Hunting with higher temps

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Jeff I'm going to sit morning only to try and catch the mature buck on his way back to bed. I don't plan on shooting any does so I figure I would go big right away to maybe get lucky. If I don't see him then I will stay out of there until later.
I think the weekends temp will not hinder movement, but if you haven't been seeing that buck in daylight I wouldn't expect him to show up in the evening during shooting light.

When it's hot.....I stay home, and I live on the property I hunt. I won't start hunting until around Halloween on my place, unless a dandy cold front is coming thru or I have a hot food source pegged.

I started doing this a few years ago and my hunting improved even though I actually hunted less. I figured I was simply educating deer more than anything else and that is bad news. I will go out next weekend for the youth season with my daughter and won't be back out until almost November. Less all my girls "sync" again.....then I'm going hunting!!!!!!

If its hot I'm not hunting unless I'm just dying to get into the tree. And then I am sitting in a "just for fun" stand.

I was just at one of the farms and watched 2 deer get up out of some cover, walk over to a water hole to drink and walk back. That was at 11am. I would be hunting between water and acorns right now....and I am!

40's for lows on Saturday night in Central WI. Plenty cool for a Saturday evening hunt and hanging deer overnight.

A Sunday morning hunt might be even better. ^^^

^^^^^^^ If I don't smack something Sat afternoon I'll be out there Sunday morning too. ^^^^^^^

Supposed to be 47 here Saturday night, but that probably won't be until 3 or 4 a.m. Not sure I'm comfortable with letting one hang when its in the 50's for most of the night.

It will be fine! Especially if you got the guts out and the chest cavity opened up. People leave their deer lay overnight in the 50's with the guts in its still good come morning. Just get it cut up and cooled down early in the morning. I usually throw a frozen gallon milk jug in the chest cavity for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be out for certain. Once duck season opens, then we are doing that too. So time on stand is a premium, and we go out any time possible.

Friday eve be your best bet. Good temp drop. No license required. Saturday I plan on going fishing as the I have no pictures that say go hunting, and aint no front coming to make me think that will change.

If it was me I wait on the only oak flat stand I have until a good cold front blows through.

I've sweated out too many early season days with no movement. I'm holding out for cooler weather.

I plan on sitting this afternoon/evening. If I get lucky I'll hang and pack 3 or 4 bag of ice in the chest cavity overnight. Then depending on the temp Saturday, debone and put it in the garage fridge for a week before cut and wrap, if cool enough I'll wait til Sunday to debone. If I wait for cooler weather the Amish army gets them.

I won't be bowhunting until late October unless I am on an observation stand.
Partridge hunting will be coming first.

What am I missing? 80 degrees yesterday with a high of 68 tomorrow for opener along with a prime moon phase for evening movement. Get out there if you have a good early season ambush, evening hunts only. I'm heading to MO tomorrow morning with high expectations.

Story: I called off an early season hunt in Missouri in 2011 because it was going to be "too hot". It was a prime moon phase time just like this weekend. Bad idea! Over the course of the 3 days we would have been hunting the 3 older bucks on the farm showed up on our staging plot within bow range of the stand my wife would have been in. I'm still catching shiite about that decision........

What am I missing? 80 degrees yesterday with a high of 68 tomorrow for opener along with a prime moon phase for evening movement. Get out there if you have a good early season ambush, evening hunts only. I'm heading to MO tomorrow morning with high expectations.

Story: I called off an early season hunt in Missouri in 2011 because it was going to be "too hot". It was a prime moon phase time just like this weekend. Bad idea! Over the course of the 3 days we would have been hunting the 3 older bucks on the farm showed up on our staging plot within bow range of the stand my wife would have been in. I'm still catching shiite about that decision........

I know of a bunch of guys hunting Missouri right now. Very little plot sightings right now because of the acorns.

I know of a bunch of guys hunting Missouri right now. Very little plot sightings right now because of the acorns.

That is a concern. This is the first year in 4 that we've had acorns on our newer place. I do have a small plot on a ridge surrounded by oaks, that might be my best chance.

I won't be bowhunting until late October unless I am on an observation stand.
Partridge hunting will be coming first.

I am thinking I might not deer hunt until Nov 1, try to get in a full week before firearms opener. I also want to get in more grouse hunting this year. Probably going to do a weekend where we hunt at our place on a Saturday and then hunt up on the iron range on Sunday. Sounds like numbers should be pretty good this year.

I will be out Saturday morning. Cool enough at 45-50 degrees. Don't really want to clean a deer, but if a doe gives me a gimmee I would probably take her down. Metro area. Don't know if I will make it out the rest of the weekend. Have to hit October Fest in Stillwater with the gf on Saturday night. Which reduces Sunday morning chances. Definitely don't want to clean a deer on Sunday night, so that is out.

Get out and hunt Jeff.
How disappointed will you be if you check cameras and find your buck was out and about in the daylight while you were at home waiting for cooler weather. ;)

This is far from too hot. 47 degrees and clear skies as the sun pops up tomorrow. Sounds like a great morning to be in a stand to me.