Picking a New Hunting Partner

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
We lost our eleven year old BLF a few weeks ago to cancer and as I have stated I'm a dog guy from the ground up, the whole family are dog people. For me I feel like I've got one hand tied behind my back if I'm hunting anything but deer without a dog, and to not have a dog around in the yard and hanging a head out the window of the truck as I run errands just seems weird.
We were looking for a dog to hunt duck&goose/pheasant/bunny/grouse/quail...worry ground hogs be a burglar alarm and a member of the family, we have had labs/chessies/beagles/English setters and decided to try a German Shorthair Pointer this round.
I enjoy training dogs so we started puppy shopping, my prerequisites were that the puppy be female with a good nose and disposition and out of hunting parents. We found what we were looking for in SW PA made a few calls and set up a time to see them.
A little over week ago the wife and I made the drive east and were very pleased by the selection we found.

It was like a puppy mosh pit;
RRRbb0c.jpg

They had seven females to pick from of the eleven puppies so I had them brought out one at a time to sniff the scent trail I left in the yard with a fresh duck wing. The first three didn't pay much attention at all, number four followed the trail stopped at the wing then went off to play...number five followed the trail like a coon hound pointed the wing then picked it up and victory lapped a big circle with it and came and sat next to me! The seller said "I think you found your dog" I agreed.

6DOJ1fV.jpg

The next day the boys and I came back from duck hunting and tossed a few ducks around to see how the puppy acted...she picked them up and carried them even played fetch a little for short retrieves.

4kT5bQO.jpg

g8pQi25.jpg

We did a tune up pheasant preserve hunt early last week to get ready for a grouse hunt and the puppy was all about it when we brought birds home.
1eJ3xLn.jpg

Introducing Darcy...the newest member of the family.

uJNqkME.jpg

You guys will be seeing a lot more of her and her adventures in the years to come

Like this very much. Can't wait to see more pics and progress.

My yellow lab is not much of a hunting dog but he has it in his blood. When he was a puppy he would perk his ears up and cock his head and watch tv when ever a duck hunting show came on tv. I don’t think he has too many years left in him at this point as he is having issues with arthritis in his hips. Always wonder what he would have done as a duck dog but he used to go out shed hunting with me every year.

Hope this dog provides you with many years of memories. She is a good looking puppy who seems to have the drive already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking pup! Our male will be 2 this winter he’s never been bird hunting but man he loves the woods and shed hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! My parents are on GSP #2. 11 years and 1 year. They have endless energy but are great upland dogs for sure. With a lot of work I’m sure they can be great duck dogs too. Ours couldn’t sit still long enough for duck hunting. :) I hunted with a buddy and his GSP for ducks and he did great. My buddy said he put a lot of time in though to make that happen. Good luck with her! Beautiful pup.

It wasn't that long ago that I was feeling bad for your loss. Good for you - getting right back in the game. I'm with you, not having a dog with me feels weird. Mine don't "hunt" like yours will, but we'll both have tons of fun with them.

Darcy is one lucky chick.

-John

An update on Darcy's progress...she hit a milestone Monday, her first point on a live game bird!

She has really been a blessing for the whole family helping us get over the loss of Dixie last fall and is like no other dog I have ever had... I think it is the breed because everyone I talk with that has them says the same, crazy energy, crazy drive, love water, run like deer, stamina that never wears down, very intelligent, love to cuddle, great with other dogs and people...very mischievous if left alone! I take her everywhere with me when I'm not at work and the wife treats her like one of our kids.

The boys and I have been working her with retrieving dummies almost from the start, took her rabbit hunting with us a couple times and she didn't mind guns...this spring we introduced her to water and she took to it like a Lab. Saved a few dead birds and wings to work her with from last fall and have been hiding them around and taping wings to dummies to get her used to smelling and looking for ducks/pheasant/grouse/chukar.
So to help with her training I got a little into the quail business getting a permit and being able to keep them to work her with.

Monday I took her out for the first time and planted some quail for her out in the pasture....they must smell like crack cocaine to a junkie the way she acted, I was very happy with how she did and listened.

Her first live game bird point ever
OCeL1hY.jpg

Look under her nose
gcePEWf.jpg

I hit the like button but I really wanted to hit a love button. Congrats

Shes got a very pretty coat! Congrats! Its quite a feeling when you can tell the "get it"!

I miss seeing a good dog work. Well, we call it work, to some dogs it's just plain great fun and that makes the dog.

Haven't updated this thread in almost a year. Baby girl has grown into a really good hunting dog and we have had a lot of fun with her in the past eleven months since I posted in this thread last.
Things I've learned;
When she starts going a different direction that I think a bird is...trust her.
When she flops down and starts to roll....stop her fast.
GSP's never seem to where out or slow down.
Hunting with a dog is a million times better than hunting without.
Sharing time with a good dog is almost as good as hanging out with a close friend.
She can always have my last bite of anything...she's earned it.

For anyone who hasn't seen her escapades in my land tour;

YX1dd2e.jpg

Vum0t5z.jpg

nduotXt.jpg

icd8KgL.jpg

lnAQcg3.jpg

oPT1o9G.jpg

Yzeqe2E.jpg

ZLDwVke.jpg

Her first honor point
Rr4mXoM.jpg

This past Sunday afternoon working quail at the farm

She is also good in the water and is picking up waterfowling well, I couldn't be more pleased at how well she is coming along. Really looking forward to this fall spending time with her. I took vacation this year from October 23'rd - December 11th to hopefully get my buck and hunt with Darcy for ducks&geeese, grouse, woodcock and pheasants in multiple states and provinces.

Wow where did that time go?
She’s looking good.

Great pics

Pics of family and dogs are always my favorites

thanks for posting

bill

GSP’s are great dogs. She looks like she is a great fit for your household.