How big of hole?

chummer

5 year old buck +
I am prepping for my trees this weekend. I have 25 7/16 B.118 rootstock coming. I am planting these direct in the field as an experiment. They are coming from cummins. How big of rootball will they have. Should I pre dig the holes with an excavater or will they be small enough to slip in with a shovel? I will have a 24" bucket so it will be a decent size hole. I don't want to make more work filling in the holes then if I just dug them by hand. I do have a lot of rocks if that matters one way or another.

My two cents... If rootball is the concern, no problem digging by hand. If lots of rocks and/or roots, then use the equipment.

You won't need a big hole for rootstock. You'll spend more time filling it in the holes if you dig big holes ahead of time. You can also trim the roots to make it faster/easier.

Big enough to cover roots lol. Can trim I agree. Deeper the better to maintain dwarfing level

I would rototill some cowshit into a 4' square and lay black plastic mulch. Replace the mulch with gravel this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rototill some cowshit into a 4' square and lay black plastic mulch. Replace the mulch with gravel this fall.

Thanks guys. These will be planted in a three foot tube and left to fend for themselves. I also have 20 grafted trees to plant, cage, and put fabric down. I have learned that it is more work filling in a hole that is way too big than chiseling out a small hole if that is all that is needed. I am also still waiting for the loggers to bring the dozer back to fix the trails. I will be able to get the excavator in no problem but not close to getting atv in yet. That means I will be carrying everything in by hand and it is at least a 300 yard walk to one spot more than double that to the other. I may have to spray them with repellant for a few weeks because there is no way I am carrying the fencing in.

Big enough to cover roots lol. Can trim I agree. Deeper the better to maintain dwarfing level
I don't understand this. If I plant them at different levels I will get different size trees?

I don't understand this. If I plant them at different levels I will get different size trees?
Yes if you bury graft union you can get full size tree

Yes if you bury graft union you can get full size tree
These are just rootstocks, I assumed there would be no graft Union. However, I do have some dolgo's coming on M7 because they couldn't fill my Kerr order. Can I burry those below the graft and get them back to a full size tree.

These are just rootstocks, I assumed there would be no graft Union. However, I do have some dolgo's coming on M7 because they couldn't fill my Kerr order. Can I burry those below the graft and get them back to a full size tree.
I believe so. Bury Union to get near full size tree. Ben can weigh in

Chummer is planting ungrafted rootstock. No graft union to worry about for those.

For M7, buying the graft union should give a larger .

Burying the graft union is risky. It may or may not root. Otherwise, it will rot.

I planted rootstocks last year and I just dug the holes by hand. The root " ball " on a rootstock is fairly small - mine were about 3" dia. and about 8 or 9" long. No graft union on a rootstock, unless you graft something onto it.

I planted rootstocks last year and I just dug the holes by hand. The root " ball " on a rootstock is fairly small - mine were about 3" dia. and about 8 or 9" long. No graft union on a rootstock, unless you graft something onto it.
Thanks, I will plan on using the shovel.

Burying the graft union is risky. It may or may not root. Otherwise, it will rot.

I don't need any more risk, I have a hard enough time with out trying tricks.

Just realized that I thought you meant rootball, not rootstock, in my initial response. Machine would be way over the top. Sorry.