Hunting property injuries

Bszweda

5 year old buck +
So I fell 6 to 8 feet off an a frame ladder 9 days ago. (trying to figure where to put box blinds in fields for this spring). I'm recovering and should hopefully get most my hand mobility back. Just wondering if anyone has some good injury stories working on their property.

1. ladders aren't stable in fields
2. Don't get complacent

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_151031155.jpg
    IMG_20221211_151031155.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 51
My rule when climbing is go slow & deliberate and always have 3 points of contact. Speed kills ...

About 2 years ago I was working in one of our older barns on the second floor. Step onto an area of floor in between cross beams and the floor completely gave away with me dropping 10' to the next floor. Was dazed and took me a little bit to figure out what happened. Landed on my back/hip area and was very lucky I was just sore for a while. Could've been much worse.

Knock on wood, no major injuries but had a close call in WV a few years ago. Putting up a stand for my dad and had safety belt on and everything. My homemade prusik knot wasn't tied right and it came apart when I was 15 feet up hanging the stand. As I was falling backwards I reached out and snagged the ladder with my left hand. I guess I did actually injure myself because about a year later I developed a frozen shoulder. The doctor said it was most likely from an injury to the shoulder. It's the only thing I can actually think that I did to it. Could've been real bad if I'd have fell. A tangle of logs below me, about 2 miles back in the woods with the last 1/4 mile being an ATV trail.

Now I'm overly cautious. I don't care if it takes me a couple hours to put up a stand.

Ladder.jpg

So I fell 6 to 8 feet off an a frame ladder 9 days ago. (trying to figure where to put box blinds in fields for this spring). I'm recovering and should hopefully get most my hand mobility back. Just wondering if anyone has some good injury stories working on their property.

1. ladders aren't stable in fields
2. Don't get complacent
Not sure if there is such a thing as "good injury stories," but here is mine.

In February, while finishing up assembly of a 10' tower, I had everything about done and was double-checking bolt tightness. Using a ladder for the top of the tower worked great for three of the four sides. When I got to the top of the ladder on the fourth side, I thought, "I should check the trap door bolt." As I leaned over a little more, the tower, my ladder and my person spilled to the ground. While nothing was broken, I was bruised and sore for nearly a month.

Lessons learned: Never go up a tower stand that is not anchored. Get help.

Do bee stings qualify as hunting property injuries?

i keep a selfie catalogue that belongs on the "Laughter is good medicine" thread

bill

I've always worried about a knot failing and me falling from my saddle. I usually keep my lineman belt on and the teether just incase.

356 Ive been thinking alot about anchoring / making sure the box blind doesn't fall over after my fall. Also probably going to stairs instead of ladder.

I'd think bee stings count. Ive heard people running hornets nest over with open cab tractors makes for a fun experience. when I was growing up my dad was building a deck in the summer and a bee made it's way into his soda drink, and it stung him when he was drinking it.

Reactions: 356
I've had a few close calls while hinge cutting that were inches away from being REALLY bad.

One thing I will do if I want to maintain a high hinge cut is I'll cut a stump off high and put a notch in the top. I'll then try to land a hinged tree into that notch ...it prevents them from settling over time. A few winters ago I was working with a buddy in a snow storm and were attempting to do this. The hinged tree broke off, as often happens when hinging soft maple in the winter. So we cut a notch in the top of the broken hinge stump and decided to lift the downed tree up to span the two notched stumps, which were chest height. The tree was certainly testing are maximum lifting capabilities, but we got it up with a 1-2-3 heave ho. Except my buddies side went in and bounced out, causing the stump I was working at to become a fulcrum. My end of the tree cracked me square in the jaw as it went up, I was shocked I wasn't knocked out but was sure my jaw was broken. Then the blood started just gushing from my mouth and I thought I had bit part of my tongue off. I thought I needed to get to a hospital, the 150 yard walk to the truck produced a blood trail that would be the most impressive I'd ever seen in the snow. Once at the truck, the pain and shock started to dull and was able to take an assessment of the damage. Tongue was intact, just a nasty cut...then after poking and pushing on my jaw for a bit I was pretty sure everything was OK. Took a few minutes to collect myself, threw some McDonalds napkins in my mouth for the bleeding and headed back out to cut (with a little more precaution).

That stinks. hope it heals back to normal.

Old story that you old timers have heard. In the spring I selected a large popple for a tree stand. I left the tree steps in place but removed the stand for the spring/ summer.

In August I went back to hang the stand. I tied a rope to my belt that was also tied to the stand. I pulled the stand up and chained it to the tree. Those dang deer flies were bad, just a minute, those are bees coming out of the tree just above my head.

I jumped down and took off running but my belt was still tied to the chained on deer stand. My belt broke and pants fell down but I kept on running. I only got stung once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Girdled and sprayed a 14" honey locust a couple years prior. Went back in the snow last winter to cut some firewood. Wasn't planning on cutting standing stuff and didn't bring a helmet. Ended up dropping this particular locust and it up on some tall hedge. I cut it again to collapse it and it stood almost straight up but remained hung up. I couldn't free it. I gave up and dropped another one, but smaller, on the same hedge. It hung up too but was small enough that I tried to man handle it. While bent over facing the tree and pulling g on the smaller one, the larger one dislodged without me knowing and took me across the top of the head. It knocked me straight back very hard and trapped me under it. I didn't lose consciousness fortunately. I managed to get out from under it and tried to get to my truck where my phone was. My legs weren't working and I couldn't stay standing. My back hurt real bad where it was compressed by the blow. I got my second wind finally and got to the phone and called my wife to come get me. I was bleeding pretty bad by then and when I shut the truck door to go get my chainsaw I noticed all the locust thorns sticking out of the back of my head, my neck, my back, and my arms. Took 9 staples to close the head wound. A disc in my back is still wonky and I think I still have pieces of broken off locust thorn tips embedded in places. I was lucky. The tree had been dead for 2 years and was lighter from moisture loss. I think a wet tree might have killed me. I am burning that very wood in my fireplace as I type this. Not my first rodeo with stupidity but I'm still fogging a mirror fortunately.

Got bit by a springpole last year. Cutting a small diameter sapling that was bent way over and I was just going way too fast and not paying attention. When I released it I was in the exact wrong spot and the tree sprung back and nailed me right in the face shield of my helmet. I saw stars. I felt the blood run down my face. Sat down against a different stump and put pressure on my nose to stop the bleeding and felt like an absolute idiot realizing what I just did.

Little skin missing on my nose and 2 black eyes later and I was back out working...
IMG_2837.JPG

Got bit by a springpole last year. Cutting a small diameter sapling that was bent way over and I was just going way too fast and not paying attention. When I released it I was in the exact wrong spot and the tree sprung back and nailed me right in the face shield of my helmet. I saw stars. I felt the blood run down my face. Sat down against a different stump and put pressure on my nose to stop the bleeding and felt like an absolute idiot realizing what I just did.

Little skin missing on my nose and 2 black eyes later and I was back out working...
View attachment 48267

I had the same thing happen several years ago. Was hinge cutting a 8" diameter tree and it twisted when it fell. I was trying to cut and release a bit more and the long horizontal trunk did a barber chair split. The spring split snapped right back at my chest and threw me back about 10' on my azz. I was grasping for air and thankfully did not break any bones. I had a long horizontal bruise across my chest and was very sore. The split should've gone up but it did the unexpected. Learned a good lesson that day.

I was unloading a wooden box stand with metal roof off a 16 ft trailer. Put a strap around the box stand and tied to a tree and drove the trailer out from under it. Went to undo the strap and walked into the corner of the roof metal. Cut me across the cheek and into my ear right at the ear lobe - all the way through my ear. Had two ear halves but they were both still attached. Blood was pouring out of my ear and cheek. No cell service. Undid the trailer from the truck and jumped in truck. Had to pull up and back up a little. Backed my brand new truck into the trailer. Cant even remember how many stitches it took to close the wounds. I know there was a LOT of blood

Was checking zero on three muzzle loaders before season opener - wife’s, son’s and mine. Was on the last one, running out of daylight. Got in a hurry and left ramrod in barrel when I fired. Scope hit bridge of nose and buckled me to my knees. I was wearing a pair of Costa sunglasses and it broke them into at bridge of nose. Never did find one half. Blood was running so profusely out of my nose it was a solid stream to the ground. Held a towel against my nose while I drove 25 miles to hospital - was also spitting blood. Crazy thing was, I was wearing a white t shirt. It was soaked in blood. Walked in ER and a couple of folks cringed when they looked at my face and t shirt covered in blood. The gal at the desk calmly asked “can I help you?”

