Honey Bees

I've been allergic to them since I was a kid, put me in the hospital once.
When we decided to add bees to the farm I went to an allergy Dr to check about finishing my shots, though I never finished them.
After the hospital overnight my parents took me for weekly Dr visits for increasingly larger bee venom shots.
Back to the present, I had blood drawn and the Dr said it didn't show I was allergic to bees now, but to keep an epipen with me just in case.
Last spring I had one nail me right behind the ear and of course no epi.
It takes a good 20 minutes to drive myself to the er and even then my eyes were only a little swollen.
They gave me benadryl and a good scolding for not having my epi, but still, the first time since I was 8 or so I didn't have to take an epi shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Merle,

Carry the f***in pen!!!!!!!!

bill

My wife and I were just talking about getting into the bee hive thing. We have occasional swarms around here, once had a massive blob of them on the back bumper of my truck out of nowhere.
what would be a really good resource that you guys would recommend for us to learn the ins and outs? I will be searching the internet for some but if anybody has a particular reference that is real good, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Chris

My wife and I were just talking about getting into the bee hive thing. We have occasional swarms around here, once had a massive blob of them on the back bumper of my truck out of nowhere.
what would be a really good resource that you guys would recommend for us to learn the ins and outs? I will be searching the internet for some but if anybody has a particular reference that is real good, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Chris
Beekeeping for Dummies Howie Blackiston

The Backyard BeeKeeper Kim Flottum

First Lessons in Beekeeping Dadant Publishers

These will get you started

Be forewarned: Keeping bees is every bit as addictive as planting trees/habitat management

bill

Thanks TreeDaddy. The addictive nature of the hobby is what scares me the most about getting into it. LOL

Haven't seen any activity out of this hive in the last month, temps are in the mid forties today, so I decided to have a look. Hive seems to be doing good, got my first sting of the year out of the way.20220206_145509_HDR.jpg

At 40 they arent out of the hive are they?

At 40 they arent out of the hive are they?
No activity today. Last monday was in the sixties, all the hives were fairly active except this one.

forecast here calls for temp in 60s this week

Activity in the apiary ( and this thread) should start to pick up

bill

I don’t own bees ,

but I love to make blackberry/ raspberry mead!

Attachments

• D196E5C0-D6CB-4DAC-8879-AAD05751A98E.jpeg
    D196E5C0-D6CB-4DAC-8879-AAD05751A98E.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 6828E9C9-BC09-4CFA-A5B1-C93E68589F4D.jpeg
    6828E9C9-BC09-4CFA-A5B1-C93E68589F4D.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 9
  • D5F4D2C4-AEEF-4FF5-B787-2F41D9699AB4.jpeg
    D5F4D2C4-AEEF-4FF5-B787-2F41D9699AB4.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 9
Some of mine were flying today, cleaning out the dead. It was sunny and in the upper 30’s. There were a few hundred dead bees on the snow pack in the backyard.

Hopefully it stays cold and they don’t break cluster. The next 4-6 weeks are critical as far as survival of winter goes

Noticed activity in all the hives today. Good to see them out and about. Red maples have flower buds showing.
467c81bd4874bd5baf009295a5073e15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sunny and mid sixties, very windy today. Pulled off the quilt boxes ( shallow with pillow case full of pine shavings) and left them with a feed shim and sugar bricks. All four hives have made it so far, happy with the size of the clusters.20220220_134832.jpg20220220_133542_HDR.jpg20211231_133145.jpg

I noticed the queen excluder

How many use them?

I stopped using them and have not noticed any issue with brood in supers,etc

bill

I use them as needed depending on the hive, some queens want to continually move up and others will stay down. I use the excluders more on swarms or cut outs to keep the queen in the box until she starts laying.

I use them on all the hives. I work so many hours, it just doesn't leave me a lot of time for everything else. I can look through the supers or take them off a little quicker not having to worry about her being up there. For me it is simply a time saver, I don't have to stop and scan everything looking for her.

Any thought on spring management of Varroa mites?

Anyone doing counts,Rx,etc?

Also, how did everyone's colonies do over the winter?

Spring time is the BeeKeeper's "deer season" for excitement

bill

Any thought on spring management of Varroa mites?

Anyone doing counts,Rx,etc?

Also, how did everyone's colonies do over the winter?

Spring time is the BeeKeeper's "deer season" for excitement

bill
I lost one hive this past winter - so far. It was a swarm that showed up late summer in an old abandoned hive and never built up very strong. I am not out of the woods yet - we had off and on warm weather through the winter and bees coming out in mid winter get active and eat their food stores, start building numbers, without a good nectar flow.

I dont do anything for varroa. No chemicals in my hives. I suffer about 10 to 15% hive loss each year.