. For the amount of use I need, is husqvarna a reasonable saw? Like I said, I wouldn't be using it for the majority of my cuts, but I want to make sure I can get a saw that will last, and will be able to be repaired easily should anything happen.

Thoughts?

I don't know about Husqvarna's saws but I've seen a lot of issues with their mowers. I would say if there are a lot of used ones for sale either: you are in Husqvarna country and there are a lot more around, or people have issues with them and sell them soon after getting one.

I can attest to Stihl being a decent saw. I've abused mine for a long time and it keeps on going.

I love the stihl, I'm just hesitant to think that $150 more is worth it on a used saw. I'm definately trying to get another stihl, but it's gotta be at the right price. I found a few for $350 without a bar, which seems to me like a pretty good deal, as long as they run.

I've had a small Husqvarna for 22 years without a major issue and my son recently bought a Stihl 180. Both good saws.

Are you looking for a Pro Series saw, or one that will do an average amount of cutting? The one in the link is a high dollar "Pro Series" saw and not a bad deal for what it is, given the fact you hear it run and it is good. You may not need a "professional logging" saw for the limited number of cuts you will be making? Stihl has a few "price points" in it's saw lineups, the 170's and 180's are "homeowners" saws, not industrial logging saws like the 261C in the link. Just make sure of your "needs" before you buy something that may be overkill for your needs and wallet. Even the smallest Pro Series saw(241C) retails for over $500 new. Just some food for thought.

You got one Stihl already. Why would you want anything different. Yes you'll pay more but your going to be getting a lot better saw IMO.

Are you looking for a Pro Series saw, or one that will do an average amount of cutting? The one in the link is a high dollar "Pro Series" saw and not a bad deal for what it is, given the fact you hear it run and it is good. You may not need a "professional logging" saw for the limited number of cuts you will be making? Stihl has a few "price points" in it's saw lineups, the 170's and 180's are "homeowners" saws, not industrial logging saws like the 261C in the link. Just make sure of your "needs" before you buy something that may be overkill for your needs and wallet. Even the smallest Pro Series saw(241C) retails for over $500 new. Just some food for thought.

Beat me to it. Unless you are cutting everyday of the year I would go with a reg grade Shihl saw instead of a Husky any day of the week.

I have a reg MS250 and have beat that thing to hell for the last 12 years and it still runs great. Sure I've replace the bar a couple of times but it has been one heck of a saw.

I was thinking just above homeowner. But I'm not really sure. To be honest I don't know a whole lot about saws, as I've grown up in the city. I plan on using the saw a fair amount, but it won't be my workhorse, which will be the 170. Seeing as the 170 is considered a homeowner saw, I think I'd be fine with a a homeowner type. My only concern is power. I see the 211, which is a homeowner, is listed at 1.7 bhp with 32 cc engine, while the 231, which is a "landowner" is 2.0 bhp with a 42 cc engine. Is this a big enough difference to justify the price jump? The 170 is a 1.3 bhp, so I'd only be getting .4 bhp more with the 211, but .6 with the 231. Is this a big enough jump to even get one of these?

I bought a MS 261 and it will handle anything I throw at it.

Beat me to it. Unless you are cutting everyday of the year I would go with a reg grade Shihl saw instead of a Husky any day of the week.

I have a reg MS250 and have beat that thing to hell for the last 12 years and it still runs great. Sure I've replace the bar a couple of times but it has been one heck of a saw.

This seem about right, assuming it works?
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/4932677937.html

I am no expert on the used saw market to be honest so I would have to defer to someone else but the price looks about right I would think. I would be curious how the 250 would cut with a 18" bar on it. Would it be low on power? I don't know. I have the 16" bar it has the right amount of power for that bar. Either way, you could always get a 16" bar for it if you didn't like it with an 18" if you felt a 16" was big enough. If not, I would try and search for some info online for someone that has used one with an 18" bar before buying.

I am no expert on the used saw market to be honest so I would have to defer to someone else but the price looks about right I would think. I would be curious how the 250 would cut with a 18" bar on it. Would it be low on power? I don't know. I have the 16" bar it has the right amount of power for that bar. Either way, you could always get a 16" bar for it if you didn't like it with an 18".

I was wondering about the 18 inch bar as well. All of the others I had seen were with 16's.

I was wondering about the 18 inch bar as well. All of the others I had seen were with 16's.

What size bar do you need? Is 16" big enough for you?

You tipping stuff over or cutting it for sale? I would prefer a 12 inch bar that is inadequate for 1% of the trees I cut over an 18 that is overkill for 99%. You have to carry them all over the place and use them all day long.

16" would be big enough. I love my 170, but I think it's a bit hard on the saw to do the bigger stuff (14+ inches). I do it, but long term I'm sure it isn't the best for it. I cut a 20+ inch pine last summer with the 170, it just took a really long time. That's about the biggest tree I've cut, but 15 inches isn't out of the question.

Can't attest to used saws but I bought a new Stihl MS391 last fall and can definitely say Stihl would be my direction of choice.

16" would be big enough. I love my 170, but I think it's a bit hard on the saw to do the bigger stuff (14+ inches). I do it, but long term I'm sure it isn't the best for it. I cut a 20+ inch pine last summer with the 170, it just took a really long time. That's about the biggest tree I've cut, but 15 inches isn't out of the question.

Well if you find a good deal on a used saw but it turns out you don't like the size bar that it comes with you can always change it. My gut tells me the 250 would be a little under powered for a 18" bar. Could be wrong for sure.

Husky's are great saws and don't let anyone tell you different. Only problem I've seen is all the new Eco-friendly crap but replacing that stuff will give a great powerful saw. Whatever you buy the most important thing is to learn how to use it properly and how to maintain it. For example Husky's aren't a one pull start, you need to decompress and choke until fire then it is one pull. Mine always takes 3 total pulls because that is how they designed it. Also there's a lot more to maintenance then keeping a sharp chain so read up on it if you haven't already because a lot of guys get pissed at the saw when really they're the one to blame.