One evening I climbed up in a tree stand to do a little bow hunting for hogs. Just got settled in and I felt a bug fly into my ear. Tilted my head to side and shook my head a little trying to dislodge. Immediately felt a stabbing pain within my ear. It stung me. I barely was able to crawl down. It stung again when I got on the ground. I was on my knees writhing in pain as I called my wife to come get me. Turned out it was a small wasp - about half the size of normal. It was scratching at my ear drum with its claws and that, too, was painful as heck. Ended up stinging me five times in total before we got to ER. Dr dug it out in pieces as ear canal almost swelled shut. Probably the worse pain I have felt.

I have had a few more minor incidents like breaking a leg when a tree stand collapsed, a shark about biting a thumb off, a hardhead catfish sticking a spine in an artery in my ankle - and probably a few others if I thought about it.

I had the same thing happen several years ago. Was hinge cutting a 8" diameter tree and it twisted when it fell. I was trying to cut and release a bit more and the long horizontal trunk did a barber chair split. The spring split snapped right back at my chest and threw me back about 10' on my azz. I was grasping for air and thankfully did not break any bones. I had a long horizontal bruise across my chest and was very sore. The split should've gone up but it did the unexpected. Learned a good lesson that day.
Cutting trees and using a chainsaw can be dangerous business. I am a lot more careful and try to plan work after hearing from friends about two people being killed in the woods that were friends or relatives of theirs.

One friend of a friend was taken out by a widow maker while cutting a tree. The other fella was a cousin of a good friend that I had met a few times. A tree on steep hill either shifted unexpectedly or barber chaired while being cut and busted him up inside. He was able to make a few phone calls but was dead by the time they got to him

Be safe out there while doing woods work. Likely more dangerous than stuff most run into at work.

Last edited:
I had a home made tree stand, basically some 2x4's for a floor brace, and steps, and a piece of plywood to stand on, I made it into the stand just fine, but climbing down, the second from the top step gave away, I dropped about 8 feet, landed on my feet still holding my gun with one hand. I didnt get injured, but that was my first step to building safe deer stands.

Another time, I was gun hunting by myself on my hunting land. At this point I didnt have any structures, just woods. I had a climber tree stand, with the seat and rest on the top, and the foot stand on the bottom. I made it to the hieght I wanted, probably about 12-15 feet. I was securing the top half, and I hung my backpack on a hook on the tree, a couple does came walking through and I shot one of them. I thought to myself, well that was a quick hunt. I sat down for a little while to let the deer sit, and for me to rest. The bottom foot rest slid down to the bottom of the tree, while I was sitting in the top half. Obviously the rope that held the pieces together wasnt holding them together. So I hung my gun on the hook with my back pack, and tried to climb down, I ended up rolling and spraining my ankle. As I was laying on the ground next to the tree in major pain, I decided I needed to walk back to my truck about 200 yards a way. It was around 0 degrees out, and about 3pm, I had a couple hours of daylight left, but I was getting cold. SO I hopped back to the truck, to realize my keys are in the back pack, with my cell phone, and gun, 15 feet or so in the tree. So I had to hop back out to the tree and see if I could figure out how to climb up the tree to get my back pack, and gun down.

I tried hugging the tree and shimming up, with a sprained foot, that didnt work, doubt it would have anyhow. At this point it was starting to get dark, I am in the woods, no flashlight, no cell phone, no keys, no gun, my foot hurt like hell, and it was cold. I ended up finding a down limb, I lifted it up, and got it up to the hook, and unhooked my gun, but it fell to the ground, broke my scope, sad, but I still needed my back pack, I did finally get the back pack to drop, but it was dark, I was very cold, and I could barely put any weight on my foot. I left the gun, and the deer in the woods overnight, and drove to the hospital, they said it was just a sprain, but dam it hurt!

