Hunting Show Suspended Over Poaching Charges

SD51555

5 year old buck +
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-09-16-03-29-23

Cable channel suspends hunting show amid poaching charges

By MARK THIESSEN
Associated Press

AP Photo/Mark Thiessen
blank.gif

Buy AP Photo Reprints
spacer.gif

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- A cable television network suspended a hunting show after the program's host and nine others involved in the production were charged in a federal poaching investigation at a national preserve in remote northwest Alaska.

The Sportsman Channel on Tuesday immediately suspended "The Syndicate" from airing on the network and launched its own internal investigation, said Jim Liberatore, CEO and president of Outdoor Sportsman Group Networks.

"We take this situation very seriously and have acted swiftly to suspend the show, its producers and talent," Liberatore said in a statement. "If true, what has been alleged is clearly unacceptable, unethical and against everything our networks stand for."

Prosecutors on Monday said more than two dozen grizzly bears, moose, caribou and Dall sheep were illegally killed in the Noatak National Preserve, which is north of the Arctic Circle and near Alaska's northwestern coast. The illegal kills ended up on the show, authorities alleged.

There were at least four hunts conducted in Alaska for the show over the last five years. Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Skrocki, the lead prosecutor, said at a news conference Monday that all the Alaska hunts for the show were conducted illegally but were edited to appear that they were legal.

The show's host, Clark W. Dixon, 41, of Hazlehurst, Mississippi, was charged in U.S. District Court in Fairbanks with two felony violations of the Lacey Act.

Dixon is accused of taking a grizzly bear for a fee in 2010 without being a licensed and registered big game hunting guide. He's also charged with conducting an illegal outfitting operation since 2009.

Dixon didn't return a message left by The Associated Press on Monday, and the phone at his home in Mississippi rang unanswered Tuesday.

Nine other people, who are from Alaska, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and Nevada, and two production companies face related misdemeanors or tickets.

"The Syndicate" is independently produced and purchases air time on the Sportsman Channel, Liberatore said.

One of the production companies cited for using footage shot in the preserve without a permit called the network's decision to suspend the show "unfortunate." However, the statement from Syndicate Hunting of Reno, Nevada, adds: "While disheartened, we respect their decision to do so."

It also says once it became aware of the allegations, it severed ties with Dixon and another person charged. It was unclear when the company found out about the investigation and when ties were cut.

"The Syndicate" is independently produced and purchases air time on the Sportsman Channel"

And you wonder why they all sound like infomercials...

I think Steve shared some of the inside baseball with us on how that all works these days. It wouldn't be my first choice of a way to make a living. Same reason I've never considered being a fishing guide.

I have a buddy that has one of the those shows. He spends most of his free time trying to find sponors to buy his way onto t.v. channels. Once he asked if I wanted to be the official taxidermist for his show, I said you bet, then he said it would only cost me $5k a year! Needless to say I am not the official taxidermist for his show! Friendship only gets you so far in the t.v world.

"The Syndicate" is independently produced and purchases air time on the Sportsman Channel"

And you wonder why they all sound like infomercials...

That is all those shows work. You have to pay the channel to air your show. It isn't on the air because your show is good. It is because you handed over green. Of course the 3am timeslot is cheaper than the 8pm one.

It's a business. It's about money. Some folks will do whatever it takes to get in, hang on or to get ahead. Happens every day in the business world.

Money can make some folks do some weird things.

It isn't on the air because your show is good. It is because you handed over green.

In 100% fairness, there have gotten to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many hunting shows trying to buy airtime now that a couple of the channels are starting to be a bit more selective on whose $$$$$$ they will and won't take. For example, Sportsmans and Outdoor will both likely weed out some of the worst of their lots this year, trying to upgrade their programming (don't know if it's true, but also heard that the Outdoor Channel is in the process of shifting to outdoor "reality TV" programming and moving their most popular hunting shows to Sportsmans, as the same company owns both channels now). I know NBCSports is cutting back on the number of hunting shows they'll allow in primetime next year, slicing them down to 2-3 (found that out hen the big boss at D&DH gave me a pat on the back for D&DH TV being one of them and their highest rated hunting show).

You can still get pure amateur hour stuff on Pursuit and some of the other low end channels, but the stupid high number of hunting shows is starting to force some of the worst out.

Just splitting hairs with that. Your take is nuts on accurate.

I honestly do not think it is all about the money with half of these shows. Some of these D-Bags just want to see their mug on TV.....period!

I honestly do not think it is all about the money with half of these shows. Some of these D-Bags just want to see their mug on TV.....period!

It's amazing. Somewhere well over 1/2 the people you see on TV aren't paid a cent. Getting people to film hunts for free, buying their own equipment, covering all their own expenses, often even having to buy the show sponsors' products (often at cost, but still)...People that are flat out fighting to be able to do that are all over....For whoever is producing the show (which is sometimes the host), it's all about trying to get enough $$$$$$$$ to survive. For somewhere over 1/2 on TV, it's all about just "seeing their muds on TV." To put in perspective, of the 12ish shows that have offered me hosting gigs over the years, 8 of them would have been unpaid. I declined, for all sorts of reasons, but doing it for free was one of the deal breakers. Before D&DH TV, the rest of the paid ones just weren't a good fit for me at all.

It's amazing. Somewhere well over 1/2 the people you see on TV aren't paid a cent. Getting people to film hunts for free, buying their own equipment, covering all their own expenses, often even having to buy the show sponsors' products (often at cost, but still)...People that are flat out fighting to be able to do that are all over....For whoever is producing the show (which is sometimes the host), it's all about trying to get enough $$$$$$$$ to survive. For somewhere over 1/2 on TV, it's all about just "seeing their muds on TV." To put in perspective, of the 12ish shows that have offered me hosting gigs over the years, 8 of them would have been unpaid. I declined, for all sorts of reasons, but doing it for free was one of the deal breakers. Before D&DH TV, the rest of the paid ones just weren't a good fit for me at all.

Pretty funny if you ask me!

Pretty funny if you ask me!

I lot of guys out there think all they have to do is get a kill or two on TV and they'll be the next Lee. A surprisingly increasing number of pretty girls have figured out that it's a 32459346593245689345698324650934 times easier to TV on hunting shows than it ever would be on traditional TV. All they need is to get themselves on a show and the doors will open up. It actually works pretty well for the pretty girls, but the guys almost never make it work as they hoped...MAYBE 0.5% of the guys that start for free ever see a cent. I fear that may be too high.

I lot of guys out there think all they have to do is get a kill or two on TV and they'll be the next Lee. A surprisingly increasing number of pretty girls have figured out that it's a 32459346593245689345698324650934 times easier to TV on hunting shows than it ever would be on traditional TV. All they need is to get themselves on a show and the doors will open up. It actually works pretty well for the pretty girls, but the guys almost never make it work as they hoped...MAYBE 0.5% of the guys that start for free ever see a cent. I fear that may be too high.

Now that's really Funny! Hahahahahahahaha!

Steve you may find this funny, maybe not, but I found it funny. About a month ago, one of my customers ask me if I wanted to trade a tv filmed hunt at my place in Missouri, for a hunt at the so called TV shows hosts land in SE Kansas. My customer is good friends with a well know guy that just bought into a well known TV hunting show. I declined for several reasons. But what struck me funny was when my customer said don't you want to meet so and so from XYZ Hunting show? I said no. The only guy I said in the industry I want to meet is Steve Bartylla, and my customer said to me is "WHO the F**K is Steve Bartylla?"

He has not got a clue, Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, I just found that funny as all hell!

Lol! That is funny. You matter to the guys that matter Steve.

I got a buddy that's "pro-staff" for one of those outfits. He was lent a $3000 camera to film his hunts. In exchange, he gets to be on TV if he films a good hunt. That's it. Beyond that he's paying for everything else. And he's bought cases of scent killer products.

That is funny....you almost made me choke, as I was swallowing when I read that.

I'm under absolutely NO delusions that I'm a celebrity or ever will be. The overwhelming majority of hunters have absolutely no clue who I am and never will. I don't sit at the cool kids table in the lunch room. I'm off in the dark corner at my own little table. Just enough know me and follow my stuff that I'm left alone and able to do what I want, and I can't express how much I appreciate those few that do follow my stuff.

There's hidden advantages to that, though. While the cool kids are asking for 20-200K a year for their sponsorships (almost all are TV show sponsorships...paid pro staffers like me are very few and far between), I'm asking for 5-10K. Just yesterday I got a call from one of my long term pro staff companies. They're slashing their budgets again, axing over half their shows and only keeping a couple pro staffers, but all of them received pay cuts. She called me because she was afraid I heard about that and would be nervous...I'm untouched again. There's a big advantage to playing small ball over the long run in this industry....And being a top dog seems to fade really fast. As I wrote, I like it in the dark corner.

That is funny....you almost made me choke, as I was swallowing when I read that.

I'm under absolutely NO delusions that I'm a celebrity or ever will be. The overwhelming majority of hunters have absolutely no clue who I am and never will. I don't sit at the cool kids table in the lunch room. I'm off in the dark corner at my own little table. Just enough know me and follow my stuff that I'm left alone and able to do what I want, and I can't express how much I appreciate those few that do follow my stuff.

There's hidden advantages to that, though. While the cool kids are asking for 20-200K a year for their sponsorships (almost all are TV show sponsorships...paid pro staffers like me are very few and far between), I'm asking for 5-10K. Just yesterday I got a call from one of my long term pro staff companies. They're slashing their budgets again, axing over half their shows and only keeping a couple pro staffers, but all of them received pay cuts. She called me because she was afraid I heard about that and would be nervous...I'm untouched again. There's a big advantage to playing small ball over the long run in this industry....And being a top dog seems to fade really fast. As I wrote, I like it in the dark corner.

I'm a bigger fan everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! That is funny. You matter to the guys that matter Steve.

I got a buddy that's "pro-staff" for one of those outfits. He was lent a $3000 camera to film his hunts. In exchange, he gets to be on TV if he films a good hunt. That's it. Beyond that he's paying for everything else. And he's bought cases of scent killer products.

It's capitalism/supply and demand at its finest. There's a very high number of people all wanting a piece of a very small cash pie. With such a high supply of those wanting to get in and such a small demand for them, most have to do whatever it takes to stand any chance at all, and few realize how slim that chance is. It was slim when I broke in (I was just too ignorant and stubborn to quit), but it's A LOT slimmer now.

It's capitalism/supply and demand at its finest. There's a very high number of people all wanting a piece of a very small cash pie. With such a high supply of those wanting to get in and such a small demand for them, most have to do whatever it takes to stand any chance at all, and few realize how slim that chance is. It was slim when I broke in (I was just too ignorant and stubborn to quit), but it's A LOT slimmer now.

Is it a lot slimmer or just a lot more competition now? There sure are a lot more products these days. Just thinking out loud here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding SUPER cheesy, you have any clue what it means to me to have hunters of your caliber, guys that for good reason have little to no respect for many in the industry, say stuff like the 3 of you just did? It's humbling, guys. That doesn't do it justice, but it's the best I can do.

email sent

Last edited: