Habitat tools that work for you

scott44

5 year old buck +
When I first started habitat projects I learned the hard and expensive way that you need to protect the trees and shrubs you plant. All of the fruit trees and most of the nut trees I plant I put window screen around to keep the mice and voles from girdling my trees. I asked my wife if we had a old stapler that I could use and she gave me one and I quickly found out why it was in the back of the drawer, the thing jammed about avery 10th staple. I used it for a couple years before getting feed up with clearing the staple jams and went out and bought a decent stapler, Bostitch heavy duty stapler and haven't looked back. I was just getting things around for spring planting and was making sure I had everything and thought of this. If you have a habitat tool that works for you post it up here.

EqWEgU7.jpg

A few of the smaller things I have come to value are my "brush pants" and a good pair of work gloves. As far as "tools" go....my chainsaw and clearing saw have to be some of the best tools I have invested in that seem to have had the biggest impact. Larger things than that....my tractor.

Other things that goes beyond habitat....a good flashlight!
Tikka 22-250 is a great tool for increasing fawn survival:

o0eFseb.jpg
I got one of those myself...

Greatest habitat tool I have is my son Jacob. Works like a borrowed mule all day and doesn't complain. Climbs trees like a monkey which is quite handy when trimming shooting lanes and hanging stands. Will work for food and deer and turkey hunting. 20180412_154518.jpg

Greatest habitat tool I have is my son Jacob. Works like a borrowed mule all day and doesn't complain. Climbs trees like a monkey which is quite handy when trimming shooting lanes and hanging stands. Will work for food and deer and turkey hunting. View attachment 27949
I lost my monkey when my oldest son got married and moved out of state.

I couldn't get along without this tool. It is amazing for working in tight places around a tree planting and edges of food plots.

Hnd31nT.jpg
My silky zubat hand saw is always in my machine.
I have both these also and both are great.

My silky zubat hand saw is always in my machine.

Best tool in the woods?? Its rare that mine isnt on my hip. I'm constantly using mine. Works great for initially clearing out grass for a mock scrape.

I couldnt make it without silky saw, shovel, hammer, makita cordless kitl, 24" swisher brush mower, tin snips, torque screws, and my swingline stapler.

Lost mine sometime last year native, wife gave me shit for wearing it all the time, "safety first ya know". Felling is just not the same without it. On the purchase list for spring.

Edit: need to add, fogging up eye glasses is a pain in the ass. That thing is slick, 3 in 1.

I bought mine because of N.H.'s post about it last year. Still waiting to pop it's cherry. Granted I haven't done much dangerous work since then, but I know I really should be putting it on. Old habits die hard. This should be a good reminder to start wearing it.

A few of the smaller things I have come to value are my "brush pants" and a good pair of work gloves. As far as "tools" go....my chainsaw and clearing saw have to be some of the best tools I have invested in that seem to have had the biggest impact. Larger things than that....my tractor.

Other things that goes beyond habitat....a good flashlight!

I got one of those myself...
Is there any particular kind/brand of gloves that are tough in the briars/brush but still easy to maneuver your fingers? I have always just used the yellow leather gloves but I don't seem to be able to move my fingers well in them.

9ea2e036e5e24a0bd6abdbca08f4311e.jpg

This has been my best habitat tool. I drill a few holes and squirt in some roundup. No better way to kill a bunch of trees fast, and get sunlight to the floor. Safer (for me) and lighter than a chainsaw, and easier to get to those back steep ridges where I’m trying to create bedding. Easier (for me) to haul an extra battery as opposed to a gas can and bar oil as I don’t have a UTV. Chainsaw has its place, but only if the ground is solid enough for me to drive it to where I need to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been my best habitat tool. I drill a few holes and squirt in some roundup. No better way to kill a bunch of trees fast, and get sunlight to the floor. Safer (for me) and lighter than a chainsaw, and easier to get to those back steep ridges where I’m trying to create bedding. Easier (for me) to haul an extra battery as opposed to a gas can and bar oil as I don’t have a UTV. Chainsaw has its place, but only if the ground is solid enough for me to drive it to where I need to cut.

Will hack n squirt with Roundup work while trees are dormant? For some reason I've always used Tordon RTU in the winter but gly would be alot cheaper if it kills the same

Thanks! Should have been obvious but I’m going to try this. I’ve got a bunch of huge swamp maples at home that need to go. Shading everything out. I’ve just been looking at those crooked growing things and wondering where they’d fall.

I bought mine because of N.H.'s post about it last year. Still waiting to pop it's cherry. Granted I haven't done much dangerous work since then, but I know I really should be putting it on. Old habits die hard. This should be a good reminder to start wearing it.

Don't forget the chaps........they double as great brush guards when working through briars

bill