I went back to my inlaws parents cabin about 50 miles away and stayed there for the night. A friend drove the 200 miles to come up and help me get the deer, and my gun out of the woods. It was an adventure, but it could have easily been a lot worse. To this day my ankle is weak, and it lets me know when I step on something at an angle, or roll my ankle a little. It was my last hunt with a climber stand. I still hunt alone at times, but I keep my cell phone on me.

Several years ago in the spring I was up in a tree stand with a chain saw trimming a tree for the following fall. I was cutting off a bigger limb of what I think was a basswood tree when the limb unexpectedly snapped. The end of the limb hit the ground first causing the trunk to jump back at me and hit me in the leg. The world went black for a second and I thought I was going to pass out but I regained my senses.
It was a painful lesson. This picture was a few minutes after it happened. By the next day my leg was extremely swelled up.
Screenshot_20221221_151910_Gmail.jpg

I have had a few close calls...but nothing serious....depending on who you talk to

Been smacked in the jaw when cutting a pinched branch that I didn't notice was under load....that will wake ya up....and damn near knock you out!
I had a cable on a hang-on stand break on me while I was in it.....had my harness on. I fell forward enough that without the harness I would have been testing how soft the ground was.
I have had the chain on my saw grab my pant leg as it was idling down....torn the pants, but not me.
I was cutting on an uprooted tree once and was working on the top portion and working my way down the tree. I was having to reach up about head level so I climbed up on the trunk of the tree and started cutting as I straddled the tree. I didn't think that removing the weight of the top....and the root mass might turn it into a catapult! I almost took a little ride!! It came up a few feet on me and was enough to think...."yep....this is a bad idea."

And the most painful.....I was walking along thru some brush and I caught a small sapling/whip (about 3 foot tall) with the inside part of the toe section of my boot....just enough to bend it over and then spring back up - you know that "whip" sound a nice green limb makes as it moves quickly thru the air? Yep...and smack me right in the boys! That one...left me on the ground for a while.

I was also once struck by lightning thru the ground....but that was only partially my fault (this is where it depends on who you talk to - my wife makes it sound like I cheated death). I was squirrel hunting and a late summer thunderstorm rolled in on me. It was pouring rain....I was heading to the house. The hair on my neck and arms stood up....I heard a whining sound and then it was like someone put a flash camera in my face. I ended up on the ground.....face up. Soaked....and now really pissed! I was fine....cold, soaked to the bone and still had about 500 yards of open, flat field to cross to get home..... It messed with me but didn't even make the 22 shells discharge in the gun. Just a scratch....I've had worse!

I also once was in a climber...about 20 feet off the ground. No harness.... and the based was needing adjusting so I sat on the top portion and went to adjust the base.....and the cable came all the way back around the tree the wrong way....that's not good. So - I was 20 feet up, no base attached to the tree. No safety.... and the deer show up! I eventually was able to get the cable back around the tree and re-attached to the point I was able to get down. I hate climbers....

This a bad thread. These stories make me cringe. I also blew a muzzie up while hunting. Got back to the truck and drove halfway to town where my dad picked me up. A couple hospitals later they called a hand surgeon out of his Christmas orchestra to pretty much reattach my middle finger. I felt so bad. He had been practicing for a long time for that night and didn't get to perform.

I also hate climbers and had a near close call. And with all the chain saw stories... I mentioned in another thread that my grandad ran a sawmill for many years and never cutting alone was a golden rule. He was never hurt badly but a brother of his was killed in a logging accident. I know it's hard a lot of times but try to keep a buddy with you when running a saw.

Old Camera 213.JPG

Sprained ankle stepping into some kind of critters hole in the tall grass, was wearing high top hunting boots at the time or it could have been worse.

Didn't happen to me but my wife broke her nose helping me put up cove moulding she we built our cabin.

While I went to cut a piece of moulding she stepped up on a 2 foot ladder to do something and fell off. She fell toward the bottom half of a bunked that was taken apart. The post was longer than her arm when she tried to break her fall. She bounced her nose off the bed post and let out a scream that she'd broken her nose. By the time I got back in the cabin there was blood all over the sink.

A trip to urgent care and three stitches later things were better. A few days later she looked like a racoon. I thought for sure the doctor was going to report me for abuse but the subject never came up.