how do I figure out what 2 bottom plow I have?

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
I need new points for my 2 bottom plow, but have no idea on how to figure out which points I need, I could get pics this weekend possibly if that would help. thanks guys.

Measure your old ones? I think mine are 18", but it's been years

What model and make is the plow. Ford? Dearborn? John Deere? etc?

Take an old one of and go to your local imp. dealer, they should be able to match it up.

sounds good, but my local dealer is a tractor supply, not sure how far I will get there, its more of a dog and cat food kinda area, occasional sweet feed.

Any good welders in your area to get the old one's hard faced?

face isn't the trouble, the tip is like trying to push a baseball through the dirt.. JD, dearborn? no clue.

face isn't the trouble, the tip is like trying to push a baseball through the dirt.. JD, dearborn? no clue.

Is the plow pulled on wheels?.....or is a three-point mounted plow?......or? Pic?

i just took my shares measurements down and while at L and M Supply found replacements that the holes matched up.I cut them to width.Not perfect but neither is my plowing.I think I paid around $24 each for them.

three point mounted, will get pics this weekend.

20150627_113745_zpsqgez9mo1.jpg

sheesh, didn't realize how bad this picture was, raining and rushed it and got out of there.

looking around it may be a ferguson?

Last edited:
I'm quite sure that is a Dearborn plow....based on the "bent" drawbar and frame structure (which allows the tractor and plow to level with the right tires in the furrow). I think this is a good plow.....that you should be able to find parts for.....but some are harder to find. If its in good condition with nice paint, good points and moldboards and the rolling coulters and rear rolling landslide.....is worth about $500 or so. Point being....is pays to get the right parts for it - if you can.

Some models have "throw away" plow shares. I wish I had a pic of the moldboard. Not sure about yours.

You can measure the bottoms (12", 14", 16") by measuring the distance between the two main beams. Measure from right side to right side (or center to center).
That will tell you the share size you need.

From what I can tell in the pic.....it looks like two piece moldboard and plow shares. (the better situation would be to have three pieces....and those are the most desirable and I KNOW parts are available for them (because I owned one not too long ago).

I will try to do a little research on potential model numbers....I just cannot remember the models anymore.

I see now that you strapped some weight to it to keep it in the ground. Tsk Tsk. This should not be needed if you set it up and level it correctly. ;)

I actually took the coulter wheels off of it, , they would make it a tough job un packing the plow when it would get clogged with weeds. once removed it is much easier to unclog. and I notice no difference in sod cutting ability.

Did a little google search: Dearborn Plow Identification. It is NOT a Ford plow.....yours dates back to the 40's. Your plow is a bit strange to me.....in that the frame section (going to the toplink) does not appear to be of the Dearborn pedigree. It's possible that it was broken and replaced(?). Do a google and compare the pics to yours. At first I thought it to be a Dearborn model 10-156 (if it has 14" bottoms). Now I'm not too sure. It could be a Sherman-Feguson Plow. Still....some of the parts can be made to fit.

I'm quite certain it is NOT the "economy" plow which had three piece bottoms. Parts can be had for those....but they do not interchange.

Good luck.

I actually took the coulter wheels off of it, , they would make it a tough job un packing the plow when it would get clogged with weeds. once removed it is much easier to unclog. and I notice no difference in sod cutting ability.

^ Yep....lots of people do this. Do you have a rolling landslide on the back of the plow? (wheel looking device to keep the plow running straight)

that looks very much like it....... if the rains stop I'll be down again tomorrow to look at it, get a better pic or two, and measurement.

wish mine had that data plate on it, looks extremely like mine, tops of the rods that hold coulture wheels stamped off round and all.

From what I was just reading....some of those old ferguson plows can get collectable. Of course you gotta find a buyer.....but it's possible somebody would pay a few hundred for a plow like that...even in somewhat poor condition. Collector folks are funny. I sold my Dearborn plow to a collector who wanted the plow for display of his 8N. Mine was a 16" plow and pulled pretty hard. I doubt his N could pull it. He didn't care. He was all about how it looked. I think he paid me 575$ for it.

After a small amount of plowing....I decided moldboard plowing was detrimental to my land. I was plowing the better top soil down and pulling up sand. I will plow no more......but it is fun.

see my place sat 30 years since it was farmed, closer to 40 in areas, thick root mass, aggressive weeds, heavy clay based soil on 80 % of the plots, only one with more of a sandier loam that is where I put my alfalfa. Plowing for me helps me control wheels and use less herbicides. if I could get 500, I'd buy a brand new one at tractor supply and be done with it.