how far will a .10th of rain go?

Bc4abc

5 year old buck +
I planted WR and Durana two weeks ago..The same day I put seed down we got 1/2 inch of rain.....both the Durana and WR germinated, and as of last Sat the WR was out of the ground a good 4 inches, looks as if all the Durana had germinated as well.

The problem is, we haven't gotten any rain since the initial 1/2 inch, until today ...we got about a 1/10th of an inch according to weather service today , not much of anything in the forecast for a week or so

....am I in good shape?

This was disced to bare dirt, rolled, and drug, before planting.

.10 is good and .25 is better. Unless you are getting 90 plus degree temps and high winds to dry out the soil, you should be fine. The small seedlings will soak up what they can, utilize it and slow down their growth if they don't get rain in the next couple of weeks. Durana is a drought tolerate clover when established and rye will tolerate dry conditions as well.

Its sept, usually better for dryer conditions than a July planting......

Its sept, usually better for dryer conditions than a July planting......

I would agree, sun is lower in the sky, lower night time temps, less direct sunlight & heat to dry out available moisture ....

I agree with the others, and I'm in a similar situation with plots recently planted. We don't have any rain forecasted now for a long time. The ground is so dry that you can uproot a big weed and the dust will fly.

But, the morning dews have been good. That helps some. If it will keep them alive and in idle mode until the rains come, that is fine with me. If that doesn't work out - back to the drawing board...LOL.

Good luck.

I think the amount of organic matter and soil health has a huge bearing on how far any amount of rain will go. And tillage has a drying effect, too. Compaction also plays a big roll on how much rain percolates.
A half inch on quality soil will go much farther than 3 inches on poor soil.

Thanks for all the replies...I was there today and it looked ok ...but no rain in forecast for 8 more days ......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Here's a couple pics...IMG_20160902_184942217.jpgIMG_20160902_185008594_HDR.jpg

No rain in two weeks ...none forecasted for two more....not feeling good about my rye and durana

Welcome to farming! LOL

We deal with it every year!

update:.....after planting on 7/9 durana and rye we got half inch of rain that day! then nothing till 7/21 when we got a tenth of an inch. Last night We got a half inch of Rain . first rain of any kind since July 21st...I'm guessing my rye and young clover is toast!

Is there any hope for my rye and very young durana planted on 7/9/16????

Thanks

Bc, I would LOVE to send all of you as much rain as you could use. August brought us over 6 inches of rain, September has added 8.93 inches as I type this. We are having a real hard time getting anything planted. We did try to plant some rye and oats today, on already saturated ground, and we had a down pour that started washing the seed away. It's been tough here as well but from a completely different end of the spectrum. Welcome to food plotting.

update:.....after planting on 7/9 durana and rye we got half inch of rain that day! then nothing till 7/21 when we got a tenth of an inch. Last night We got a half inch of Rain . first rain of any kind since July 21st...I'm guessing my rye and young clover is toast!

Is there any hope for my rye and very young durana planted on 7/9/16????

Thanks

Depends on the OM and thus the moisture holding ability of your soil and how much actual soil moisture you had before planting. On the beach sand we had at our old place, I would bet even the rye would have been toast given those circumstances. The clover would be for sure and I know that from experience, happened just about every year.

Depends on the OM and thus the moisture holding ability of your soil and how much actual soil moisture you had before planting. On the beach sand we had at our old place, I would bet even the rye would have been toast given those circumstances. The clover would be for sure and I know that from experience, happened just about every year.

Yep. And I'll add... that soil compaction, slope steepness, and slope orientation to the compass and how fast 1/10" of rain fell will all have an effect on how far a given amount of rain will go.

Nor alot of organic matter in my soil.....I'm thinking all the clover and prob am thinking rye us toasted

We are in the same boat. We planted the weekend after labor day. No rain since. 90-100 most days. Hopefully this front that is moving through right now will give a little. Hope we get into a pattern of rain every week or so. It is a crap shoot. We planted mostly durana and rye with some crimson and arrow leaf in some places. We have not been back since planting. Time will tell. "D"

We got another half inch Monday night ....and another inch forecasted for Thursday ....I reapplied seed ...crossing my fingers not to late to get it established

A tenth of an inch may be ten times what I have had since about August 6th! Ugh. A storm cell came within 10 miles of us today but blew apart and didn't make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just out down another 70 pounds of rye and 5 pounds durana ....100 pounds of 0-25-25........started raining as I put down last bag ....3 days of rain forecasted starting tonight

Still no rain in middle GA. It has now been almost 3 months since measurable rain. We finally got back to the property to check on things. In shady spots a few straggling blades of rye. Most of our food plots planted a month ago look like the surface of the moon. Those of you that have anything green in your plots need to thank your luck stars. No rain in the 10 day forecast. Acorns are few and spotty. It will be a long winter with little for our deer to eat. Thank goodness for the weeds and honeysuckle in the bottoms on our neighbor's property. Again, if your plots are growing give thanks. "D"