Honey Bees

So where did you get the bees ? Are you going to extract the honey or just leave it in the hive?

I've seen a few stories recently about hives being stolen. This was for larger collections taken while rented out to orchards. I doubt many have the expertise or desire to snatch a hive or two but one more thing to worry about walking off. Certainly worth marking your hive and maybe having a trail cam on it.

I started my first hive this spring and so far so good. Looks like your hives are doing well thanks for sharing.

We got a package of bees from Fleet Farm and a nuc from a place called Honey Beeware. We are going to harvest the honey at the end of the season. My clover plot is next to the hives and the bees where quite active on the clover. It is fun to watch them come and go from the hives. Some come back really loaded with pollen. I mowed and weed wacked next to the hives on Saturday and they didn't mind at all.

Are you planning on getting a smoker and a suit to harvest the honey ?

Are you planning on getting a smoker and a suit to harvest the honey ?
We have a smoker and suits. We use them while working the hives. So far the bees have been very docile. I even put the suit on when I mowed and wacked next to the hives but they didn't care about me.

Reactions: ATP
Peeps have you opened your hive with package bees yet? I opened mine up yesterday and the bees had drawn out 5 frames of comb. Just wondering how that compares.

Souds like a real cool project and all the supplies are at Fleet Farm. Problem is I don't have a smoker or a suit so I guess I'm out. Can you just put the hive out and not harvest ? What do you do with the hives come winter ?

Peeps have you opened your hive with package bees yet? I opened mine up yesterday and the bees had drawn out 5 frames of comb. Just wondering how that compares.
We have been in it. My wife is hoping to go in it on Sunday or Monday weather permitting and I will give an update. I think they were around 4-5 last check. The nuc was well ahead of that and needed the next box added.

Souds like a real cool project and all the supplies are at Fleet Farm. Problem is I don't have a smoker or a suit so I guess I'm out. Can you just put the hive out and not harvest ? What do you do with the hives come winter ?
Guess I never thought about leaving the hives and not harvesting the honey. Honey is yummy and makes great gifts or you can sell it. We will prob harvest all the honey and start over with new bees next year. Overwintering hives up here can sometimes be a coin toss on if they will make it or what shape they will be in come spring.

We checked both hives today. Actually I kinda watch and do whatever my wife needs as the hives are her baby but I enjoy working in them too. Our package hive has 4 frames full. The nuc hive is way ahead and they are already working on the second box of frames.

My bees are pretty much at the same stage. I bought a clear inner cover and love it no smoker required to check up on the bees.I have a frame of drawn comb that I'm going to add when things warm up later this week maybe that will speed them up.

Update from checking on our hives today. The nuc hive has already filled about 70% of the second box of frames that we added 2 1/2 weeks ago. Today we put in the queen excluder and added a honey super. The hive of packaged bees is still making progress on their first set of frames and should be ready for their second box soon. We were able to see all stages in both hives from eggs to larve to a new baby crawling out and capped honey. So far so good. One interesting thing is that every time we check the hives we find ticks hanging out on the outside of the boxes. I think they may be drawn to the warmth coming from the hives.

Last edited:
Pics from the second box. image.png

image.png

These our from the first box of the nuc hive. image.png

Wow that looks great! My hive has hit a road block the queen appears to have died or been killed and I have supersedure cells throughout the hive. I'm ordering a new queen today luckily I still have plenty of capped brood but no eggs or larvae. Still have about 5 frames of drawn out comb