EHD Missouri

5 year old buck +
EHD has been a big topic given some of the major kills in Iowa. Here in Missouri, we had a higher than average kill rate, but nothing like 2012. Here is the latest EHD map for 2023. On a mid-Missouri mentored hunt one team had a buck die in front of the blind. While the actual numbers are higher, I personally did not see any kills this year, unlike 2012 when I saw several.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16
Never saw or heard of any this year. I didn't check my water but the neighbor checked his and found none.

I learned during our coop meeting last night that an immediate neighbor found a doe in the creek--but it was pretty far gone due to coyotes so it is possible it might have died of another cause. What was different this year was the number of late EHD deaths after the early freeze. The warm period in November allowed the midges to return.

If we ever find any bucks that died from EHD, it is almost always in the late winter or early spring while shed hunting. For obvious reasons we try to stay out of a lot of the areas where they end up expiring. This year is probably going to be a little more difficult to confirm EHD because of the late outbreak.

This is still good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 356
Zero reported in Mercer but one of my buddies was so demoralized during his bowhunt he didn’t gun hunt. He has two farms 15 miles apart and both were void of deer.

Seems to me there should be some kind of environmental tweek a guy could do to make that mud inhospitable to those midges. Line those puddles in sand so the midges can't reach the mud?

Or even a 6" layer of ag lime? If this works, I don't want any of the youtube heroes claiming they came up with this idea. Drain them holes, cover the mud, and fill it back up?

Or even a blow on a half inch of diatomaceous earth around the permitter. I’d think that would stop those bugs dead in their tracks.

The Fort Collins boys might be pissed off if we solve this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk