All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honey Bees

That stinks - I'm assuming you found queen cells in the hive, and cant find the queen?
My wife and kids pulled the 6 frames of honey and said there are no eggs or larve in that hive.

My wife and kids pulled the 6 frames of honey and said there are no eggs or larve in that hive.
How did you make out? Did you requeen? I did another mite treatment today no dead mites after 12hrs.

How did you make out? Did you requeen? I did another mite treatment today no dead mites after 12hrs.

My wife and kids grabbed another queen from our local bee store and put it in the hive. Hopefully the hive accepted her and is doing well. We will know more next weekend.

My greatest memories with my Grandfather all involve honey bees. He had many hives and we always had honey. I was probably only 10 when he passed away, but from age 5 to 10 or 11, I spent hours and hours with him and the bees. I would go with him to get the hive when the swarmed, made many of those square wooded blocks for the honey to be formed in, had my own suit and smoker. I would really like to have a hive or two at the farm, but I don't have the time and have no clue what you have to do to keep bees at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and kids grabbed another queen from our local bee store and put it in the hive. Hopefully the hive accepted her and is doing well. We will know more next weekend.

Let us know how they do. As I said, I missed the boat on re-queening my single hive this year and opted to not re-queen them as there were only a few hundred bees left total in my hive.

I will add another hive next year to try and accelerate my success!

ae6bb9214d51a613b49173920a74af2f.jpg

I finally got to check out my brothers hives. They seem to be doing well. He's going to check them soon to confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did everyone's beekeeping year turn out? I'm putting the sugar syrup to mine now trying to get it up to weight. Also combined two hives today - what a cluster that was! I couldn't find the queen on the weak hive which complicated things!

For our first year at doing this I would say it was a huge success. We have 2 hives and they both made it threw so far and we were able to harvest over 40 lbs of honey from one hive. It was a blast doing this as a family project. My kids love putting on the suits and heading out to the hives. We have learned a lot and have a lot yet to still learn. We are now getting them ready for winter.

My neighbor has 4 hives in my plot and he is going to leave all the honey to try to get them through our insanely long winter. Fine by me, love having them around. I still have some clover flowering although it has to be about done. We had our first snow of the year today.

I think I found a guy with all the gear that will tend a hive if I put one in. My bigger orchard has around forty fruit trees and I have a bunch of clover planted in and around it.
Absolutely love the bee's and want to do all I can to help them and maybe eventually get a couple jars of honey a year.

Happy to see this thread. This has been on my mind for a few years now.

I've just got a little winter prep to finish up - tar paper wrap, foamboard under the telescoping cover, and another OAV treatment for mites. Weighed my hive the other day and its at 240lbs - I'm running 4 mediums for the winter so I think they should have enough food to get them through to spring.

How far do honey bees travel to collect pollen? I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks back, about my lack of apples, and he mentioned he was having a hive brought in this spring. As the crow flies my guess is his hive would be about a half mile away from my trees. Would his bees keep my apple trees pollinated? Or would it be wise to bring a hive in my small orchard of about 15-20 trees. The main issue I have with bringing in a hive would be bears, as of right now an electric fence is not in the cards.

Found this on Wiki: As a rule of thumb the foraging area around a beehive extends for two miles (3 km), although bees have been observed foraging twice and three times this distance from the hive. Experiments have shown that beehives within 4 miles of a food source will gain weight, but beyond that the energy expended is greater than that gained during the foraging flight.

How far do honey bees travel to collect pollen? I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks back, about my lack of apples, and he mentioned he was having a hive brought in this spring. As the crow flies my guess is his hive would be about a half mile away from my trees. Would his bees keep my apple trees pollinated? Or would it be wise to bring a hive in my small orchard of about 15-20 trees. The main issue I have with bringing in a hive would be bears, as of right now an electric fence is not in the cards.

From what we have learned this year with our hives, is that they will travel 2 miles! This should do wonders for your orchard at your neighbors expense! Best of luck with the orchard!

Thanks! I knew they can travel a couple miles, but I didnt know how far they will normally travel, as in how beneficial it would be. If a few would travel or a bunch would. I figured at just a half a mile, it would benefit his trees, and mine. I have some 5 year old trees, and some 1-3 year old trees, and none have produced apples yet. Although, they have bloomed. But the last couple years we have gotten a late frost, so I wasnt sure if it was the lack of pollination, or the frost.

Did everybody get there spring bee order in? I had one hive last year and it looks like its going to make it through winter plus I ordered a nuc and a package so I'll be starting the year with 3 hives.

We tried overwintering our 2 hives but they did not make it. We have 2 nucs already ordered. Might be frost seeding some more clover for both the deer and bees this next week if the snow is off my plots. I'll know more tonight when I get up north.

This is the third year I am letting a friend put honey bee hives on my land. He puts out 20+ hives on a three axle trailer. It has a solar powered electric fence around it to keep the bears and other honey thieves away. I have a prairie with 20 forbs and 28 mature apple trees on my land plus a 5K square foot pond. I have other water areas that utilize blue 55 gallon food grade drums cut in half to catch rain water. He lost 50% of his hives the first two winters. This winter he sent 100 of his hives out to California with another beekeeper. They pollinate the almond groves for hire. I can't eat honey due to my type 2 diabetes, but I do get help with jobs that require his D3 in return for letting the hives on my land.
This is a win-win situation for the both of us.

I have 2 packages coming this spring.....I tried and failed last year to keep the one hive I started. My queen died or left and that was it.

Time will tell how this year goes but I am hoping for better luck!