Honey Bees

When do I need to get a swarm trap out? Still waiting on a nectar flow so I am still feeding.

When do I need to get a swarm trap out? Still waiting on a nectar flow so I am still feeding.

I’m still waiting for a foot of snow to melt :)

Where do you guys get your package bees from? I know I am late to the game this year and most suppliers are likely sold out. Asked a friend the other day how his bees were doing and he said he lost them this winter because he did leave them enough honey. Said I could use a hive and borrow his equipment if I wanted to give it a shot. I think I have learned enough from Youtube videos the last couple of days to get a hive going and probably get stung a few times this year!

Where do you guys get your package bees from? I know I am late to the game this year and most suppliers are likely sold out. Asked a friend the other day how his bees were doing and he said he lost them this winter because he did leave them enough honey. Said I could use a hive and borrow his equipment if I wanted to give it a shot. I think I have learned enough from Youtube videos the last couple of days to get a hive going and probably get stung a few times this year!

Check out craigslist usually there are some local guys selling packages or nucs on there (at least in NH there are)

Check out craigslist usually there are some local guys selling packages or nucs on there (at least in NH there are)
also consider local associations, they may have bulk purchases to save money and place orders based on membership. Sometimes there are extra. or help collecting local swarms. Also good resource for questions.

Be warned

Keeping bees is just as addictive as growing baby trees.......

bill

Got a text this morning. 2 hive bodies full of bees for $300.

Got a text this morning. 2 hive bodies full of bees for $300.
That is a good price if the woodenware comes with it.

It’s the guy I bought from last year. His dad sold th farm and they need to get rid of the bees.

KSgobbler shoot me a PM if you arent interested in the bees or both hives. I am heading into northeast KS next week.

Added the second hive. May be catching 2 swarms soon. This hive is full of bees.

My hives are supposed to be here first or second week of May....I am very excited about that! It's been a long time planning and organizing to get it to finally come together.
A local guy is working with me helping out with them.
Starting out with one hive at the little woods will bump it up to two next year and starting with two or three at the big woods and eventually working it up to five or six.
Putting in a half acre pollinator strip next spring at the big woods.

Lots of stuff to pollinate right now7C018609-6ACE-4365-831D-7A2DE8A5A05A.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D9ECC1A-5C95-4678-8EB3-76EBBCA15D1A.jpeg
    3D9ECC1A-5C95-4678-8EB3-76EBBCA15D1A.jpeg
    647 KB · Views: 11
My hives are supposed to be here first or second week of May....I am very excited about that! It's been a long time planning and organizing to get it to finally come together.
A local guy is working with me helping out with them.
Starting out with one hive at the little woods will bump it up to two next year and starting with two or three at the big woods and eventually working it up to five or six.
Putting in a half acre pollinator strip next spring at the big woods.

Welcome to bee keeping. One piece of advice I will offer up. I would group your hives together with a minimum of 2 hives in each spot. If you have 2 hives next to each other you can gauge how they are doing by comparing them to each other. It makes it easier to spot a hive that may be in trouble early.

Thanks for the tip Peeps!

Lots of stuff to pollinate right nowView attachment 18093

Just got back from your neck of the woods. I was able to pick up a just started hive and enough parts to put together another and some medium supers. Got to spend an hour with a beekeeper last night and I think I am off in the right direction. Looking forward to what the summer brings, definitely will be a new learning experience. Our plum, choke cherry and fruit trees should be blooming next week so the timing should be good.

Enjoy the journey......I have.....

bill

The weather is finally warming up in NH guess it's time to unwrap the hives and start inspections. Still a little snow in the woods but temps are finally going to be in the 60s and 70s this week.

Not sure if we want to turn this into a question and answer thread, but I have a question. I put a pollen patty in on top of my frames today, as we dont have anything much in bloom yet. My queen has eggs, larvae and just a little capped brood already. My inner hive lid sticks up a bit because of the thickness of the patty. I put my top cover on as normal. Any problem with the inner cover not laying down flat at this point?

I just fed simple syrup. Don’t want a draft to be able to get in there. I bet at a minimum the elms are blooming.